Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra

Default Ignition switch is junk on my 2615

Great tiome for my tractor not to start. The middle of the winter, at night, outdoors. I go to start the tractor to scrape down the driveway so the wet snow doesn't turn to ice over night & nothing. No lights, no crank, nothing. Messed around with a battery charger to find out the battery was fine. Messed around with the fuses to find the ignition switch is open all the time between common & the IGN & Start terminals. Guess I'll be looking for at least a temporary fix tomorrow.
    It is weird how it just quit,..I've never had any issue before
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want but the realization of how much you already have"
    "The best things in life,...aren't things"

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Changes often!

Default Re: Ignition switch is junk on my 2615

Ignition switch failure is rare on these. Generally a "no crank" issue is dirty battery cables, failed safety switch or a blown main fuse over by the starter. Sometimes the wires will get torn off a safety switch, that will also do it. We have sold several hundred of the 15 and 16 series, and have only repalced a couple ignition switches.

So have you got it fixed yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyld Bill View Post
    Great tiome for my tractor not to start. The middle of the winter, at night, outdoors. I go to start the tractor to scrape down the driveway so the wet snow doesn't turn to ice over night & nothing. No lights, no crank, nothing. Messed around with a battery charger to find out the battery was fine. Messed around with the fuses to find the ignition switch is open all the time between common & the IGN & Start terminals. Guess I'll be looking for at least a temporary fix tomorrow.
    It is weird how it just quit,..I've never had any issue before
    Dave
    Red Bluff, California

Tractor
    fords

Quote Originally Posted by DavesTractor View Post
    Ignition switch failure is rare on these. Generally a "no crank" issue is dirty battery cables, failed safety switch or a blown main fuse over by the starter. Sometimes the wires will get torn off a safety switch, that will also do it. We have sold several hundred of the 15 and 16 series, and have only repalced a couple ignition switches.

So have you got it fixed yet?
    i have owned two of these tractors one was a repo i ended up with and one was a case 1130 which is the same exact tractor and both of them i had to change the ingition switch on both of them so it must not be to rare atleast where im at i am 2 for 2 on these

Tractor
    Mahindra 2615 Gear

My 2615 acts up like that occasionally. What I have deduced from my struggles is either (A) the factory battery cable terminal ends are a little to big around (I've had to get shorter bolts) or the non factory (new) battery posts are smaller than the factory intended. I tighten down some more, tap around and it cranks up every time. Sounds simple but I've experienced that "now she will, now she want" several times.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Changes often!

Sounds like you are hard on igniition switches. No doubt they do fail, it just isn't common in our area. We are in a very dry area, maybe the humidity is a factor?

Quote Originally Posted by whodat526 View Post
    i have owned two of these tractors one was a repo i ended up with and one was a case 1130 which is the same exact tractor and both of them i had to change the ingition switch on both of them so it must not be to rare atleast where im at i am 2 for 2 on these
    Dave
    Red Bluff, California

Tractor
    Rehab of modern wrecks, now ranging from a 20 HP tractor, to a little Cat 320, to a really fun Cat 953 dirt mover.

Quote Originally Posted by whodat526 View Post
    I'm interested in knowing more about the Case connection. I knew that Cub Cadet sold these Mitsubishi tractors as their 7200 series. How many other "American" names sold what became the Mahindra 15-Series tractors?

Tractor
    fords

i know the case 1120, 1130, and 1140 where mitsubishi tractors they look identical to the mahindras

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MT180D

I had similar problem with switch.
    Shoot some WD-40 into the key slot and that should do the trick.

They assemble the switches with a lubricant (kinda grease) that dries up with time.
    The WD softens the lube and gets her going again.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra

I guess I never go tback to this thread. The ignition switch on these is junk!
    I took the failed one apart for post mortom examination. There is a post in the center of the rotary switch. The copper plates that rotate to switch the contacts are stacked on this post or pin. THIS POST IS PLASTIC!!! So no big surprise what happened, the plates wore a deep grove into the plastic post & this was fouling things up. I bought another stock switch for now but the next time it happens I'll be replacing it with a standard marine ignition switch from Napa.
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want but the realization of how much you already have"
    "The best things in life,...aren't things"

Tractor
    Mahindra 3015 HST

Wyld Bill, I have a 3015 that has been dead for a few days. Working fine lugging firewood, then wouldn't start. Nothing. Found the 60amp inline fuse blown. After getting new fuse at NAPA ($2.85), dealer wanted $22, i have hazards, but it blows the fuse when i turn the key to the glow plug. I put another fuse in and turned the key all the way and the starter cranked a few times before the fuse blew again. I looked at all harnesses, all looks good. Do you think it could be the ignition switch? I figure it is either the switch or glow plugs or something after the switch. If these switches are junk, it would make sense that could be it. Thanks for any input.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast