How to replace 2015 Battery?

/ How to replace 2015 Battery? #1  

knute_m

Gold Member
Moved from Hilltop Hollow, WV to Outskirts of Winc
Tractor
Down to my lovable little red Mahindra with FEL, and backhoe.
I can't figure out how to remove the old battery on my 2015. It won't fit out of any of the openings.

If I try to pull it straight up, it is blocked by studs from a welded bracket in front of the radiator. It is too wide to slide out the side when the side panels are removed.

It looks like they put the battery in, and then built the tractor around it.

Any help?? I have an exact replacement, so I'll have the same problem installing the new one.

/ How to replace 2015 Battery?
I did eventually get the old battery out by loosening the front grill so the back of the headlights were out of the way, disconnecting the wiring harnesses to the lights, removing the clamp that holds the side panel onto the the tractor, and then turning the battery on its end and sliding it out the side. Not nice, because acid comes out! I was then able to force the battery out.

The maximum dimension in any direction of the battery compartment is 7 inches. The minimum battery dimension is 7-1/2 inches wide, or 7-1/2 inches high.

/ How to replace 2015 Battery? #3  
I can't figure out how to remove the old battery on my 2015. It won't fit out of any of the openings.

If I try to pull it straight up, it is blocked by studs from a welded bracket in front of the radiator. It is too wide to slide out the side when the side panels are removed.

It looks like they put the battery in, and then built the tractor around it.

Any help?? I have an exact replacement, so I'll have the same problem installing the new one.

Remove the front grille and headlamp panel. It can be accomplished by removing the top 2 bolts on the grille panel and bending it out.

/ How to replace 2015 Battery? #4  
I do not know all the battery types but you could look for a slightly smaller battery but of a higher quality. There is different construction methods other than just CCA. The smaller battery would make it easier to replace, the higher quality should last longer.
Craig Clayton

/ How to replace 2015 Battery?
Galen -- I did come to the conclusion that removing the grill would work. But that would have been a major operation. Besides the dead battery, no easy way to jump it where it was parked, and heavy snow, I just could not bring myself to removing the loader so that I could remove the brush guard. It was a five year old Exide, which I replaced with an identical model.

Just as a heads up to others with 2015s that are about five years old, the batteries will probably start failing soon, if they already haven't. Don't do like me. Plan ahead when it starts getting weak, and do it the right way, on a warm sunny day.

Also, this is probably the only difficult maintenance I've encountered on the 2015. In general, the 2015 is extremely easy to work on. It appears these tractors were designed for smaller batteries that were upgraded to larger batteries when these tractors were still sold as Cub Cadet 7200 series.

Last edited:
   / How to replace 2015 Battery? #6  
Remove the front grille and headlamp panel. It can be accomplished by removing the top 2 bolts on the grille panel and bending it out.

Please note that all 4 bolts holding on the front grill assembly need to be removed--2 top and 2 bottom so the battery can come out the front. The bottom 2 bolts may require that the loader be removed for access.

/ How to replace 2015 Battery? #7  
All great suggestions will try this today and hopefully will be successful , being a Newby owner thank you