Very basic PTO question

/ Very basic PTO question #1  

graculus

Tractor
Mahindra
Sorry for an absolute beginner question. I'm probably going to get a rear pto rotary mower. As far as I can tell those mowers have a telescoping PTO drive shaft, so my question is since the shaft isn't a fixed length what retains it on the pto output shaft of the tractor?

/ Very basic PTO question #2  
Sorry for an absolute beginner question. I'm probably going to get a rear pto rotary mower. As far as I can tell those mowers have a telescoping PTO drive shaft, so my question is since the shaft isn't a fixed length what retains it on the pto output shaft of the tractor?

There's a groove around the tractor's PTO shaft, & a spring-loaded doo-hicky (stud? actually "retainer" is a good word) inside your implement's PTO shaft coupler should snap inside your tractor's PTO shaft's groove to secure the PTO shaft to the PTO.

When connecting your implement's PTO shaft to your tractor's PTO shaft make very sure the coupler's retainer does snap into place.

(Not the best terminology, but I think this explains it)

/ Very basic PTO question
Aha, thanks, that makes sense. I did notice the groove on the output shaft but not having looked up the business end of a mower drive shaft didn't realize there would be a spring-loaded doo-hicky in there.

Then there's also the drive shaft cover that has to be secured somehow (chain?), I see a hole in the metal hood over the ouput shaft, is that what that's for?

/ Very basic PTO question #4  
Then there's also the drive shaft cover that has to be secured somehow (chain?), I see a hole in the metal hood over the ouput shaft, is that what that's for?

Yes, you should connect the lightweight chain (usually provided with a PTO-driven implement) from the implement's PTO shaft cover to some fixed, stationary point on either the tractor (the hole in the metal hood) or the implement; This keeps the drive shaft cover from spinning, since it would otherwise be riding free on the PTO shaft & would spin like crazy, too.

/ Very basic PTO question #5  
Note that a fixed length shaft is not an option. The shaft length must be able to change some as the implement moves up and down. A shaft too long [one that will not telescope down to short enuf] will damage the tractor or implement by jamming the transmission shaft inward.:eek:
larry

/ Very basic PTO question
The shaft length must be able to change some as the implement moves up and down. larry

Thanks, yes, I did manage to figure out that part, sorry if my post implied otherwise.

beppington: Thank you again.

I am well aware of the dangers of spinning shafts so you can be sure I'll be trying to do everything right and checking it more than once.

/ Very basic PTO question #7  
Welcome to the Forum and to tractor ownership as well..

David from jax

/ Very basic PTO question #8  
Some newer shafts have a locking ring you turn clockwise to lock on the groove in your tractor's PTO shaft and you turn counter clockwise to unlock and remove it.
hugs, Brandi

/ Very basic PTO question #9  
Some newer shafts have a locking ring you turn clockwise to lock on the groove in your tractor's PTO shaft and you turn counter clockwise to unlock and remove it.
hugs, Brandi

This is true. In fact I have one, but even it is spring-loaded - So as long as it's fairly clean & in fairly good shape, it the springs want to twist it tight. As it gets dirty or wears out, it needs a little help.

/ Very basic PTO question #10  
This is true. In fact I have one, but even it is spring-loaded - So as long as it's fairly clean & in fairly good shape, it the springs want to twist it tight. As it gets dirty or wears out, it needs a little help.

Being new to tractors and with little knowledge of PTO operations. PLEASE make sure the dealer who sells you the PTO driven implement cuts, if needed, and adjusts your PTO shaft.

This is very important, I can't be too long, for reasons stated above nor to short.

Always think safety when you are around a PTO driven implement. I had a friend get his pant leg caught on a PTO shaft he broke his leg in many places.

Just be careful. If you follow all the safety direction you will be fine.

Don