12" or 18" subsoiler. How much HP needed?

/ 12" or 18" subsoiler. How much HP needed? #1  

DonWorrell

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3325
Will a Mahindra 3325 (35 hp) pull a subsioler? I am not talking about middle buster with a plow or cultivator blade. I am thinking about a 12 inch to 18 inch steel shank about 1" by 3" with a point. I would like to put it at least 12 inches in the ground.

I have a few place where water stands. I want to break up the hard pan.

But do Ii have enough tractor? I do know I want one with a shear bolt incase I hit a big root or large rock.

Any ideas or suggestions.

Don

Last edited:
   / 12" or 18" subsoiler. How much HP needed? #2  
Will a Mahindra 3325 (35 hp) pull a subsioler? I am not talking about middle buster with a plow or cultivator blade. I am thinking about a 12 inch to 18 inch steel shank about 1" by 3" with a point. I would like to put it at least 12 inches in the ground.

I have a few place where water stands. I want to break up the hard pan.

But do Ii have enough tractor? I do know I want one with a shear bolt incase I hit a big root or large rock.

Any ideas or suggestions.

Don

Go for it. YOu should be able to pull a single shank with that hp.
The most efficient style subsoiler (lowest drag) is the parabolic shank design.

Agriculture Subsoilers - Monroe Tufline

/ 12" or 18" subsoiler. How much HP needed? #3  
The tough part getting that deep will be the angle of the point as you lower the 3 ph. Without adjusting that point as you drop into the ground, more than a single pass may be necessary.

Traction will be the main problem, not the 35 hp. Ag R-1's will help (better than R-4's).

For counter the compression forces on the top arm, I use a short chain to pull on the single tooth below the lower 3 ph arms and pull directly from the tractor drawbar. Don't have the top arm on at all.

/ 12" or 18" subsoiler. How much HP needed? #4  
I got one of the subsoilers at TSC and it will go down right at 12" or a little more. My tractor is 41 hp and handles it just fine. When you hang a rock or whatever, it will stop the tractor and your wheels will spin. I go in a very low gear (read - slow) when subsoiling and haven't had any problems - go faster and you risk breaking something. My hydraulic toplink really helps when subsoiling too, can change angle of attack as needed.