2516 4wd electrical problem

/ 2516 4wd electrical problem #1  

mpreese811

Hello all, I am new to the site and have a question that maybe you can help with. I own a 2516 4wd that will not turn over. I have checked and cleaned the battery connections, check the fuses, pulled and had the starter tested, bypassed the safety switches and jumped the starter with the result being the starter engaging the flywheel but not starting the tractor. What else can i check? Is it possible to have a bad ignition relay or something? I am at my wits end here. Any help would be appreciated.

/ 2516 4wd electrical problem #3  
I occasionally have trouble with my PTO safety switch. I know you stated that you bypassed the 'safeties', but it never hurts to double check. Do your glow plugs come on and cycle, and can you hear the fuel pump running?

/ 2516 4wd electrical problem
I occasionally have trouble with my PTO safety switch. I know you stated that you bypassed the 'safeties', but it never hurts to double check. Do your glow plugs come on and cycle, and can you hear the fuel pump running?

Yes the glow plugs come on and fuel pump cycles. Would the relays and or controllers on the firewall have anything to do with the problem.

And where is a good place to find replacement switches other than the dealer?

/ 2516 4wd electrical problem
Ok, so I was tinkering today with the pto safety switch and found that the plunger was crocked in the hole, so i got it to where it went down like it was supposed to. went to start the tractor and blew the main fuse. Do you think there is a short in the switch?

/ 2516 4wd electrical problem #6  
You may have damaged the inside parts of the switch and now part of the circuit maybe shorting out. Take an Ohm meter and check the switch to make short it's not. More than likely it is as that fuse is probably at least a 15 amp fuse and the only way to blow that is a direct short to ground.

Last edited: