Mahindra 5010 Gear

/ Mahindra 5010 Gear #1  

pburd

Tractor
Mahindra 5010 Gear
I recently purchased a new 2011 5010 Gear with FEL. This model is new to the Mahindra line so there is little end user data.

I have decided to post my input for those interested in this tractor. I know TBN has a Review page but I haven't had the tractor long enough to post a valid review at this time.

I purchased the 5010 on May 31, 2011 from Dave's Tractor Inc., Red Bluff, CA. My priorities were 4WD, 3/4 - 1 yard capacity FEL, lift height, capacity and breakout force, price and manufacturer in that order.

Research determined that for a bucket of this capacity and lift height, I needed at least a 50HP tractor. I compared the Mahindra with John Deere, Kubota, New Holland, MF, and some I can't remember. The Mahindra won hands down in all my requirements and with the 5 year power train warranty it was a no-brainer.

The list price on this tractor here in Northern California was $22.5K. The closest I could come to that was a 2004 John Deere 5105 with over 200 hours and it didn't meet my loader requirements. I am not trashing John Deere, I had to sell my beloved 790 to purchase the 5010. However, I still have a JD L100 lawn tractor. :)

Positives to date: Ability to lift the heaviest material I have, with plenty of power to spare. Breakout power is phenomenal. Huge floor space for my size 12 feet. Can get on and off from both sides although the loader controls are partially in the way on the right side. The ability to shift gears on the fly. Seat, seat back and driver weight adjustments. Steering wheel tilt. Feels very tight, no rattles or noises. Bucket has same locking mechanism as a Bobcat Skid Steer, easy on and off. Can load a 9 ft. high truck bed. The seat is positioned so that it is easy to see the PTO and line up attachments.

Negatives to date: The loader controls are mounted on the right loader post. Uncomfortable to operate and subtle control is difficult. I am spoiled with the John Deere controls and this will take some getting used to. The seat cannot be flipped up which leaves it exposed to the elements. A towel is mandatory on wet days. :) Back-end is light, wants to float with a heavy bucket load. Had to mount my box-scraper to offset the weight. Will need to ballast the rear tires. The seatbelt has no holders so just flops around when not in use. The right side belt has an adjuster that freely moves up and down and twists on the belt. I would cut the excess off if I wasn't afraid I might gain weight. Engine seems to run cold, it barely lifts of the cold mark even at 2500 rpm. Dealer stated someone else had the same concern and he would do some research. Issue pending.

06/04/2011 I have only 5 hours on this tractor, over time I'll be adding more comments.

Last edited:
   / Mahindra 5010 Gear #2  
Looking forward to the updates. The 5010 is a tractor I would consider if I ever upgrade. :thumbsup:

/ Mahindra 5010 Gear #3  
We sold a few of these last week and two guys have mentioned that they just seem to run cold. Both guys are currently just doing loader work. Better than hot for sure, but we are going to dyno one with a good load and see what that does, as well as measuring the temp with a non-contact thermometer to see what it reads. We need to know if we are running cold, or just reading cold. We will do a little testing and the Mahindra Service Rep will be here in a week to look at the results.

With a loader capacity of nearly 3000 lbs, some extra ballast is sure a good idea.

We like good input from experienced operators like Pburd. Thanks.

/ Mahindra 5010 Gear #4  
We built a couple more 5010's yesterday and had a chance to dyno one this morning for purposes of checking the temp gauge. When we put 40 HP load on the PTO, it takes just a few minutes to come up to mid-range on the gauge. When we put the load back down to 20HP or so, like you might be using just running around the ranch and doing some loader work, the gauge drops down to just above cold again. It's a very good sign regarding radiator capacity. I am not sure why the thermostat opens so early. I have passed the info on to MUSA.

If we have to have a heating discussion about a tractor, it is sure good that we are wondering if we need to make it run warmer under light load, not wondering how to keep it cool under a heavy load. It does that just fine.

So for you 5010 owners, work your tractor a little and it will get to temp. Meanwhile, I'll look into the thermostat issue some and see why it is opening so soon.

/ Mahindra 5010 Gear
I really appreciate you following up on the temp. issue Dave. Looking forward to Mahindra's response.

I now have 20 hrs. on my 5010 and want to provide an update. Ballasting the rear tires resolved the weight balance issue. It now feels very stable with a full bucket.

I recently drove the tractor down a dirt road that has a short grade of about 7 - 8 percent. I had the transmission in high range and 1st gear allowing the engine and transmission to maintain my speed going down the grade. Twice the transmission slipped out of 1st gear. There was no noise and the only indication that I was free-wheeling was when the tractor suddenly increased speed. I put it back into 1st and it did the same thing.
I'm not sure if there is a linkage adjustment but will update this thread when I get it resolved.

/ Mahindra 5010 Gear #6  
I really appreciate you following up on the temp. issue Dave. Looking forward to Mahindra's response.

I now have 20 hrs. on my 5010 and want to provide an update. Ballasting the rear tires resolved the weight balance issue. It now feels very stable with a full bucket.

I recently drove the tractor down a dirt road that has a short grade of about 7 - 8 percent. I had the transmission in high range and 1st gear allowing the engine and transmission to maintain my speed going down the grade. Twice the transmission slipped out of 1st gear. There was no noise and the only indication that I was free-wheeling was when the tractor suddenly increased speed. I put it back into 1st and it did the same thing.
I'm not sure if there is a linkage adjustment but will update this thread when I get it resolved.

A little update from our looking into the cooling issue and the shifter detent issue:

On the cooling, the thermostat opens at 165 degrees. Combine a low opening thermostat temp, a big radiator, and a fairly large bypass hose and if you aren't working the tractor much the coolant remains about 165 degrees. The needle does not move off the cold peg until 50 C, or about 122 F. The OEM says this is as designed and all is well. The cooling system is desgined for a tractor that is using a good portion of it's 50 HP on a hot day, and will keep the unit cool. Running cool under a light load is going to be as designed for this unit. I suppose if the tractor always sees light work, one could ask Mahindra if a hotter thermostat would be appropriate, but honestly I'd just leave it alone.

On the detent issue, we have sold a bunch of these 5010's and we have seen this once, and it was almost the exact same scenario. It is with a customer with 2.5 miles of private gravel roads that he grades regularly. It is in the hills, and he too has a 10% plus grade and with the tires filled and a heavy float on the back, if he is in high range 1st gear under compression going down hill, with the float in the air, the shifter will walk itself into neutral. We replaced his detent ball and srping and that fixed it. 5 minute job. Phil, I'll order you one and you can see if this works for you as well.

/ Mahindra 5010 Gear
Appreciate your response Dave. I don't know how many dealers take the time or interest to follow up on a customers concerns/remarks on a public forum, but in my opinion the customer support I have experienced with Dave's Tractor Inc. in Red Bluff, CA. (shameless plug) is second to none and that is more valuable to me than name brand.

/ Mahindra 5010 Gear
Update: Coming up on 50 hours now. Tractor is performing very well. At 23 hrs. the glow plug light came on and wouldn't go off. Took it to dealer, and the problem was traced to the Glow Plug Controller which is under the dashboard. They replaced it promptly. I replaced the shift detent springs myself which was a no brainer. I have a minor leak at the bucket controller valve body that I will address in the near future.

/ Mahindra 5010 Gear #9  
pburd:
I am looking at the 5010 as a possibility. Was that price you quoted with the FEL? Was it the cash price also?
I am currently looking at a 5010 and a 5530 at the dealer. But he is quoting around 26,500 with FEL. Seems pretty high from what I have seen on TBN.
I just saw on the Mahindra site that the 5010 comes without a cab also. Was this a quote for a 5010 without a cab? The one we were quoted was with a cab.
thx

Last edited:
   / Mahindra 5010 Gear #10  
pburd - you mentioned in your first post that you could shift on the fly. All the spec sheet that I have says about the 5010 gear is a constant mesh. I assumed it wasn't sychronized. How hard is it to shift while you're moving. Is it synchronized or do you need to match engine speed to the next gear like an older truck?