Mahindra 5500 - comments please

/ Mahindra 5500 - comments please #1  

Anonymous Poster

I am requesting comments, suggestions, and ideas on the Mahindra 00 tractors, particularly the 5500. (I know its a little late since I've already bought the 5500.)
I recently purchased a Mahindra 5500 2wd (my very first tractor) from Stacy Scott of Scott Tractor in Richland, Ms. although I started initial discussions and purchase arrangements with the Mahindra District Manager, Mike Junkin of Grenada, Ms. Both men were invaluable in making the selection and the purchasing process.
It is my understanding that the 4500, 5500, & 6000 are all the same "frame"/size but the 4500 is a 3cyl 42 eng. hp while the 5500 & 6000 are 4 cyl w/ 54 & 59 eng. hp respectively. Note on the 5500, the brochure lists PTO hp as 44 but the owners manual lists 46 PTO hp. Both men I dealt with indicated this is underated due to the EPA(?) testing/reporting methods. Stacy commented that they generally see 4 to 6 more hp than shown in the literature. Sales pitch/smoke & mirrors I don't know - your comments pls.
I bought my 5500 2wd and equipment during the Dixie National Rodeo & Horse Show in Jackson, Ms. there was a show rebate from the Mfg. and show discounts involved. I purchased the 5500, a Monroe Tufline 6 1/2' disc (sealed bearings), Monroe Tufline 6' box blade (w/teeth), & an International (not Harvester) 6' cutter/clipper all for a little over $14,00.00 delivered (125 mi.).
I wanted an FEL but just didn't have the $$$ - hope to add later. Interestingly Stacy said the Mahindra FEL was better than the other brand he sells that would fit and actually costs a little less - no adaptor needed. He also advised Mahindra wouldn't honor warranty if damage was due to non Mahindra FEL - that sounds reasonable.
My only reservation about the "spec. equip." is the 36 amp alternator. I know there isn't a lot of electrical equip. to run - no big honking boom-thump stereo. But 36 amp just seems small.
I agree with another forum contributor I think Mahindra is making an agressive effort to capture market share in the under 70hp (100 hp soon?) market, particularly here in the South. They offer 3 yr warranty - 1st yr "bumper to bumper", last 2 yrs engine & drive train, very attractive financing, and what I think is a darn good tractor for the $$$. The dealer I used sold 350 -400 Mahindras last year, he also sells FarmTrac and Mc Cormick.
I am requesting comments, information, and suggestions on the Mahindras and how best to use, and preserve my equipment.

/ Mahindra 5500 - comments please #2  
Mahindra tractors work. They may not have all the refinements of the big three, but I can tell you from experience, they get the job done. Value for the dollar, no question Mahindra ranks at the top. They are telling you correctly on the pto hp. There is a test called a dyno test that puts a load on the pto and can test the amount of pto hp. My dealer has done this on many Mahindra 00 series tractors and they have all rated 4-6 hp more than claimed. I will bet you that once Mahindra gets a foothold in the US, you will see their prices increase in small amounts over time to get their profit margin up. So, if you buy right today, with a company with a stratagy such as Mahindra's, your tractor tomorrow will hold its value well.

/ Mahindra 5500 - comments please
Slippy - thank you very much for the reply. I don't have but about 1hr on my 5500 but everything I've seen, and heard gives me exactly the same impression you expressed. I am glad to hear about the hp info. I am considering have mine dyno'd when they do the 50 hour maintenance ( if I can afford it). Again thanks for the reply.
PS - to avoid confusion 4570 is a rifle caliber NOT a JD model

/ Mahindra 5500 - comments please #4  
I've been researching brands for awhile, and I just discovered a Mahindra dealer within an hour's drive. I've never had the chance to see one "up close and personal".

Does Mahindra offer any kind of shuttle shift transmission, or are all of the models gear trannys? I don't feel an overriding need to have hydro, but I think I would like some kind of shuttle.

You mentioned that you paid just over $14,000 for your 5500. Would you mind splitting out what the base price for just the tractor was? In my limited experience, that price sounds pretty good for a 54 HP tractor and attachments.

I plan on visiting this dealer soon so that I can see for myself. I'm looking for something in the 35 - 45 HP range.

Thanks for any help. Enjoy your 5500! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif How 'bout some pictures of it?

/ Mahindra 5500 - comments please #5  
I got hold of Mahindra and asked about a 5500 4X4 with loader, he quoted 22500. At that I was impressed. Sure wish they would get them out on the west coast, I would like to see one personally.

/ Mahindra 5500 - comments please #6  
All Mahindra 4wd models have a syncro shuttle transmission, the "10" series 2310,2810,3510,4110 all have 12spd's,
the "00" 4wd series 4500,5500,6000 have 8spd's.

/ Mahindra 5500 - comments please
I can't say about the shuttle vs tranny I just don't know what they offer. The asking for my 5500 was $12,800.00 - BUT as I said I bought it during a "major" horse show & rodeo and there were considerable mfgr and dealer incentives. I would suggest you look at the 4500 its rated 42 engine hp/38 PTO hp. It is my understanding the 4500/5500/6000 are all the same "size/frame" but he 4500 is 3cyl & the 5500 & 6000 are 4cyl., so you can get more hp in the same size depending on $$$. Check out www.mahindrausa.com, and by all means take a trip to that dealer and check them out. The Mahindra may not have the "spit & polish" of some other brands - but spit & polish isn't what does the work.
4570Forever

/ Mahindra 5500 - comments please #8  
Mahindra has three different tractor lines to choose from. The C-series,"00" and "10" series.

There is a hydro 2810

The "00" series now has a 6500 also.