4530 severe gear whine in 4wd

/ 4530 severe gear whine in 4wd #1  

cdover73

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 Mahindra 4530
My 4530 has started producing a loud whine from the transmission area when I put it in 4wd. It does not do it in 2wd. I checked my fluids and just had a full service about 75 hrs ago. It has always had a little whine to it, but now it's very loud. Tractor is going on 5 yrs old with about 320 hrs on it. Any thoughts?

/ 4530 severe gear whine in 4wd #2  
My 4530 has started producing a loud whine from the transmission area when I put it in 4wd. It does not do it in 2wd. I checked my fluids and just had a full service about 75 hrs ago. It has always had a little whine to it, but now it's very loud. Tractor is going on 5 yrs old with about 320 hrs on it. Any thoughts?

Cdover73,
I can't think of any right now. If it was real close to your last fluid change, I would go pick the brain of whoever performed the fluid change.
I would also inquire as to what fluid was used.
hugs, Brandi

/ 4530 severe gear whine in 4wd #3  
Check your tire pressure, sounds like the backs are turning out of sequence with the fronts big time.

/ 4530 severe gear whine in 4wd
My dealership did the service. We had oil samples run on the fluids and everything came back within specs. I asked for that because I am use to maintaining a fleet of heavy equipment and we do that every oil change. Not sure what they use but it should be manufacturer recommended. Singleton's are pretty reliable so I'm sure it's the right type.

Funny you mention the tire pressure. I called Singleton's this morning after finding pressure on my transmission when checking the fluid level. When I unscrewed the dipstick for the tranny there was a fair amount of pressure that released. The tractor had sit all night without being started so I knew something was up. Anyway, after pulling the breather on the rear of the tractor for the tranny, I couldn't blow through it at all. I finally got it cleaned enough to vent and reinstalled. When I called them, they told me to check the tire pressure regarding the whine. I'm embarassed to say that I run 32 lbs front and back (and wonder why the tractor is so rough...). Mr. Mike told me to run no more than 15 rear and 20 front. He said 10 rear and 15 front should be enough! I checked my psi and LR was 30, RR was 18, LF was 10, and RF was 27! I bled them all down to what he suggested and the ride improved, but I have not been able to test the gear whine yet. I am going to fill all four tires with water tomorrow and see what it does.

I guess a little maintenance goes a long way!

Thanks for the replies.