Tractor
    mahindra 6000 2 wd

Default 6000 2 wd pto shift lever problem

I just had a new pto shaft put in the 6000 and worked fine till yesterday. When I engaged it there was no grinding or anything but the shift just sorta went limp.....like it's not connected to anything inside. Is this accessible from the top under the seat? roll pin possibly holding the shift to the collar? I ordered a manual but it won't be here till Friday or so. Any help welcome> Thanks.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6000 MWFD, 2 1950's Farmalls, 1974 Farmall 140, 1967 Mf 135Delux

Default Re: 6000 2 wd pto shift lever problem

This is a dumb question, but did you check the PTO linkage from the lever back to where it goes into the left side of the differential?? BobG in Va

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra -------------

Quote Originally Posted by rwcaldwell View Post
    I just had a new pto shaft put in the 6000 and worked fine till yesterday. When I engaged it there was no grinding or anything but the shift just sorta went limp.....like it's not connected to anything inside. Is this accessible from the top under the seat? roll pin possibly holding the shift to the collar? I ordered a manual but it won't be here till Friday or so. Any help welcome> Thanks.
    I believe you lost the screw that attaches the plate that holds the linkage in the transmission case. PM me your email address and I will send you the parts breakdown of it.
    Galen LaWall
    Your Mahindra Tractor Dealer
    185 Pearl Street
    Batavia, New York 14020

Tractor
    mahindra 6000 2 wd

I'll post this for anyone having the same problem. The lever goes into the left side of the tractor through a plate held by 3 bolts. Remove the step for better access, take the bolts out and work the pto lever assembly out the side. There is a shift lever on the end of the pto shaft that fits into a slip collar that rides on the pto shaft. On mine the little pin (kinda like a roll pin) had sheared and thus the shaft was just turning in the shift shaft lever. From what I have read and heard this is a pretty common problem with mahindras. I had to take a magnet to find the shift lever that had fallen. Anyway, not a bad fix. The little roll type pin costs about $2. I hope this helps someone else with similar problem.