Tractor
    2009 Mahindra 2816 Gear

Default 2816 - Front Differential - Gear oil or hydraulic fluid?

Hi All,

What are you thoughts on using gear oil over hydraulic fluid for the front differential? I have read several threads about Mahindra's owners manuals having conflicting information regarding hydraulic fluid or gear oil for the front differential. I have a 2816 gear and I am nearing my 200 service hour. When I performed my 50 hour service, I replaced the front differential fluid with McCormick HTX hydraulic fluid.

Here lately I have been hearing and reading that gear oil might be a better option especially if you subject a tractor to a lot of loader work. I have been calling multiple Mahindra dealers in the area and 2 out of 4 recommend gear oil.

I contacted Mahindra USA and they tell me they recommend trans-hydraulic fluid and go on to say that gear oil won't hurt either. I really want a piece of mind knowing that my front differential is getting lubricated properly.
    Last edited by nelsond7004; 09-29-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Silver Member
    Approved Advertiser

Tractor
    Mahindra's

Default Re: 2816 - Front Differential - Gear oil or hydraulic fluid?

They come with trans/hyd fluid from the factory, thats what we put in when servicing them and have yet had a front diff failure.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Changes often!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsond7004 View Post
    Hi All,

What are you thoughts on using gear oil over hydraulic fluid for the front differential? I have read several threads about Mahindra's owners manuals having conflicting information regarding hydraulic fluid or gear oil for the front differential. I have a 2816 gear and I am nearing my 200 service hour. When I performed my 50 hour service, I replaced the front differential fluid with McCormick HTX hydraulic fluid.

Here lately I have been hearing and reading that gear oil might be a better option especially if you subject a tractor to a lot of loader work. I have been calling multiple Mahindra dealers in the area and 2 out of 4 recommend gear oil.

I contacted Mahindra USA and they tell me they recommend trans-hydraulic fluid and go on to say that gear oil won't hurt either. I really want a piece of mind knowing that my front differential is getting lubricated properly.
    Mitsubishi, and therefore Mahindra, recommend hy-trans. But years ago they recommended gear oil. I'd say either works, but we always use hy-trans and that is the preferred fluid.
    Dave
    Dave's Tractor, Inc.
    Red Bluff, California

Tractor
    2009 Mahindra 2816 Gear

Thanks for the replies. I will stick with the hy-trans. Most dealers that I have spoken to lately say that other big tractor names are using hydraulic fluid as well for the front differential.