Oil & Fuel 2816 - Front Differential - Gear oil or hydraulic fluid?

/ 2816 - Front Differential - Gear oil or hydraulic fluid? #1  

nelsond7004

Silver Member
Tractor
2009 Mahindra 2816 Gear
Hi All,

What are you thoughts on using gear oil over hydraulic fluid for the front differential? I have read several threads about Mahindra's owners manuals having conflicting information regarding hydraulic fluid or gear oil for the front differential. I have a 2816 gear and I am nearing my 200 service hour. When I performed my 50 hour service, I replaced the front differential fluid with McCormick HTX hydraulic fluid.

Here lately I have been hearing and reading that gear oil might be a better option especially if you subject a tractor to a lot of loader work. I have been calling multiple Mahindra dealers in the area and 2 out of 4 recommend gear oil.

I contacted Mahindra USA and they tell me they recommend trans-hydraulic fluid and go on to say that gear oil won't hurt either. I really want a piece of mind knowing that my front differential is getting lubricated properly.

Last edited:
   / 2816 - Front Differential - Gear oil or hydraulic fluid? #2  
They come with trans/hyd fluid from the factory, thats what we put in when servicing them and have yet had a front diff failure.

/ 2816 - Front Differential - Gear oil or hydraulic fluid? #3  
Hi All,

What are you thoughts on using gear oil over hydraulic fluid for the front differential? I have read several threads about Mahindra's owners manuals having conflicting information regarding hydraulic fluid or gear oil for the front differential. I have a 2816 gear and I am nearing my 200 service hour. When I performed my 50 hour service, I replaced the front differential fluid with McCormick HTX hydraulic fluid.

Here lately I have been hearing and reading that gear oil might be a better option especially if you subject a tractor to a lot of loader work. I have been calling multiple Mahindra dealers in the area and 2 out of 4 recommend gear oil.

I contacted Mahindra USA and they tell me they recommend trans-hydraulic fluid and go on to say that gear oil won't hurt either. I really want a piece of mind knowing that my front differential is getting lubricated properly.

Mitsubishi, and therefore Mahindra, recommend hy-trans. But years ago they recommended gear oil. I'd say either works, but we always use hy-trans and that is the preferred fluid.

/ 2816 - Front Differential - Gear oil or hydraulic fluid?
Thanks for the replies. I will stick with the hy-trans. Most dealers that I have spoken to lately say that other big tractor names are using hydraulic fluid as well for the front differential.