electrical ???

/ electrical ??? #1  

sparky123

hi all,
I have a mahindra 2816,went to start it,glow plug light goes out and click,click dead battery.check battery and not dead,now no glow plug "on" light or starter sol clicking,just a buzz behind dash.no lights work.I cleaned the battery terminals both at the battery and frame/starter,checked all fuses,tried to "jump the sol on the starter to at least turn it over and nothing.Im a long way from a shop so I need to fix my self,not to say my barn is knee deep in you know what.thanks

/ electrical ??? #2  
Do you have a 12 volt light with wire clips attach to battery and try to start. if light dims or goes out may be battery or loose connection.
If stays bright then attach to starter wire if there is light when trying to start go to the next connection working toward the starter. Could be the starter is not getting the voltage or maybe the gear is locked into a bind loosen the starter bolts and see if now spins. Some where you should see a quick difference. of course have a volt meter is same concept.

answer back on what you find.
ken

/ electrical ??? #3  
check battery and not dead,

Since you've already checked your connections, it sure sounds like a dead battery.

Above, you said you checked the battery and it wasn't dead. How did you check it? Sometimes a multimeter isn't enough. A battery in good condition and fully charged shows 12.6VDC. However, a battery can show >12VDC but not deliver sufficient starting current to turn the starter. Especially after running the glow plug. Boost it. If the tractor starts, it's almost surely the battery.

/ electrical ???
I tried to jump it,swapped batteries with my other tractor-no go.I did check with a volt meter for current drop,it drops when i switch on the glow plugs,and drops more when i turn it to the start poss.the glow plug light or any other dash / idiot lights come on.no head lights/flashers only a "buzz" from the little box behind the dash.the starter is disengaged ,i'm at a loss.

/ electrical ??? #5  
Might check ground cable to frame

/ electrical ??? #6  
I tried to jump it,swapped batteries with my other tractor-no go.I did check with a volt meter for current drop,it drops when i switch on the glow plugs,and drops more when i turn it to the start poss.the glow plug light or any other dash / idiot lights come on.no head lights/flashers only a "buzz" from the little box behind the dash.the starter is disengaged ,i'm at a loss.
Was this voltage check directly on the battery terminal studs (not the connectors) or was it measured elsewhere? If the voltage does not drop when measured directly on the battery terminal studs you should be able to move the positive meter lead to subsequent points, connector on battery, solenoid stud, in the circuit to see where you lose the voltage.

drg1 Might check ground cable to frame
+1 on this suggestion. I looked at my 2216 and the negative cable is bolted the painted frame which could be prone to losing a good connection.

/ electrical ???
the first thing i did was grind the paint from the frame where the ground wire connects ,no difference i guess that would have been to easy.i measured the voltage at the battery connection at the starter,i will check across the battery in a few,is the voltage susposed to drop? I may have to bite the bullet and call the service dept. $$$:(

/ electrical ??? #8  
the first thing i did was grind the paint from the frame where the ground wire connects ,no difference i guess that would have been to easy.i measured the voltage at the battery connection at the starter,i will check across the battery in a few,is the voltage susposed to drop? I may have to bite the bullet and call the service dept. $$$:(

98% of the time if the battery is hot, the problems of a no crank can be identified in just a couple of minutes. The leading cause is a safety switch that is not engaged or has failed or a bad connection. Seems you have eliminated the bad connection possibility. There are also a couple of main fuses by the starter, sort of square looking units. If they are bad and your dealer isn't nearby, most auto parts stores carry these. They aren't special. We sell a couple of those a year, so it is a rare failure but possible. Out of hundreds and hundreds of Mitsubishi built Mahindras we have sold, I don't think we have seen any starter failures, except for guys that drowned a tractor in the creek or something, so that is unliklely. If you are safe about it, tractor in neutral range, brake on, etc, you can bring a good ground and a good positive lead right to the starter from a known good battery and then jump across the solenoid and quickly test the starter. If it cranks there and you have a good battery in the tractor, then you need to figure out what is in between that has failed. As such you could look at fuses, ignitions switch (rarely fail) and safety switches.

These are pretty simple tractors with simple electronics, so take another look at the situation and I bet you will get it fixed.

/ electrical ??? #9  
Sparky,
That happened to us once, it was a black square fuse on the left side by the engine compartment, near the starter.
Replaced it and it fired right up.

/ electrical ??? #10  
Sparky123 said:
tried to "jump the sol on the starter to at least turn it over and nothing.
If Sparky tried this "correctly" I have a hard time thinking it's a fuse or a safety switch.

Sparky123 said:
I did check with a volt meter for current drop,it drops when i switch on the glow plugs,and drops more when i turn it to the start poss.
And this tends to make me think there is a possible connection problem somewhere in a main battery lead.