loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016

/ loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016 #21  
Mine..... So far. I don't abuse it, but I use it as a tool, not a toy that I have to ***** foot around in and wonder if something is going to break the first time I pick up something over 20lbs or if one wheel suddenly gets traction. Honestly, if my salesman had told me that I woulda turned and walked away.

A couple of things here, The sales man that said to be careful was a Kubota salesman and it was with a smaller tractor. As far as the OP's Mahindra 3215 breaking, stuff happens to ALL makes and models. I have the a 3215 tractor as one of my tractors. It is ballasted to 5,000lbs which is what the owners manual says is the max weight to run. I work the tractor to it's limits at times, I always work it in 4x mode. (can't understand how anyone can get anything done in 2WD) No problems as yet. Now working the tractor to it's limits does not mean that I abuse it, just work it to the point that it can do no more. ;)

/ loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016 #22  
A couple of things here, The sales man that said to be careful was a Kubota salesman and it was with a smaller tractor. As far as the OP's Mahindra 3215 breaking, stuff happens to ALL makes and models. I have the a 3215 tractor as one of my tractors. It is ballasted to 5,000lbs which is what the owners manual says is the max weight to run. I work the tractor to it's limits at times, I always work it in 4x mode. (can't understand how anyone can get anything done in 2WD) No problems as yet. Now working the tractor to it's limits does not mean that I abuse it, just work it to the point that it can do no more. ;)

I agree with you in that aspect. I will not "baby" 20+ thousand dollars of machine doing what I feel it should have been designed to do in the first place. To me it's like buying a 50 ton wood splitter to split spruce kindling, because it "may" break.

/ loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016 #23  
I agree with you in that aspect. I will not "baby" 20+ thousand dollars of machine doing what I feel it should have been designed to do in the first place. To me it's like buying a 50 ton wood splitter to split spruce kindling, because it "may" break.

Properly designed with a good operator, a tractor should stall or spin or bypass the hydraulics before it breaks. That being said, there area few things that people do for which a tractor can't protect itself. Experienced operators know when we have crossed this line and we do so with hesitation and caution.

An example would be having a long set of forks on a loader and trying to pull out roots or stumps. If the tractor is stationary and you are just pulling on the joystick, the worst you will do is bend a fork, and probably not even that if your hydraulic bypass is set correctly. But what if you put the fork down in a hole to try to get a root and hook it up under a root and then let go of the joystick (eliminating any chance of protection with the hydraulic bypass valve) and drive forward quickly? Well if you have a well ballasted tractor, you will for sure break something at that point. Either the root breaks or the tractor does. There are many examples like this where a tractor can destroy itself, but a guy/gal should know not to do things like this...or if he does, he needs to know it is his dime.

/ loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016 #24  
Properly designed with a good operator, a tractor should stall or spin or bypass the hydraulics before it breaks. That being said, there area few things that people do for which a tractor can't protect itself. Experienced operators know when we have crossed this line and we do so with hesitation and caution.

An example would be having a long set of forks on a loader and trying to pull out roots or stumps. If the tractor is stationary and you are just pulling on the joystick, the worst you will do is bend a fork, and probably not even that if your hydraulic bypass is set correctly. But what if you put the fork down in a hole to try to get a root and hook it up under a root and then let go of the joystick (eliminating any chance of protection with the hydraulic bypass valve) and drive forward quickly? Well if you have a well ballasted tractor, you will for sure break something at that point. Either the root breaks or the tractor does. There are many examples like this where a tractor can destroy itself, but a guy/gal should know not to do things like this...or if he does, he needs to know it is his dime.

Yep, or just doing STUPID stuff like driving forward shaking dirt off of the forks and then sticking them in the dirt while still moving forward. Pops the nuts off the ends of the curl rams REAL QUICK. :ashamed: That was a $350 oops.

/ loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016 #25  

Funny thing is, I have brought this point up a few times here and you are the first to agree. :D It's hard to explain the difference!

E

Oh, and as for snagging forks, you oughta see what a Hyster 100 at full steam will do when you snag the forks in an asphalt yard..... Umm.... Oops. :)

/ loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016 #26  
Dropped the tractor off Wednesday evening. With the front diff disengaged the front end still had a loud clatter when I cut the wheels to load it on the trailer.

I did learn something I hadn't thought of in a while.. just because you've got a hitch and 7-way plug.. don't count on there being trailer brakes. I was in my wife's Expedition and it had never towed before. I slid a hitch in the receiver then backed up to the trailer. Plugged everything in and "went to town."

Got to the end of the driveway and went to slow down so I could look for traffic.. the trailer and tractor were still heading toward the road. The Exped's front end was stopping at the mailbox. I went ahead and finished the trip in her car vs going back to the house and getting my truck because I figured I'd just drive it slow and count on no braking in the back. I'll go fetch it with the truck when I get the call that it's ready to go again.

-Luke

Luke,

If you don't have a brake controler installed that is the problem. If you do have the controler the next thing to check is the relay in the fuze panel. I just purchased an F150 with the tow package and controller and the brakes did not work, after reading the manual they mentioned installing the controler relay. Come to find out the relay was in the glove box still in the plastic bag, the brake controler installer forgot to install the relay. The OM is pretty cryptic on the subject but if you look at the fuze panel diagram you will see which slot is supposed to have the relay.

/ loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016 #27  
Funny thing is, I have brought this point up a few times here and you are the first to agree. :D It's hard to explain the difference!

E

Oh, and as for snagging forks, you oughta see what a Hyster 100 at full steam will do when you snag the forks in an asphalt yard..... Umm.... Oops. :)

I want the video of the Hyster injcident.... :thumbsup:

/ loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016
ya.. wife's exped has no brake controller. my oversight. my f250 has one of course.

i called the dealer late saturday and they had no status on the tractor yet. the shop owner was still deciding how to approach the repair. i'm in no hurry for it yet.

-Luke

/ loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016 #29  
I want the video of the Hyster injcident.... :thumbsup:

Started running lifts at 17 while at a local Agway. Incidents and accidents occured. Some costly, some almost humerous after 25 years. The Hyster thing, yeah, also discovered why, despite it all having the same gravel, the back of the yard never had lumber stacked in it. Hyster 100's do NOT float on top of leach fields. Hyster 60's with 2 lifts of osb also make a heck of a mess when you have two lifts of OSB on them, which is the "balance" point when it comes to load capacity, and you don't time the throttle right while descending of a culvert frost heave and onto the raised concrete pad at the back of the storage building. Can you say "Very large deck of cards"?

/ loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016
I'm still waiting to hear the status and the repair price. The shop that it's at isn't too busy so the tractor is still in a service bay and I can see it in there when I drive by.

Last week they were waiting for some parts. Muffler bearings or something having to be special ordered.

-Luke