loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016

/ loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016 #1  

jlukem

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Well.. I think I busted something good this time.

I was just starting to backup up with a load of sand in the front bucket and the front end let loose with a heck of a clatter. Sounded like gear splines busting away as I could see nothing loose and it was loud.

I was in 4wd and 2nd/Lo and just hit the pile, filled the bucket and was backing away.

Any chance this will be a warranty repair?

I didn't have a chance to take it to the dealer yet but I will drop it off on Friday. I'll pull the loader off so it's easier for them to inspect.

Tractor is a 3016 with 30 hrs on it.

-Luke

/ loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016 #2  
Are you using any ballast weight in the rear. If you use the tractor a lot for front loader work you should be using ballast weight in the rear. When you have a load in the loader bucket, it takes the weight off of the main drive wheels and the small gears in the front end up taking all of the stress. I will bet that Mahindra will cover the repairs under the warranty, but the rear ballast weight is important.

/ loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016 #3  
I have a 4110, First time I had this issue I had stripped the splines on the front drive shaft. Second time dummy me loaned tractor to a friend and he stripped the ring and pinion out of the front end. I have since learned to use 4WD only when necessary when heavy loads are in bucket. Both issues were due to being over loaded while in 4WD in my opinion. I do tend to work machines hard at times.

/ loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016 #4  
Hmmmm, I have recently purchased a 3016 and it has 24.6 hrs on it. I hope this is not a problem with these machines..............

/ loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016 #5  
Lawalls, do you recommend loading the rear tires in a 3215HST? i have heard both ways about loading tires on a HST..

thanks in advance.
Rob

OP, i have done the same thing with mine and it was a warranty repair..

/ loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016 #6  
Just wanted to clarify that both times I had problem with my Mahindra front end, I am certain it was heavily over loaded and my fault. Not the tractors fault.

/ loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016 #7  
Well.. I think I busted something good this time.

I was just starting to backup up with a load of sand in the front bucket and the front end let loose with a heck of a clatter. Sounded like gear splines busting away as I could see nothing loose and it was loud.

I was in 4wd and 2nd/Lo and just hit the pile, filled the bucket and was backing away.

Any chance this will be a warranty repair?

I didn't have a chance to take it to the dealer yet but I will drop it off on Friday. I'll pull the loader off so it's easier for them to inspect.

Tractor is a 3016 with 30 hrs on it.

-Luke

If your front wheels were unable to spin when you shoved the bucket into the sand pile and pushed hard to load the bucket with a big scoop, then that's when the damage was done. That's why you shouldn't operate in 4WD when scooping stuff with the FEL while the wheels are on a concrete surface or any surface that prevents the front wheels from spinning because of too much traction on the front wheels. The front wheels have to be able to break traction when the forward motion stops in filling the bucket. That's the first thing the sales guy told me when I was testing my first tractor with an FEL--a new 2005 Kubota B7510HST that had 4WD.

/ loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016 #8  
Lawalls, do you recommend loading the rear tires in a 3215HST? i have heard both ways about loading tires on a HST..

thanks in advance.
Rob

OP, i have done the same thing with mine and it was a warranty repair..

Rob,
If you are using the tractor a lot, doing front loader work, I would recomend loading the rear tires, or putting a decent amount of ballast weight on the 3 PH.

/ loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016 #9  
I had all 4 tires loaded on my 3215HST. I think it makes the whole tractor feel more stable when using the FEL as well as on inclines not to mention ground engaging work.

/ loud clacking in the front end... shuttle 3016 #10  
I too have all 4 tires filled with the 7520 4x4 and the 3215HST. I was disappointed with how the 3215 worked even with a heavy 3pt attachment on the rear. :( Loaded the tires and the tractor handles better and is FAR more capable than without loaded tires. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I can not imagine working one of these smaller tractors without loaded tires. :eek: :rolleyes: ;)