2816 Repair and Restoration Project

/ 2816 Repair and Restoration Project
That was my first thought as well Dave.

But it turns out that my coworker lives down the road from the Police cheif in his little town and got a hot tip that there was a small tractor going up for the po-po auction. So his son snatched it up cheap himself. I couldn't get a straight answer as to whether his son burned the clutch up himself (probably, he's not the sharpest guy I know) or it was burnt up before. Odds are the kid did it, I don't think he knows the difference between a bucket and a backhoe.

His dad has since gotten a nice 35 HP JD used and I don't believe Jr. is allowed to touch it.

They gave me the reciept thing, kind of like a bill of sale where they bought it from the city. Now this basically gaurantees it was stolen previously, and either unclaimed or abandoned somewhere.

I hate that somebody probably did have their machine stolen, but in the end it was going to have a home somewhere and it might as well be mine if I could purchase it legally.

/ 2816 Repair and Restoration Project #12  
Sounds like it is legally yours then, even if an "owner" does show up since it was sold through a governmental agency. Good news, I was worried for you for a bit.

Always good to CYA if there's just a suspicion that things aren't kosher! I made sure of that from the get-go.

/ 2816 Repair and Restoration Project #14  
I would like to give you a little advise on your tractor.
First off...Please don't put a 3 point backhoe on this machine. (very dangerous) That and the fact the tractor may get torn up.
Second..Keep checking the loader mount bolts to make sure they do not loosen up.
Now for some history that will help your search when looking for a backhoe.
This tractor was also available in a Cub Cadet and a Case
You can use a Woods 6500,7500,70X,80X all have subframes available.
You can also use a Rhino backhoe 6-1/2 or 7-1/2. Keep in mind Rhino built the backhoes for New Holland, Kioti and are currently building them for Bobcat.
So that give you a big array of choices when looking for a used backhoe.
Ohh ya almost forgot, you can put Kiotis newer backhoe on a Rhino subframe.
If you ever think of a new one a good price to keep in mind is $1,000 per foot.

Now I'm gonna bust on you a little bit....Did I see your little man with a John Deere hat on??? We will have non of that around here!! PM me your Address so I can send that little guy of your a Christmas present!

On a closing note.
Your are an inspire to all of us out here! Keep your head up and keep moving forward.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice sir!

I had my doubts about 3pt backhoes as well, and would much rather have a super tiny excavator, like kubota's 8 or 9 hp model or one of those little foreign 15-20hp units. I think it would be more convenient to have two machines and be able to operate both at the same time if needed with my brother or dad.

I also do have a cub cadet tractor and kioti dealers a few miles from the house to browse around. I do have a hard time buying new items though, since I prefer to save money and fix beat down things (saves me money for more toys!). But if I was in dire need of a machine I would defenitely pay for it and support the local dealers.

As for the JD hat, my old man has green blood haha. I do like their older lawnmowers though, i've had them upto 28 years old, all kawi motors and never really had any trouble other than regular maintenance, fuel lines, paint jobs, etc....If mahindra made a small diesel mower I would be all over it like a fly on.....yeah

I did find an oliver hat for my grandpa for part of his christmas, he regrets selling that old super 55 all the time.

I'm a big fan of everyone enjoying their families rather than spending a minute admiring me. You would do the same thing I have, be a man and take care of your kids, I have no doubt.

Thanks!

I just scored a molded plastic golf cart roof for free. It's about 4'x3' and double wall.

Should make a nice canopy for the tractor, even has 2 grab handles built in.

/ 2816 Repair and Restoration Project #17  
Great story man. I have a 2615 (basically the same tractor I think) I bought mine for a deal off a guy that needed the money & was moving. Good luck with your son & take lots of pictures. I took a ton of pictures & now I'm glad I did. :thumbsup:

I had some time today to build a frame for the golf cart top, and i'm happy with how it turned out, I will probably take some time this spring and turn it into a cab.

212.jpg

And here's a pic of the clutch disc and first pressureplate. You can see the grooves from the rivets digging into it.

21.jpg