3316HST Diff Lock Problems

/ 3316HST Diff Lock Problems #1  

OkieDave

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3316HST
I've had my 3316HST since May, and I've clocked almost forty hours. A few hours ago, I noticed something had changed about my diff lock: when I step on the pedal, it'll engage, but as soon as I start moving, the pedal will rise of its own accord, pushing my foot up. When it hits the top, it'll drop part-way and start again, as if it's being forced out of the gear, then falling after it passes the top of the tooth. Interestingly, it works fine in reverse, or in 4WD forward; it only misbehaves when driving forward in 2WD. Any thoughts? Has anybody seen anything like this before?

/ 3316HST Diff Lock Problems #2  
I would guess it is misadjusted and not fully enguaging, as to why it only happens in 2WD forward, I don't know the answer to that

/ 3316HST Diff Lock Problems #3  
To check to make sure it is engaging all the way as per Galen is a good call. Have your dealer check it for you if it is convenient for you to take it in. If you engage the diff lock while the wheels are spinning with any speed at all, it can round the edge of the engagement cog. Then instead of a nice sharp cog, you get a ramp sort of deal and it will push up. You are supposed to let the wheels come to a stop before stepping on the diff lock pedal. Generally 4wd is used when you need more traction then 2wd offers, then diff lock when 4wd doesn't cut it. Are you using the diff lock frequently in 2wd?

/ 3316HST Diff Lock Problems
Fairly frequently. I have very sandy--almost powdery--soil, and it's well-rutted, so I often find myself with one wheel having insufficient traction; when that happens, I let the tires stop, step on the diff lock, and drive out. I guess I ought to be just staying in 4WD, then.

/ 3316HST Diff Lock Problems #5  
Fairly frequently. I have very sandy--almost powdery--soil, and it's well-rutted, so I often find myself with one wheel having insufficient traction; when that happens, I let the tires stop, step on the diff lock, and drive out. I guess I ought to be just staying in 4WD, then.

WIth sandy soil, I'd never ever take it out of 4wd. I suspect you have rounded off the cogs. The part is cheap, takes a couple hours to replace. I'd ask your dealer to cover it under warranty, especially if it is not engaging all the way due to the linkage. Once fixed, only use it when you get stuck in 4x4, and be extra careful to make sure the wheels aren't spinning when you engage it. It will last forever under those conditions. The deal is that one side of the diff lock cog is actually part of the diff, and it is made of real hard steel. The replaceable part is made of softer steel, it becomes the sacraficial part in case of abuse. It's actually a good concept, but it is easily damaged if it is partially engaged with the wheels spinning.

/ 3316HST Diff Lock Problems #6  
on 4wd tractors usually the front axle will out pace the rear by the smallest amount. offroad this isnt a problem as the wheels can slip. most advise against the use of 4wd on hard surfaces (like a paved road).

so feel confidant running in 4wd most if not all the time.