Backhoe slow bucket response

/ slow bucket response #1  

magyarbacsi

Silver Member
I just recently did my 50 hr service on 5525 with Bradco BH. I purchased Napa UT oil to replace factory. I noticed that the Napa UT seemed little thicker than the factory fluid. Is the factory use thinner as a break in oil and Napa UT is ok? Sometime later, while using the BH in 70-75 degree weather the bucket opened very slow. Everything else, boom extent/close, swing and bucket closing was normal. It just took longer for the bucket to open, but would scoop normally and closed fine. I used all Mahindra filters. The only thing I did not get to is a strainer at the bottom of the tranny. It looked as if I had to remove some of the machinery to get to the strainer so I did not open that up. You'd think even just gravity would allow the 16" bucket jaw to just drop freely, but it acted like something,i.e. back pressure, was holding it back. No noise, squelling or such and it worked faster at times, but for most part, while digging out a small stump, it was slow. I did not change any of the control valves, the ones that govern swing and such.

/ slow bucket response #2  
I just recently did my 50 hr service on 5525 with Bradco BH. I purchased Napa UT oil to replace factory. I noticed that the Napa UT seemed little thicker than the factory fluid. Is the factory use thinner as a break in oil and Napa UT is ok? Sometime later, while using the BH in 70-75 degree weather the bucket opened very slow. Everything else, boom extent/close, swing and bucket closing was normal. It just took longer for the bucket to open, but would scoop normally and closed fine. I used all Mahindra filters. The only thing I did not get to is a strainer at the bottom of the tranny. It looked as if I had to remove some of the machinery to get to the strainer so I did not open that up. You'd think even just gravity would allow the 16" bucket jaw to just drop freely, but it acted like something,i.e. back pressure, was holding it back. No noise, squelling or such and it worked faster at times, but for most part, while digging out a small stump, it was slow. I did not change any of the control valves, the ones that govern swing and such.
Magyarbacsi,
When you say you changed the oil, do you mean engine oil? Anyway, I don't think Napa UT is on the Mahindra recommended fluid lists and could void your warranty. I would think a thicker hydraulic fluid (oil) could cause slower responses. I use Shell Rotella T in the engine and Shell Donax in the transmission and hydraulics.

If your BH is powered through the remote, remove the line quick disconnects and reinstall them. I have had slow movement before when a disconnect "pops" off enough to cause slowness, but not far enough to pop completely off the remote fitting.
hugs, Brandi

/ slow bucket response
Hi Brandi, yes I did change the engine oil too, but my concern was about the change of tranny oil. The booklet had recommendations re tractor fluids, but did not prohibit Napa UT, but I will read it again to make sure.I only have <2 hrs on the Napa UT. Besides, I had the tractor past the warranty years, its just not being used often enough hence the low hours. I have an older Messey 165 that is used regularly for field work. The Mahindra is used for excavating, stump removal and such which I dont need to do too ften, or choose not to. This is at our 9 acer vacation/2nd home and land that some day will be our primary when I retire. (I'm constantly reminded to keep working, millions on welfare depend on us).

I dont have the quick disconnects. As I menioned, the UT fluid that came in the tractor,the factory, was thinner than the Napa and all the other implements that are run off the same pump and fluid, i.e. bucket, BH boom work as before. Just the lower clamp of the bucket when I open it up is S-L-O-W, but clamps shut normal. I was wondering if the factory fluids is thinner as used for break-in and then swithc to a heavier grade or is the one I putin too heavy, but then would that not be simptomatic throughout the entire hydraulic system?

/ slow bucket response #4  
If it was the fluid I would expect it to effect the whole system.

perhaps the spool that controls the effected cylinder or the cylinder is leaking internally? ie. allowing fluid to bypass an internal seal resulting is lower flow/pressure?

my $.02

/ slow bucket response #5  
I'm thinking it is the fluid. Is the fluid you installed, in the book as a recommended fluid? There are reasons (only Mahindra can answer) why Mahindra recommends some fluids over others. I'm thinking the cylinder that is slow has a smaller port and the thicker fluid is not moving through as fast as it did before the fluid change. Other than that, you could have got some debris blocking the port to that slow cylinder.
hugs, Brandi

/ slow bucket response #6  
i just recently purchase a Mahindra 509 made by bradco for my 8560 my bucket does the same thing really slow opening but everything else works great I bet we have the same problem

/ slow bucket response #7  
My 3016's bucket response is a turtle right from the factory.

/ slow bucket response #8  
Texan4life,
Try bleeding the BH curl and dump lines. Might be air.

Valleyfox170,
You may think your Bradco 509 BH was made for your 8560,but that is not the case. The 509 and 511(same parts but longer stick) BH's have been around for at least 7 years, when I bought my 6520. The 6520 is the smaller, older brother to your 8560.
hugs, brandi

/ slow bucket response #9  
I use Tractor Supply "Premium" fluid in my 4025. The Tractor supply fluid has a long list of approved uses in a multitude of equiptment listed on the container. If I am correct it is a 20 weight oil. Bindian is right about the fluid. Napa UT is not on my list in the manual either. The Shell Donax is what you need, a little more expensive but you wont be changing it again until 1000 hours if memory serves me correct. Good luck.

/ slow bucket response #10  
If it is not on the reccomended list don't use it.