Glow plug and stalling issues

/ Glow plug and stalling issues #1  

Dbellrn

Tractor
Mahindra 2015HST
I have a 2015HST that's about 4 years old. It's really hard to start unless I (gasp!) ether it. I tried activating the glow plugs multiple times but it doesn't make any difference. The only time it will start is if it's warm or it's really hot outside. Bad glow plugs?

The second problem has just come about recently. When climbing a hill, it tends to stall. It's under load and I'm thinking fuel problem. Possibly the fuel itself or the filter. I replaced the air filer already.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

/ Glow plug and stalling issues #2  
About climbing a hill and wants to stall under load. If you live in a cold climate area the diesel may tend to gel up in the fuel filter. Look at your filter if it is a see through type. You should clearly be able to see the filter. If fuel is gelling the filter will look cloudy or even have a waxy buildup. Buy some additive to add to your fuel to prevent it. Most truck stops and even Walmart sell diesel fuel additive.

If you haven't changed your fuel filter, maybe now is a good time.
Another old trick is to mix diesel with kerosene to thin it out. It won't hurt the motor.

Hard to start is a different problem. If not a fuel problem its time to check the glow plugs. First check the power wire supplying the plugs when the timer is on. It should have battery voltage during the glow plug light on cycle. If you have no power or low voltage one or more plugs may be shorted to ground. Disconnect the wire from the glow plug and test again. If you now have power you need to check each plug with an ohm meter. To do so you'll need to remove the common strip of metal that connects all the plugs together to test each plug individually. Each should have a resistance reading. They should not show an open or a dead short which indicates it is bad.

/ Glow plug and stalling issues
Thanks George! I live in Ohio and its been near freezing lately. I'll try the additive and the new filter. I'll have a look at the glow plugs too as you suggested. Thank you!