5525 hydraulic strainer removal

/ 5525 hydraulic strainer removal #1  

magyarbacsi

Silver Member
I recently did my 50 hr tranny/hydraulic fluid change on my 5525 that is 2yrs old, used NAPA premium tractor fluid that my dealer recommended. I changed the filter, but did not remove the strainer that is in the bottom of the tranny becuse it looked like I would have to remove some lincs and becuse of a custom frame for the Bradco backhoe, some of the frame members. Has anyonr removed this screen and cleaned it and if so, what problems if any did you encounter. Are there seals or such that I need on the housing that will need to be replaced?

The fluid that I drained actually looked clean and I did not find any meta shavings or scum, so can I expect that the screen is ok? The tractor/hydraulics work ok, except the bh bucket is slow to open. It clamps fast and holds and every other function is good.

/ 5525 hydraulic strainer removal #2  
I had the same issue with my 4025 (same screen in the same place). I called the dealer while the oil was draining and they said not to worry about it until the 1000 hour change. My fluid was clean and no metal in it. I replaced it with "Tractor Supply Premium Universal" Transmission, Diff., Hyd. fluid. All the hydraulics worked as new after the change. There was a little chatter in the loader as some of the air had to circulate through and bleed out, about three lifts to full travel and moving the bucket full travel about the same. I cant fugure why your bucket is slow in one direction and not the other. Maybe someone else can explain it, high voltage electricity is my game of choice. I still wonder about the screen and whether it should be cleaned. The owners manual says to clean it at 50 hours and to have the dealer do it. I guess I will trust the dealer and leave it until 1000 hours.

/ 5525 hydraulic strainer removal #3  
I think cleaning the screen the first time is the most important, because it catches big things like metal shavings from machining the casting and chunks of silicone sealant. Once these have been filtered out and the filter screen cleaned, it will stay fairly clean and not impede the filter flow. I have seen this screen clogged enough that it will slow GPM flow and slow down your hydraulic system.

/ 5525 hydraulic strainer removal #4  
I recently did my 50 hr tranny/hydraulic fluid change on my 5525 that is 2yrs old, used NAPA premium tractor fluid that my dealer recommended. I changed the filter, but did not remove the strainer that is in the bottom of the tranny becuse it looked like I would have to remove some lincs and becuse of a custom frame for the Bradco backhoe, some of the frame members. Has anyonr removed this screen and cleaned it and if so, what problems if any did you encounter. Are there seals or such that I need on the housing that will need to be replaced?

The fluid that I drained actually looked clean and I did not find any meta shavings or scum, so can I expect that the screen is ok? The tractor/hydraulics work ok, except the bh bucket is slow to open. It clamps fast and holds and every other function is good.

Had the same problem with 50 hr servicing on my 5525. Rather than screw something up, I had the dealer do it. And I really dislike lying on my back under that tractor.

That screen is there principally to catch debris floating around in the hydraulic/tranny systems produced during manufacture. It's important to clean that filter screen at 50 hrs. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck

/ 5525 hydraulic strainer removal
I'm not afraid to tackle the job as I have taken on more complex work, i.e. rebuilding motors of various types and sizes for cars and boats. I was just wondering if it was that important after 50 hrs. and the general opinion is that it is, so I will get to it before the summer use. As you can see, in two years I've only put 50 hrs on it. I have a '74 Massey 165 that is my work horse for most part.

Glenn, what does it take to remove the screen and are there seals/o rings that are used on the unit. I like to have my needed parts at hand so I can remove, clean and re instal in the same operation. The manual does not address the removal/installation procedure. Is there a exploded view of the screen on line some where or would you be willing to email me one at: fosmadar@excite.com

Thank you for all the replies.

/ 5525 hydraulic strainer removal #6  
I'm not afraid to tackle the job as I have taken on more complex work, i.e. rebuilding motors of various types and sizes for cars and boats. I was just wondering if it was that important after 50 hrs. and the general opinion is that it is, so I will get to it before the summer use. As you can see, in two years I've only put 50 hrs on it. I have a '74 Massey 165 that is my work horse for most part.

Glenn, what does it take to remove the screen and are there seals/o rings that are used on the unit. I like to have my needed parts at hand so I can remove, clean and re instal in the same operation. The manual does not address the removal/installation procedure. Is there a exploded view of the screen on line some where or would you be willing to email me one at: fosmadar@excite.com

Thank you for all the replies.

I sent you a parts breakdown of it and a bit of information.

/ 5525 hydraulic strainer removal #7  
Hi,

my name is Jake and am looking into a 2007 5525, I have a 5225 that has been great. what do you think of the 5525?

Thanks

/ 5525 hydraulic strainer removal #8  
If that screen is in series with the real filter there is really no point to it. I took the screen out of my 7520 at the first service. It just impedes the suction line to the pump needlessly.
larry

/ 5525 hydraulic strainer removal #9  
My dealer's service manager told me he has seen those strainer filters collapsed from all the crud. I took my left side plate off and checked my 6520, which was clean, so I never removed it. With the left side plate off (4 bolts and all the fluid) you can see the strainer filter with a mirror.
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:
   / 5525 hydraulic strainer removal #10  
Still not clear as how to remove screen. Do you just give a pull where the strainer fits into the housing? and should I have to replace the O ring?