Changing Fuel Filters.....

/ Changing Fuel Filters..... #1  

BobG_in_VA

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6000 MWFD, 2 1950's Farmalls, 1974 Farmall 140, 1967 Mf 135Delux
Its time to change the fuel filters on my 6000...yesterday, it all of a sudden lost power and acted like it was trying to run on 1 cyl....yanked it back to the barn (with a New Holland)..I've got the filters, anyone got any "secrets" to share as the manual tell how to do it but I've found that you folks are really the x-perts..Also, how much "strenght" does it take to undo the pump/plunger to purge air from the system..I unscrewed it yesterday, but it didn't seem to want to "release" so one couple pump it...BobG in VA

/ Changing Fuel Filters..... #2  
Shut off the fuel if you have a shut off, remove the old filters, fill new filters with clean fuel, wet the seals with fuel, and put them on. Open fuel shut off and there you go. It's simpler than changing the oil.

/ Changing Fuel Filters..... #3  
Shut off the fuel if you have a shut off, remove the old filters, fill new filters with clean fuel, wet the seals with fuel, and put them on. Open fuel shut off and there you go. It's simpler than changing the oil.

This is always the most of it, but I then loosen the line where it goes into the injection pump and pump the pump intill I get fuel out of the line, then tighten the line and start it. If you get lucky it may work without pumping it, but if it doesn't then you will have to bleed the lines to the injectors.

/ Changing Fuel Filters..... #4  
Worked that way last year with my 4110, got lucky hope it works for you

Last edited:
   / Changing Fuel Filters..... #5  
I change my filter in the fall, someone on tractorbynet told me to fill up the bowl with fuel, then tighten. Turn fuel on an tractor started rightup, didn't have to bleed anything. Well it work for me anyway.:)

/ Changing Fuel Filters..... #6  
Bobs 6000 has a different fuel delivery system than the 4110 and the Massey 1423.

/ Changing Fuel Filters.....
When I was 18, I worked in a rock quarry that supplied stone to the Interstates being built..one of the Euclid operators got sick and went home...the boss told me to get off the loader (had 7ft tires and a 3 yard bucket) and finish the day moving rock in the Euc...after about 1 1/2 hours it started spitting and sputtering and then died...the mechanic laughed and told me how to bleed that Detroit 6-71...well 3 HOURS LATER, I finally got it going...to say the least, I jacked up that "sick" jerk when he came back to work...that's why I'm asking...thanks for all the replies!!! Again..what does one do to get that pump to "pop" out once you unscrew it.???Anyone have an idea? BobG in VA

/ Changing Fuel Filters..... #8  
I don't specifically know about your tractor, but I have primed a few different types before. never had to crack any lines or prefill any filters. and they start up easy.

The pump types usually you just pull it out and then push it back in once you unlock it from its "stored" position. Some have springs that pop it back up while others don't. Then pump like mad. At least 30-50 pumps. sometime more, you can tell when it starts to get fuel because it getter a little harder to pump. once there give it another 25 pumps. You can't over pump, you are just circulating fuel from the tank through the filters and pump back to the tank. any air is pushed back into the tank. Never had to crack a fuel line, which I prefer not to disturb the fittings which I think helps prevent leaks.

If you can post a pic that would be helpful.

my .02

/ Changing Fuel Filters..... #9  
When I was 18, I worked in a rock quarry that supplied stone to the Interstates being built..one of the Euclid operators got sick and went home...the boss told me to get off the loader (had 7ft tires and a 3 yard bucket) and finish the day moving rock in the Euc...after about 1 1/2 hours it started spitting and sputtering and then died...the mechanic laughed and told me how to bleed that Detroit 6-71...well 3 HOURS LATER, I finally got it going...to say the least, I jacked up that "sick" jerk when he came back to work...that's why I'm asking...thanks for all the replies!!! Again..what does one do to get that pump to "pop" out once you unscrew it.???Anyone have an idea? BobG in VA

I know sometimes the pump pulls up hard, but all of the ones I have worked on have pulled up with enough force.

/ Changing Fuel Filters.....
I know sometimes the pump pulls up hard, but all of the ones I have worked on have pulled up with enough force.

You're right...I must not have "unscrewed" it far enough....got it out and changed the filter...here's the kicker...it still acted like it was starving for fuel...I did everything I could think of for about 2 1/2 days..finally took off the fuel line from the tank to the point just before the water separator...cut the fuel back on when it was off (the banjo bolt)...didn't seem to have enough flow..hooked up the the air compressor with a blower head...held the banjo, covered as much as I could with rubber gloves on and hit the lever on the blower to back blow any crud back to the fuel tank..fuel sprayed back on me and all of a sudden I had a great deal of flow...there was a small clog at the entrance to the banjo bolt head...I quickly cut off the fuel put everything back together, turned on the fuel, bled the system, fired it up ....all is now well. So endeth the saga...thanks for all the inputs!! BobG in VA