3215 HST - Lost Hydraulic Pressure in Loader & Backhoe

/ 3215 HST - Lost Hydraulic Pressure in Loader & Backhoe #1  

Farmerboy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 85 / Ventrac 4500P
3215 HST : 564 hours

Within 30 seconds of using the backhoe this morning, I lost all hydraulic pressure in both the loader and the backhoe. Still have hydraulics for the transmission.

Hydraulic fluid and filters were changed about a year ago.

Thoughts on potential issues?

/ 3215 HST - Lost Hydraulic Pressure in Loader & Backhoe #2  
It sounds to me that one of the hose quick connects came unplugged.

/ 3215 HST - Lost Hydraulic Pressure in Loader & Backhoe #3  
Not sure what brand of tractor you have, Mahindra maybe. No matter what breed, the HST pump is probably internal, so trans operation is not affected by the external hydraulic system. Find the pressure hose from Hyd.pump into the loader valve in port. Crack and loosen it a 1/4 turn or so,and start the engine for a few seconds. See if you get a spurt of oil at that point, and is there any evidence of air? If there is oil flowing, then you may have weak pump flow or pressure under load, or maybe the relief in the loader valve could be defective and not allowing enough pressure for anything to function. If there's no oil flow to the valve, try letting the engine idle a bit, the pump may have just lost its prime, and venting it with the hose loose may get it going again,just be ready to shut it off quickly, as you will have a mess in a hurry once the pump gets going.

/ 3215 HST - Lost Hydraulic Pressure in Loader & Backhoe
Mahindra 3215 HST

/ 3215 HST - Lost Hydraulic Pressure in Loader & Backhoe #5  
Is the hydraulic pump still turning?:thumbsup:

All quicklocks were uncoupled and recoupled - still no power to the backhoe or the loader.

Disconnected the backhoe and only left the loader connected - still no power.

Hydrostatic transmission works fine - so at least the pump is working.

/ 3215 HST - Lost Hydraulic Pressure in Loader & Backhoe #7  
Install a 3000 psi hyd gage in the IN port of the FEL valve and operate the FEL levers to max out the cyl. If you show the relief pressure you can assume that the implement pump is working.

Is the pump even turning?

Do you have PS?

/ 3215 HST - Lost Hydraulic Pressure in Loader & Backhoe #8  
All quicklocks were uncoupled and recoupled - still no power to the backhoe or the loader.

Disconnected the backhoe and only left the loader connected - still no power.

Hydrostatic transmission works fine - so at least the pump is working.

The HST pump is not the same pump that supplies the attachments.
Do you still have powersteering? If you do, I would guess there is oil supply to the pump and if you are not getting any pressure to the loader valve, there is a problem with the implement pump.

I had it in my mind that there was a common pump - not the case. Common reservoir - yes, but not a common pump. Long story short, it appears the implement pump has gone bad.

Cracked open one of the fittings on the hydraulic manifold, started the tractor, and nothing.....was hoping for oil spraying everywhere.

All that said, spent the rest of the day going to the dealer and then using a set of comealongs to get the backhoe and outriggers retracted. I'll wait to retract the loader until the dealer shows up to haul it away.

According to the dealer, he's never replaced this pump on a Mahindra (has done a few Kubotas though). So....if you own a 3215, I'm guessing that there is a pretty low probability that you'll have this problem. If you do....talk about dead in the water! New pump will run $400.