Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3215

Default Re: Performance Loss to engine shut down

To all, thank you again for all of your input. I am going to give the tractor another run this weekend when I get a chance (active duty Marine Corps + Farrier + horse boarding + new born baby = not a lot of time left during the week). I think the route I'm going to take at this point is: change the engine oil/filter, replace the Hyd filter (big one under the left floorboard as I sit on the tractor), replace the fuel filter (in a clear filter housing about midway up the right side of the engine as I sit on the tractor?), and replace the outer air filter...and see where that gets me. At least it will give me more of a base line and rule out the simple things. I haven't checked for an EGR yet but if it's got one, it makes sense to replace that too. Does anyone know where I can get the most "cost effective" filters for these tasks?

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2810, IH Hydro 70, 706

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcla View Post
    To all, thank you again for all of your input. I am going to give the tractor another run this weekend when I get a chance (active duty Marine Corps + Farrier + horse boarding + new born baby = not a lot of time left during the week). I think the route I'm going to take at this point is: change the engine oil/filter, replace the Hyd filter (big one under the left floorboard as I sit on the tractor), replace the fuel filter (in a clear filter housing about midway up the right side of the engine as I sit on the tractor?), and replace the outer air filter...and see where that gets me. At least it will give me more of a base line and rule out the simple things. I haven't checked for an EGR yet but if it's got one, it makes sense to replace that too. Does anyone know where I can get the most "cost effective" filters for these tasks?
    Sounds like a good place to start. Aftermarket filter availability is hit and miss. your best bet will be your dealer or online.

Tractor
    Mahindra 3215

Good deal, I appreciate it!!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2810, IH Hydro 70, 706

no prob... if you go by your dealer tell them whats going on the my be able to give you some advise. and/or ask if their mechanic is in and chat with him.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcla View Post
    The filter for the HST transmission i had to get from mahindra dealer.

Fuel Filter Wix # 33262 (little shorter but fits fine)
    Oil Filter Wix # 51348
    Hydrolic Filter Wix # 51663

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3550, Kubota L235, Teryx LE, F350 dumper

Thanks for serving, and congrats on your new baby. Jim

Tractor
    Mahindra 3215

Thank you all for your input and time. I've finally gotten around to changing filters. I've replaced the Hydraulic, fuel, and air (both) filters....still losing power and chugging out after about 5 minutes of operating. I did notice about an inch worth of light greyish gasket type material, come out when I pulled off my hydraulic filter. Of course it got sucked down then drain hole of my used oil container before I could examine it closer but I'm going to go after it to see if I can identify what it is and lose my wedding ring during the process. I am not sure where to go from here. My thoughts are that if it was an injection pump issue, it would happen at start-up or, make the tractor hard to start (that's what it did on my '98 cummins)...basically...lost!

p.s. I also got an HST filter however, I have yet to find where the filter is on the tractor to replace it. I know...ROOKIE!!

Tractor
    New Holland / T4.75 Powerstar & Boomer 1030, Case 580 SM II, Mahindra 1526

My guess on the location of the HST filter is on underneath the operators platform on top of the HST. I am not familiar with the Mahindra, but can't be that much different than my Boomer 1030.

Bummer... on the engine cutting out. If it wasn't for the black smoke, it sounds like the vacuum in the fuel tank. If a diesel has all the air it want's and you add fuel, it would rev up to the limit. That S3L3 Mitsubishi engine is a reliable performer. I have the exact same one on my gernerator that feeds the whole house.
    What rpm does she idle? I wonder if it is some sort of adjustment or if something cloggs and uncloggs the fuel delivery. Could be that there is some dirt in the fuel tank / lines?
    When the engine loses its power it is not smoking, she only smokes when she is chugging (must be at low rpm), correct? If that's the case, she isn't getting any fuel at some point, trying hard to get fuel eventually dying.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 950 2wd John Deere 870 MFWD, John Deere F525 mower, John Deere F725 mower, John Deere F510 mower, John Deere Lx172 mower

Take a look at the turbo and spin it manually to make sure the shaft is not bent.

Tractor
    Mahindra 3215HST

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcla
    Thank you all for your input and time. I've finally gotten around to changing filters. I've replaced the Hydraulic, fuel, and air (both) filters....still losing power and chugging out after about 5 minutes of operating. I did notice about an inch worth of light greyish gasket type material, come out when I pulled off my hydraulic filter. Of course it got sucked down then drain hole of my used oil container before I could examine it closer but I'm going to go after it to see if I can identify what it is and lose my wedding ring during the process. I am not sure where to go from here. My thoughts are that if it was an injection pump issue, it would happen at start-up or, make the tractor hard to start (that's what it did on my '98 cummins)...basically...lost!

p.s. I also got an HST filter however, I have yet to find where the filter is on the tractor to replace it. I know...ROOKIE!!
    HST filter is inside right rear tire. If you look down the opening on right side of seat you can see the bottom of filter and plumbing.

'06 Mahindra 3215HST,KMW ML111 FEL,BushHog SBX65 Boxblade,BushHog RZ160 Rotary Cutter,Kasco KOS604 Seeder,Cosmo 250 3PT Spreader,Southern 6' Landscape Rake,Rhino LR 6' Rear Blade

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast