Performance Loss to engine shut down

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down
To all, thank you again for all of your input. I am going to give the tractor another run this weekend when I get a chance (active duty Marine Corps + Farrier + horse boarding + new born baby = not a lot of time left during the week). I think the route I'm going to take at this point is: change the engine oil/filter, replace the Hyd filter (big one under the left floorboard as I sit on the tractor), replace the fuel filter (in a clear filter housing about midway up the right side of the engine as I sit on the tractor?), and replace the outer air filter...and see where that gets me. At least it will give me more of a base line and rule out the simple things. I haven't checked for an EGR yet but if it's got one, it makes sense to replace that too. Does anyone know where I can get the most "cost effective" filters for these tasks?

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down #12  
To all, thank you again for all of your input. I am going to give the tractor another run this weekend when I get a chance (active duty Marine Corps + Farrier + horse boarding + new born baby = not a lot of time left during the week). I think the route I'm going to take at this point is: change the engine oil/filter, replace the Hyd filter (big one under the left floorboard as I sit on the tractor), replace the fuel filter (in a clear filter housing about midway up the right side of the engine as I sit on the tractor?), and replace the outer air filter...and see where that gets me. At least it will give me more of a base line and rule out the simple things. I haven't checked for an EGR yet but if it's got one, it makes sense to replace that too. Does anyone know where I can get the most "cost effective" filters for these tasks?

Sounds like a good place to start. Aftermarket filter availability is hit and miss. your best bet will be your dealer or online.

Good deal, I appreciate it!!

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down #14  
no prob... if you go by your dealer tell them whats going on the my be able to give you some advise. and/or ask if their mechanic is in and chat with him.

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down #15  

The filter for the HST transmission i had to get from mahindra dealer.

Fuel Filter Wix # 33262 (little shorter but fits fine)
Oil Filter Wix # 51348
Hydrolic Filter Wix # 51663

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down #16  
Thanks for serving, and congrats on your new baby. Jim:thumbsup:

Thank you all for your input and time. I've finally gotten around to changing filters. I've replaced the Hydraulic, fuel, and air (both) filters....still losing power and chugging out after about 5 minutes of operating. I did notice about an inch worth of light greyish gasket type material, come out when I pulled off my hydraulic filter. Of course it got sucked down then drain hole of my used oil container before I could examine it closer but I'm going to go after it to see if I can identify what it is and lose my wedding ring during the process. I am not sure where to go from here. My thoughts are that if it was an injection pump issue, it would happen at start-up or, make the tractor hard to start (that's what it did on my '98 cummins)...basically...lost!

p.s. I also got an HST filter however, I have yet to find where the filter is on the tractor to replace it. I know...ROOKIE!!

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down #18  
My guess on the location of the HST filter is on underneath the operators platform on top of the HST. I am not familiar with the Mahindra, but can't be that much different than my Boomer 1030.

Bummer... on the engine cutting out. If it wasn't for the black smoke, it sounds like the vacuum in the fuel tank. If a diesel has all the air it want's and you add fuel, it would rev up to the limit. That S3L3 Mitsubishi engine is a reliable performer. I have the exact same one on my gernerator that feeds the whole house.
What rpm does she idle? I wonder if it is some sort of adjustment or if something cloggs and uncloggs the fuel delivery. Could be that there is some dirt in the fuel tank / lines?
When the engine loses its power it is not smoking, she only smokes when she is chugging (must be at low rpm), correct? If that's the case, she isn't getting any fuel at some point, trying hard to get fuel eventually dying.

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down #19  
Take a look at the turbo and spin it manually to make sure the shaft is not bent.

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down #20  
jdmcla said:
Thank you all for your input and time. I've finally gotten around to changing filters. I've replaced the Hydraulic, fuel, and air (both) filters....still losing power and chugging out after about 5 minutes of operating. I did notice about an inch worth of light greyish gasket type material, come out when I pulled off my hydraulic filter. Of course it got sucked down then drain hole of my used oil container before I could examine it closer but I'm going to go after it to see if I can identify what it is and lose my wedding ring during the process. I am not sure where to go from here. My thoughts are that if it was an injection pump issue, it would happen at start-up or, make the tractor hard to start (that's what it did on my '98 cummins)...basically...lost!

p.s. I also got an HST filter however, I have yet to find where the filter is on the tractor to replace it. I know...ROOKIE!!

HST filter is inside right rear tire. If you look down the opening on right side of seat you can see the bottom of filter and plumbing.