Performance Loss to engine shut down

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down
I will certainly check the recommended locations for this mystery filter. The bi*ch of a tractor idles at around 1000 rpm (or the first marker on the RPM guage) and it's not a labored idle...she idles just fine and then after I drive around/do some loader work for a few minutes (literaly 5 minutes), I can watch the RPM gauge start to fall from max RPM (even if I hold the accelerator down) and when I let off the accelerator, it'll dip way down to probably 250-500 RPMs and then come back up to 1000. However, if I keep the tractor running, for even a couple more minutes, it will NOT stay running at the previous 1000 RPM mark. If I bump up the idle lever to keep it running, it'll suffer the same fate, but will just take a little longer. I've removed & replaced the fuel filter but, I will try disconnecting some fuel lines to see what kinds of rodents fall out. When the engine loses power, all I notice is that it becomes a little noisier (no pistons knocking or anything, just a little louder) and as the RPMS drop WAAAY low, it'll chug out some black smoke but on it's way down, it does not billow smoke.

I will also check the turbo to ensure the shaft isn't broken. If it is broken/bent, I will post pics of a HUGE fireball, that used to be a 3215!

You guys are great for taking the time to help out with this and, it actually gives me a reason to sit on my tail for a couple minutes until the boss lady thinks of some other minute task that for some reason needs to be done yesterday or the entire world is going to crumble so, thanks fellas...sanity among men!!

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down #22  
Worked on a 2516 a few weeks back with pretty much same symtoms. Turned out to be trash in the bottom of the tank. Drained and cleaned tank and has been running fine since.

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down #23  
Check the vent in the fuel cap, make sure it is open. It sure sounds like a fuel vent problem. Also, Dave could be right about trash in the bottom of the tank, but I would check the vent 1st.

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down #24  
Thank you all for the input, I truly appreciate it and will try to respond in-line with the current replies. ENG18LT: this is a possibility, do you happen to know where I could locate the screen and give it a good cleaning? SPYDERLK: I checked the engine oil and the level is good, color is dark (like it's ready to be replaced) so I will replace it, and the filter. I'm with you about the black smoke. My thoughts on that are, that I'm still getting fuel so that rules out a fuel delivery issue. Before the bogging down starts, I can faintly hear that little turbo kicking in...so that works. The only place that I can see where Hyd fluid may have gotten is at the back end of the hard line, that runs into the tractor, at the rear...not sure if that has happened though, something to check out. Texan4Life: I thought of that as well and pulled the cover off the air filter (Black smoke usually = too much fuel, not enough air). The outer filter was pretty clogged so I bounced it off my hand for about 5 minutes to shake all of the crap out of it...no improvement. All that being said, I still have no idea what this could be and why it would have just started when this Hyd thing happened. I thought about compression and loss of fluid and how that's not a good thing..but then I bumped my head and remembered that the engine uses engine oil, not Hyd fluid...so...still at a loss!:confused:

What do you hear when the little turbo kicking in? The turbo should emit steady whine proportional to its rpm. If it pops the suction (in example air filter is clogged) or the discharge (the part downstream of the turbo) is restricted.
Try to run it without the filter. You might have a critter nest in the tube leading to the air filter.

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down #25  
When the problem is happening check the fuel filter housing, is the fuel bowl full of fuel or is it only part full? I have had one 3215 with similar problem. Fuel bowl would be at best half full when poor running was happening and let idle and it would start to fill again. The problem was it had debris in the tank, but ofcourse the screen in the filler neck was missing, as the customer said they took it out as it took to long to fill with it in there.

I will give the fuel vent a shot and see what I can find. Next I will see how much fuel I can spill on the wifes best saddle pad (my butt pad) while I drain the tank down to look for crap in the bottom or, I'll get something nice and bright to hold above the filler neck to see if I can see the bottom of the tank..I think a road flare would do the trick (not serious about that one folks)

I can still hear the lil baby turbo whinding out when I mash the throttle and I don't notice any abnormal noises associated with the loss of power and any turbo noises. This may also be due to this "selective hearing" I apparently have been infected with..wierd thing is...I came down with it shortly after getting married..really strange...anyways, I might be "choosing" not to hear any turbo problems due to the cost of a new one..we'll see if this whole hearing thing clears up!

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down #27  
When turbo pops few times per second means there is nothing wrong with the turbo but air flow is restricted. It is called surging. If the turbo just spools and whines at steady sound the air flow is unrestricted.
Here is an example.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sm2flQESgI&NR=1&feature=fvwp]Compressor surge EF falcon turbo - YouTube[/ame]

Outstanding! Thank you for the youtube of that turbo. It'll be a great reference if the fuel cap/tank ideas don't pan out.