Performance Loss to engine shut down

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down #1  

jdmcla

Tractor
Mahindra 3215
Good afternoon, I've got a 3215 4x4 that isn't acting right. Here's the situation, I recently replaced a rubber elbow that attaches two hard line sections of tubing (attaches to the hydraulic filter under tractor). When the elbow split, I lost what I have to assume, was most of my hydraulic fluid (in a HAZMAT safe area...of course). Since then, I've replaced the elbow and refilled the fluid to the correct level on the dipstick. After running the tractor for about 5 min (when it warms up) the engine begins to chug and die out. It happens mostly in 3rd gear, when the engine comes under the initial load to take off but, if I come to a stop, put it in neutral, and give it gas it's as if I am flooding the engine (black smoke, chugging, RPMs slow to climb etc.) If I still let it keep going it will just chug out and die. I notice that when I start to lose power that if I try using my FEL, it bogs the engine down even further. My engine skills are limited however, I can't help but want to tie this problem in with the hydraulics somehow..any guidance is always appreciated!!

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down #2  
I wonder if you got something in the hydraulic system and the screen is partially plugged, maybe?

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down #3  
Have you checked your engine oil? Black smoke signifies heavy load/ unburnt fuel. No direct connection to a hydraulic system ... but maybe something got damaged when the elbow split and a lot of hyd fluid has gotten somewhere wrong besides the ground. Maybe the crankcase.:confused2:
larry

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down #4  
also check your air intake for restrictions and clean the air filter.

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down
Thank you all for the input, I truly appreciate it and will try to respond in-line with the current replies. ENG18LT: this is a possibility, do you happen to know where I could locate the screen and give it a good cleaning? SPYDERLK: I checked the engine oil and the level is good, color is dark (like it's ready to be replaced) so I will replace it, and the filter. I'm with you about the black smoke. My thoughts on that are, that I'm still getting fuel so that rules out a fuel delivery issue. Before the bogging down starts, I can faintly hear that little turbo kicking in...so that works. The only place that I can see where Hyd fluid may have gotten is at the back end of the hard line, that runs into the tractor, at the rear...not sure if that has happened though, something to check out. Texan4Life: I thought of that as well and pulled the cover off the air filter (Black smoke usually = too much fuel, not enough air). The outer filter was pretty clogged so I bounced it off my hand for about 5 minutes to shake all of the crap out of it...no improvement. All that being said, I still have no idea what this could be and why it would have just started when this Hyd thing happened. I thought about compression and loss of fluid and how that's not a good thing..but then I bumped my head and remembered that the engine uses engine oil, not Hyd fluid...so...still at a loss!:confused:

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down #6  
I am not sure where it would be located on your machine, if your manual does not tell you I would send a note to Galen, LAWALLSTRACTOR, he is on the forums and has been very helpful in the past.

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down #7  
jdmcla said:
Thank you all for the input, I truly appreciate it and will try to respond in-line with the current replies. ENG18LT: this is a possibility, do you happen to know where I could locate the screen and give it a good cleaning? SPYDERLK: I checked the engine oil and the level is good, color is dark (like it's ready to be replaced) so I will replace it, and the filter. I'm with you about the black smoke. My thoughts on that are, that I'm still getting fuel so that rules out a fuel delivery issue. Before the bogging down starts, I can faintly hear that little turbo kicking in...so that works. The only place that I can see where Hyd fluid may have gotten is at the back end of the hard line, that runs into the tractor, at the rear...not sure if that has happened though, something to check out. Texan4Life: I thought of that as well and pulled the cover off the air filter (Black smoke usually = too much fuel, not enough air). The outer filter was pretty clogged so I bounced it off my hand for about 5 minutes to shake all of the crap out of it...no improvement. All that being said, I still have no idea what this could be and why it would have just started when this Hyd thing happened. I thought about compression and loss of fluid and how that's not a good thing..but then I bumped my head and remembered that the engine uses engine oil, not Hyd fluid...so...still at a loss!:confused:

Check the fuel shut off lever that is likely soleniod operated. It may not be fully opened. Everything but the black smoke sounds like a fuel filter needing changed. If it has been a while since you changed the fu filter it would be a simple and cheap try.

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down #8  
hmmm. for excessive black smoke it either not getting enough air or it is overfueling for some reason.

Does the 3215 have any emissions equipment like EGR? if a EGR is stuck open it will run fine cold and then when it warms up it won't act right because it is sucking to much exhaust. (not enough clean air)

I guess next thing would be to make sure your turbo is putting out enough air. is there a place to check boost pressure? should have a port on the intake manifold somewhere. and your can use a gauge that reads low like 0 to 20. I wouldn't expect a stock setup to be building to much pressure. probably less than 10psi, like 5-8psi. Maybe someone in the know has the spec for what it should be putting out.

if all that is good then I would suspect injectors/injector pump. Maybe an injector is stuck open

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down #9  
I agree check the fuel filter, it,s a cheap fix. It may just be a coincidence that the tube split at the same time. Jim

/ Performance Loss to engine shut down #10  
I think you blew the hydraulic return hose. I had the same thing happening to my NH TC55DA. I put a new hose on and about 30 liters of hydraulic fluid, a new hydraulic filter and everything was well. There shouldn't be ill effects afterwards. There is a thread about that in the NH Owning/Operating forum.
Sounds like service is almost due on your tractor.
So I'd change: hydraulic filter, fuel filter and I have a hard look on the air filter.
Fuel starvation does not give any black smoke, but starving for air does! By any chance you are not growing engine oil (engine oil level getting higher without adding engine oil)? I also check if there is enough fuel coming from the tank. Not that the fuel line is plugged and adds to the not enough air situation.