Oil & Fuel Help with stuck filters

/ Help with stuck filters #1  

dave47111

Tractor
Mahindra 3505DI
I have a 3505DI that I need to replace the Fuel filters on. Only problem I can't get the canisters holding them to come loose. How do the come off?

Last edited:
   / Help with stuck filters #2  
Did you try a strap wrench?

/ Help with stuck filters #4  
Sometimes in the shop we had no choice but to shove a pointed bar through the filter to break it loose.

Last edited:
   / Help with stuck filters #5  
If all else fails hammer a screwdriver through the filter and turn it that way. I have also had great luck using a large pipe wrench on filters that wouldn't move. If you have the room that is the way to go!

/ Help with stuck filters #6  
I think Roy is talking about one of these. It's a pretty much a "must have " tool for me.

NAPA AUTO PARTS

Mine is more similar to the picture shown in the upper left corner...any will do as long as it gives you enough leverage.

Even though filter manufacturers say to hand tighten, then another 1/4-1/2 turn, it seems like filters tighten themselves during use.

I've also had to use a long pointed object (large screwdriver) as ultrarunner wrote about.

/ Help with stuck filters #7  
One of these locking chain clamps works great on stuck filters and you can whack it with a hammer if necessary. Locking Chain Clamp Rather than driving a screwdriver through the filter which can and will start the filter tearing apart using the chain clamp near the base or end gives you a lot of grip to remove the filter. Locking two of them together gives you one very big T wrench for large diameter filters.

/ Help with stuck filters #8  
As you would do with a stubborn nut, bolt, or screw; try tightening first. Many times this works very well. Apply force until you hear a little click. You will probably feel it too. It's like magic.

/ Help with stuck filters #9  
I have a 3505DI that I need to replace the Fuel filters on. Only problem I can't get the canisters holding them to come loose. How do the come off?

It isn't a spin on filter. Loosen the bolt on top of the filter assembly.