Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Default Re: Mahindra 3720 backhoe for the 3016

Quote Originally Posted by jtfrench View Post
    Good luck with it and be careful, I snapped the bucket ram digging out a stump.
    Kind of hard to explain, but I was pulling on a 3 inch diameter root, it wouldn't pull anymore so I pushed the boom back on the bucket for some leverage and the ram snapped like a pretzel stick right in the middle. Mahindra replaced it sight in seen, but when dealer saw it he said if they had known what it looked like they wouldn't have. It also bent the 1 in diameter pin that connects it to the bucket, I had to beat it out. In my opinion it should be stronger than that or not able to hydraulically do what I did. Haven't had any problems since with the exception a leak that I fixed with a new o-ring.

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L3830

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbanewf View Post
    Thanks guys: Well I found out how strong roots can be. The stump was a fir but it was huge. I had to be careful not to catch onto large roots fully with the bucket or it would just stop digging. I spent a lot of time going up when I wanted to go down or out when I wanted to go in, but I got the hang of it.
    The root ball was about four feet deep. I hit stone at about five feet. The roots spread out instead of down . The mountain is like that having a few feet of soil mostly crab orchard stone underneath. I worked on it for over four hours. pulled it out and pushed it aside with the loader. I will have to pull it to the burn pile with a chain. If I had a grapple I would be able to keep it in the bucket.

I have a smaller stump to work on tomorrow. Hopefully I will be a little faster too!

The biggest problem I had was getting the bucket to empty. Its been wet and the clay like soil stuck in the bucket like glue.
    I had to dig it out with a stick . Maybe need to carry a shovel with me.
    Raid the wifes kitchen cabinet for PAM. Spray the inside of the dipper bucket. Try it and see if it works, does in some soils does not in others if it does the next time you pass a Dollar General Store stop in and purchase a can for the Backhoe.

Tractor
    Mahindra 3616

I tried that many many times. I happened to have a stump handy to bang it on.
    I will spray the bucket with cheap pam once it is clean. I think I have the hang of banging it on the stump but some sucking mud just wont budge! Normally, I wouldnt choose to dig stumps right after days of rain, but had to try it out.
    I know I dug the hole much deeper than I needed to. But, I needed to know just how deep the roots went. I dont think they went down to the stone, seemed to spread out at about 4 feet deep. It was a very large fir tree but has been cut for a few years. I was surprised that the roots were not rotted away.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Changes often!

Quote Originally Posted by jtfrench View Post
    Kind of hard to explain, but I was pulling on a 3 inch diameter root, it wouldn't pull anymore so I pushed the boom back on the bucket for some leverage and the ram snapped like a pretzel stick right in the middle. Mahindra replaced it sight in seen, but when dealer saw it he said if they had known what it looked like they wouldn't have. It also bent the 1 in diameter pin that connects it to the bucket, I had to beat it out. In my opinion it should be stronger than that or not able to hydraulically do what I did. Haven't had any problems since with the exception a leak that I fixed with a new o-ring.
    When you extend the bucket ram all the way, it is at it's weakest point. Hydraulically extending or retracting the bucket only at that point will not bend the ram, as the pressure relief prevents that from happening. But if you leave the bucket ram well extended and then put a bunch of additional force on that ram with the boom cylinder, that can bend or break a ram. You see, on most compact backhoes, there is no way for the oil in the bucket ram to relieve itself when the spool for that cylinder is closed. There are ways to plumb in a load relief (wrong term I think) that will let the bucket hydraulically uncurl, but typically smaller backhoes do not have them. I've bent a bucket ram or two on 10k lb mini-excavators digging out stumps before I figured out what was happening. If you understand the dynamics, which took me a while, you tend to not bend the bucket rams.
    Dave
    Dave's Tractor, Inc.
    Red Bluff, California

Tractor
    2012 Mahindra 3616 w/loader

Just read about your purchase of the 3616. I bought a Mahindra 3616 just before Christmas 2012. I got it with a front end loader. Could not afford the backhoe at this time, but hope to purchase in the near future. I'm having a lot of fun with tractor. I only have 2.5 hours on it. Hope you are having as much fun as I am.

Tractor
    2009 Mahindra 2816 Gear

I like the looks of the new 3720 BH. I have the older 3710. Only thing I hate is the swing chains.

Just food for thought, but does anyone know if there are any after market bolt on thumbs that I could install on mine? I saw somewhere on the forum where a guy either bought an after market thumb or built his own for a Kioti.
    2009 Mahindra 2816 Gear, 106 FEL, 3710 BH
    Kodiak 5' SD Rotary Cutter w/slip clutch
    Howse 12" Single Bottom Plow
    Ford Disc Harrow 5ft

U.S. Navy Veteran

Tractor
    Mahindra 6520 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by nelsond7004 View Post
    I like the looks of the new 3720 BH. I have the older 3710. Only thing I hate is the swing chains.

Just food for thought, but does anyone know if there are any after market bolt on thumbs that I could install on mine? I saw somewhere on the forum where a guy either bought an after market thumb or built his own for a Kioti.
    Do a search here on TBN for bolt on thumbs. There are numerous threads about them.
    hugs, Brandi

Tractor
    Mahindra 2615HST

Quote Originally Posted by nelsond7004 View Post

My dealer told me, Rankin makes one for the 3710. I believe they are around $650.00. Rankin Backhoe Thumb
    I thank God for these gifts: 2005 Mahindra 2615 HST w/loader, (485 hours), and 3710 backhoe. Markham tooth bar, Bush Hog SQ60 rotary cutter, Bush Hog 3507 angle blade, Bush Hog LLR84 landscape rake w/gauge wheels, Rankin loader mounted forks, Paumco Quick Spade, Agri-Ease 3 point log splitter.

Tractor
    2009 Mahindra 2816 Gear

Quote Originally Posted by AchingBack View Post
    My dealer told me, Rankin makes one for the 3710. I believe they are around $650.00. Rankin Backhoe Thumb
    That's good to know. I would hope for cheaper, but I guess I will take what I can get. A thumb sure would make some of my projects much better and easier. Thanks for the info!
    2009 Mahindra 2816 Gear, 106 FEL, 3710 BH
    Kodiak 5' SD Rotary Cutter w/slip clutch
    Howse 12" Single Bottom Plow
    Ford Disc Harrow 5ft

U.S. Navy Veteran

Tractor
    mahindra 3616

I had bought a 3616 back in august and had very good luck with the tractor. I also bought the 3720 along with it. On my machine I have noticed that the boom does not clear the swing cylinder assembly without hitting on the left hand side. The dealer has replaced that swing cylinder assembly and no difference. Still trying to get this right, just wondering if any of you 3720 owners are seeing the same thing?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast