Narrowed it to 5035, now HST or PST? Pros and cons to each, anyone?

/ Narrowed it to 5035, now HST or PST? Pros and cons to each, anyone? #1  

quarterhorse

Tractor
Kioti Dk 45 se HST
So I've decided on the 5035 but not sure which transmission to get. The HST makes sense from an ease perspective (I live on a steep hill) and I think I read somewhere that the transmission is somewhat bulletproof due to a lack of moving parts. I'm less familiar with the PST but hear that it is a good transmission for loader and backhoe work but more prone to being damaged, frankly I can use either but my significant other would probably have an easier time with the hydro (not that I'm planning on letting her use it, but you never know :laughing:). Any experts here with first-hand knowledge of both want to chime in on the pros and cons of both?

Thanks in advance for any info.

/ Narrowed it to 5035, now HST or PST? Pros and cons to each, anyone? #2  
I would "Search" HST v. PST and read the resulting threads as this has been hashed over lotsa times. Might even Google it to see what else you find.

/ Narrowed it to 5035, now HST or PST? Pros and cons to each, anyone? #3  
I do not think the PST, or the standard trans for that matter, is less robust than the HST. The PST is basically a standard transmission with a hydralic controlled 'reverser' section that uses wet clutches to change direction. VS the standard trans where you have to push the clutch in and move the shift lever to reverse, then let out the clutch. None of these three transmissions will last forever with a poor operator. And, you always have a chance of getting a bad part in any of the three. I used a PST for years [ John Deere reverser ]. With the foot throttle and the direction lever under the steering wheel... it is real handy to work the tractor if you are doing a lot of direction changes. The HST is even more versital in that you can both change direction and ground speed quickly whilst you work. But you can do the same thing with the standard trans/clutch and get quite proficient at it after a while. Once you get used to a trans that is 'higher up the chain' in ease of use, it is hard to go back though.. The Mahindra I just bought last year is probably my last tractor, so I went with the HST... A tractor is a long term investment for most of us. It pays not to nickle and dime the decision unless you only plan to keep it for a short number of years then upgrade... :)

/ Narrowed it to 5035, now HST or PST? Pros and cons to each, anyone? #4  
So I've decided on the 5035 but not sure which transmission to get. The HST makes sense from an ease perspective (I live on a steep hill) and I think I read somewhere that the transmission is somewhat bulletproof due to a lack of moving parts. I'm less familiar with the PST but hear that it is a good transmission for loader and backhoe work but more prone to being damaged, frankly I can use either but my significant other would probably have an easier time with the hydro (not that I'm planning on letting her use it, but you never know :laughing:). Any experts here with first-hand knowledge of both want to chime in on the pros and cons of both?

Thanks in advance for any info.

"...(PST) is a good transmission for loader and backhoe work" I can agree with the backhoe part but not the loader part. The shuttle shift is a step up but the HST is the best for all of the forwarding and reversing when it comes to loader work. PST would be the best option if you are planning on doing a lot of field work, basically going in one direction, forward, for a long period. However, the HST does have a cruise control so that you dont have to constantly be mashing on the pedal. All in all, without stirring up a huge debate, it comes down to personal preference. Drive them both and get the one that you like best. Oh...go with the PST if you want to keep the wife off it:D I have the HST and the wife has still managed to smash into the barn a couple of times:eek:

/ Narrowed it to 5035, now HST or PST? Pros and cons to each, anyone? #5  
The shuttle shift is a step up but the HST is the best for all of the forwarding and reversing when it comes to loader work. PST would be the best option if you are planning on doing a lot of field work, basically going in one direction, forward, for a long period. However, the HST does have a cruise control so that you dont have to constantly be mashing on the pedal. All in all, without stirring up a huge debate, it comes down to personal preference. Drive them both and get the one that you like best. Oh...go with the PST if you want to keep the wife off it:D I have the HST and the wife has still managed to smash into the barn a couple of times:eek:
+1.
I have done loader work in a HST, GST (Kubota version of PST) and gear transmissions. HST wins hands down for loader and bushhog work. If you are going to be pulling a plow, disc, etc most of the time I might not get it, but for loader work, tilling, hay, mowing, etc I would go with a HST if you can swing it.

Aaron Z

/ Narrowed it to 5035, now HST or PST? Pros and cons to each, anyone? #6  
Their called "utility" for a reason. You'll have to figure out what you will be doing MOST of the time and decide from there. I read and read before buying my 4035 and thought HST would be best. I do not regret it.

/ Narrowed it to 5035, now HST or PST? Pros and cons to each, anyone? #7  
Their called "utility" for a reason. You'll have to figure out what you will be doing MOST of the time and decide from there. I read and read before buying my 4035 and thought HST would be best. I do not regret it.

Like everybody says drive both but whichever you buy you will quickly learn to use.

That being said my dad had a 4240 Kubota HST for a while. To me it seemed weak, it wouldn't drive on the trailer in medium range. It simply doesnt put all the power to the ground. With a shuttle, PST, gear etc. it will either pull, stall, or spin. The HST will just sit there and whine. He got rid of it and even his RTV. He thought all he would want was an HST but after owning them he didnt like them.

When it came time for me to buy my first tractor I bought a shuttle. I like having the foot throttle and not having to run around with my motor revved up to do any work. It is not as precise in loader work but it is better in field work IMO. I prefer to bush hog with a shuttle. It isnt that you cant be as precise with loader work it just takes a little more effort having to work the clutch and brakes.

My girlfriend is all of 104 lbs soaking wet and prefers the shuttle. She said the HST felt like a lawnmower lol. She drives the tractor almost as much as I do!!

Whichever you get there will be times when the other will be better but just think what you will be doing the most of and go from there. I know when I get on an HST tractor I dont like it but I would imagine that when an HST tractor owner got on my shuttle shift he would feel the same. When spending $20k+ I don't think the difference in price should make a difference.

/ Narrowed it to 5035, now HST or PST? Pros and cons to each, anyone? #8  
Like everybody says drive both but whichever you buy you will quickly learn to use.

That being said my dad had a 4240 Kubota HST for a while. To me it seemed weak, it wouldn't drive on the trailer in medium range. It simply doesnt put all the power to the ground. With a shuttle, PST, gear etc. it will either pull, stall, or spin. The HST will just sit there and whine. He got rid of it and even his RTV. He thought all he would want was an HST but after owning them he didnt like them.

When it came time for me to buy my first tractor I bought a shuttle. I like having the foot throttle and not having to run around with my motor revved up to do any work. It is not as precise in loader work but it is better in field work IMO. I prefer to bush hog with a shuttle. It isnt that you cant be as precise with loader work it just takes a little more effort having to work the clutch and brakes.

My girlfriend is all of 104 lbs soaking wet and prefers the shuttle. She said the HST felt like a lawnmower lol. She drives the tractor almost as much as I do!!

Whichever you get there will be times when the other will be better but just think what you will be doing the most of and go from there. I know when I get on an HST tractor I dont like it but I would imagine that when an HST tractor owner got on my shuttle shift he would feel the same. When spending $20k+ I don't think the difference in price should make a difference.

Interesting about the kubota HST.

I base my HST experience off an IH hydro 70 (70hp 2wd diesel) Its a full size row crop farm tractor. It will stall or spin the wheels if you push the hydrostat hard enough. If a hydro wont do that something isn't right IMO.

/ Narrowed it to 5035, now HST or PST? Pros and cons to each, anyone? #9  
Put it in Low, it'll spin all four wheels.

/ Narrowed it to 5035, now HST or PST? Pros and cons to each, anyone? #10  
As far as I can tell, the Mahindra 5035 HST has no 'pop off valve'. You press the go pedal, and either the tractor moves or she spins. You can stall it if you have more traction than torque in Med or High.... but she doesn't seem to have a bypass. No seat switch, either.... :)