Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Oliver 1855, Case 1840, Cub 1550

Default Re: Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion

Get the quality ends that are crimped on or soldered on. I solder these on, heat the end with a torch, melt solder in end, fill half way full, then insert wire into molten solder. Wear gloves and hold end with a vise grip. I also use large heat shrink tubing to seal connection. Install the felt washers on the post and spray the terminal with the thick red protective coating, this will outlast the cheap factory connections.

Dave

Tractor
    Mahindra 3215HST

I had a similar issue with the negative side and I was able to just replace the whole short cable with a new one. Since your dealing with the positive side I think your only option is to replace the end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-116887620-jpg  

'06 Mahindra 3215HST,KMW ML111 FEL,BushHog SBX65 Boxblade,BushHog RZ160 Rotary Cutter,Kasco KOS604 Seeder,Cosmo 250 3PT Spreader,Southern 6' Landscape Rake,Rhino LR 6' Rear Blade

Tractor
    Mahindra 3510

Do you guys use battery maintaners?
    My original untreated Mahindra battery lasted 9 years and corrosion was never a problem. I don't know if the maintainer had anything to do with it or not??
    PROUD AIR FORCE DAD

Tractor
    Mahindra 2615HST

I use the cheap Harbor Freight float chargers on my tractor, and electric start field and brush mower. Both batteries seem as strong as they did 3-4 years ago.
    I thank God for these gifts: 2005 Mahindra 2615 HST w/loader, (485 hours), and 3710 backhoe. Markham tooth bar, Bush Hog SQ60 rotary cutter, Bush Hog 3507 angle blade, Bush Hog LLR84 landscape rake w/gauge wheels, Rankin loader mounted forks, Paumco Quick Spade, Agri-Ease 3 point log splitter.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCrash View Post
    My 3016 wouldn't start this weekend. Checked the battery and the terminal bracket was corroded away. The problem is the bracket is a think piece of metal instead of solid metal like car brackets. Dissapointing construction.
    Sorry, but that's nothing more than a lack of maintenance.
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

Tractor
    Mahindra 2615HST

Quote Originally Posted by Willl View Post
    Sorry, but that's nothing more than a lack of maintenance.
    Frequent checks of the battery is just as important as other tractor maintenance. Because mine is under the air filter container, it is hard to get a good look at it without a strong flash light. Those battery caps can vibrate loose, especially if they weren't firmly tapped down with a light instrument. I suggest looking at the battery, and cables, no less than once a month.
    I thank God for these gifts: 2005 Mahindra 2615 HST w/loader, (485 hours), and 3710 backhoe. Markham tooth bar, Bush Hog SQ60 rotary cutter, Bush Hog 3507 angle blade, Bush Hog LLR84 landscape rake w/gauge wheels, Rankin loader mounted forks, Paumco Quick Spade, Agri-Ease 3 point log splitter.

Tractor
    Mahindra 3215HST

First tractor for me. Thought it would be similar to autos but Achingback is right. You need to check these cables more frequently. But I know the new cable I installed has a more traditional end which I don't think will ever corrode like the cheaper style they are using on everything now, even autos.

'06 Mahindra 3215HST,KMW ML111 FEL,BushHog SBX65 Boxblade,BushHog RZ160 Rotary Cutter,Kasco KOS604 Seeder,Cosmo 250 3PT Spreader,Southern 6' Landscape Rake,Rhino LR 6' Rear Blade

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 4530

I used a generic connector on my 2615, worked fine.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2001 Mahindra 4110

My Nissan truck is almost 20 years old and has almost 260K miles on it and those exact same type battery terminals look like they did when I bought it new, just takes proper maintenance. My 4110 terminals are now 11 years old and on the 3rd battery and they are still in great condition too. The acidic gasses leak up around the posts on all batteries, some worse than others, that's why I use the little felts under the terminals on every battery of mine that I additionally soak in the spray protector and then spray the the whole post/terminal once it's complete. Been a pro mechanic for over 40 years now and this has ALWAYS worked for me. Grease is NOT good for this, it will eventually get between the terminal & post and cause connection problems. The spray stuff doesn't melt and get down between the terminal & post and will not give this problem. Have dealt with this on literally thousands of autos over the years. Permatex and CRC both make good spray protectants and a can will last for years ...
    2001 Mahindra 4110, FEL w/5' & 6' QA buckets & forks for the 5', 6' Atlas boxblade, older 6' Howse rotary, Leinbach 7300 PHD w/9" & 12", MF 2/3 bottom plow, 20"x6' bog disc, KK subsoiler, KK middlebuster, Kubota BL60C 5' tiller, Maschio 6' finish mower.

Tractor
    Mahindra 2615

Quote Originally Posted by Srb08
    I used a generic connector on my 2615, worked fine.
    I did the same on my 2615 last year. I am on the original battery on a 2006 model.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast