Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion

/ Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion #21  
Six years on a battery is very good. If I would have done some preventive maintenance on my battery when it was new, I'm sure I would have lasted more than 3 1/2 years. from it.

/ Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion #22  
AchingBack said:
Six years on a battery is very good. If I would have done some preventive maintenance on my battery when it was new, I'm sure I would have lasted more than 3 1/2 years. from it.

My experience with batteries is that the OEM battery on trucks, ATVs, lawn mowers, tractors, etc hold up well and replacements don't last very long.

/ Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion
Sorry, but that's nothing more than a lack of maintenance.

Yes and no..... in my case the corrosion was present on a tractor that was roughly a year old. My 7 year old car (Honda Accord) has a battery terminal which is of similar construction, but still has no evidence of corrosion what so ever after 7 years. The difference is that Honda coated the battery terminal with a protectant grease, the Mahinda appears not to have any sort protectant applied, simply bare metal. Over the years of working on various vehicles and equipment you have expectations of what may need tending to and when. A tractor a year old I would not expect to have a problem with a battery connector if properly installed at the factory with a protectant coating such as was on my car, thus I normally wouldn't look at this. For what ever reason I did look under the red boot cover and noticed the corrosion and that's what prompted me to start this thread, as I didn't think most folks would check this on a fairly new tractor.

/ Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion #24  
Yes and no..... in my case the corrosion was present on a tractor that was roughly a year old. My 7 year old car (Honda Accord) has a battery terminal which is of similar construction, but still has no evidence of corrosion what so ever after 7 years. The difference is that Honda coated the battery terminal with a protectant grease, the Mahinda appears not to have any sort protectant applied, simply bare metal. Over the years of working on various vehicles and equipment you have expectations of what may need tending to and when. A tractor a year old I would not expect to have a problem with a battery connector if properly installed at the factory with a protectant coating such as was on my car, thus I normally wouldn't look at this. For what ever reason I did look under the red boot cover and noticed the corrosion and that's what prompted me to start this thread, as I didn't think most folks would check this on a fairly new tractor.

I just looked at mine today, just for the **** of it, and found the same thing. My clamps were still good but the bolts were shot. Just have to get some new bolts and put it back together. On a side note my dealer(Lawalls), said he would come out and take care of it. I live twenty miles away from him. Good dealer, made me feel good about my choice to buy Mahindra. My tractor is a 2011.

/ Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion #25  
Did not have time to read all the posts, but will throw this two bits in on corroded terminals. NEVER, NEVER use baking soda to clean terminals; devestaing mto batteries if it gets inside besides it makes a mess you can oly clean up by my method. Process: 1. Disconnect both terminals and remove the bolts/nuts. 2. Fill and set the tea kettle on and when the whistkle goes off pour the hot water over terminals, posts, top of battery, and nuts and bolts. 3. Brighten up all pieces with a SS wire brush. 4. Reassemble and tighten bolts. 5. Apply battery terminal varnish liberally. Now every thing is clean, no foam residu, and you are back in business. This solution is at least 65 years old that I know of. Us old guys have tried it all and nsettle on things that work.

/ Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion #26  
I use baking soda and water and apply to the terminals, let soak for a few minutes and rinse with clean water. Then I apply a thin coat of grease or battery post spray to the terminal and post. Rinsing with water leaves no residue and I have been doing it that way for 40 years. I have never had to replace a battery terminal end or battery cable. I would point out that different things work for different people.

/ Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion #27  
I'll be buying a Max 28 in the next couple of months and will be trying to order it with an AGM battery. These batteries are sealed and require no maintenance.

My experience with battery corrosion occurs mainly from over filling the battery and then when it charges it forces a little battery acid onto the top of the battery and this acid caused the corrosion. These AGM batteries eliminate this possibility.

Just my opinion of course and each of us must kill our own snakes.

/ Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion #28  
Ok, I changed the terminal end, trickle charged the battery (charger indicates battery fully charged). Turn the key to the first click and I have indicators, and a kind of buzzing sound. Turn to second click for start and nothing. Checked fuses, all ok. Checked safety solenoid on HST pedal, appears to be engaging. Is there a safety solenoid on the clutch as well? Pushed the clutch in and moved gear selector through all gears, back to neutral pre-start, still nothing. Any ideas?

/ Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion #30  
Not knowing how much you have worked on stuff, it is hard to recommend something. But if it were me [ disclaimer here ], I'd turn the key to on... then jumper from the big 12v postive lead on the starter to the little solenoid terminal... and see if she would turn over and/or start that way. That bypasses all the little wiring and switches [ ie:safety switches ].. But you have to be smart enough to make sure the tractor is in neutral, etc... If that does not do anything.. then you probably have a loose or bad big cable going to the battery [ don't forget the ground cable on the frame ], bad solenoid or starter, or could even be an open inside the battery itself. Like the above post, voltmeter is really what you need... Good luck, Jerry....