Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion

/ Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion #41  
After reading all the posts I tend to agree with the expansion and contraction that occurs between the battery plastic housing and the lead posts. Anyway I cleaned corrosion up again, put felt pads on posts and coated connectors with the red anti corrosion spray. We'll see how long this helps. Another note is you may want to pull the battery and check for any rust occurring under the battery. I cleaned up the rust and coated with a line-x type truck bed liner spray. I have to store my tractor outside(like my cars) and it seems rain water can get into this area through the front grill and attribute to the rusting.

/ Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion #42  
I haven't had a corroded battery connector on anything in over 30 years. That is when I discovered (thru work) the wonderful No-ox-Id chemical treated grease from SanChem. I use it on everything battery related.. I also use it on sheet metal screws in automotive applications (like antenna brackets for instance) You will never have ANY corrosion on any metal coated with No-Ox-Id. The first thing I do with any new vehicle I get is to coat all battery related connections. That is it. You are done for the rest of the life of the vehicle.

Corrosion Protection-Rust Preventatives-Block Corrosion-Prevent Rust

James K0UA

/ Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion #43  
I haven't had a corroded battery connector on anything in over 30 years. That is when I discovered (thru work) the wonderful No-ox-Id chemical treated grease from SanChem. I use it on everything battery related.. I also use it on sheet metal screws in automotive applications (like antenna brackets for instance) You will never have ANY corrosion on any metal coated with No-Ox-Id. The first thing I do with any new vehicle I get is to coat all battery related connections. That is it. You are done for the rest of the life of the vehicle.

Corrosion Protection-Rust Preventatives-Block Corrosion-Prevent Rust

James K0UA

I sent for information on this product, and if it is as good as you say it is, I will treat all of the tractors with it when I do the initial inspection.

/ Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion #44  
I sent for information on this product, and if it is as good as you say it is, I will treat all of the tractors with it when I do the initial inspection.

I got started with it over 30 years ago when it came with the stationary battery's that were backup power for our PBX's. The instructions said to coat all connections on the battery plant. Of course there was more grease sent than was actually needed for the installation, so I always kept the remainder of the container. I have used it ever since on every thing I have owned that has a battery, and also for coating screws on Antenna bracket installations on auto's. I havent done a PBX battery installation for over 15 years, but I still have probably enough of the grease to last the rest of my life! So while I have never actually bought any of the stuff, I sure have used the heck out of it!

James K0UA

/ Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion #45  
MarkF48 said:
Yes and no..... in my case the corrosion was present on a tractor that was roughly a year old. My 7 year old car (Honda Accord) has a battery terminal which is of similar construction, but still has no evidence of corrosion what so ever after 7 years. The difference is that Honda coated the battery terminal with a protectant grease, the Mahinda appears not to have any sort protectant applied, simply bare metal. Over the years of working on various vehicles and equipment you have expectations of what may need tending to and when. A tractor a year old I would not expect to have a problem with a battery connector if properly installed at the factory with a protectant coating such as was on my car, thus I normally wouldn't look at this. For what ever reason I did look under the red boot cover and noticed the corrosion and that's what prompted me to start this thread, as I didn't think most folks would check this on a fairly new tractor.

I agree 100%. Couple weeks ago my 3616 wouldn't start. Just over a year old and 99 hours on it. Battery terminal was corroded completely apart. Not to mention that it was so thin even if it was brand new I could bite it apart and I barely have any teeth. Crap parts, not properly installed from factory equals customers fixing the slack at home. I too have worked on automobiles for years and assumed the battery was good for a long while.

/ Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion #46  
Man up, go get you can can of battery terminal spray... clean and spray your existing terminals. Spray the top terminals of each and every vehicle you get in the future, soon as you get it.... Then you won't have anything more to be atch about........ :)

/ Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion #47  
Here is a can of battery terminal wax spray I bought in the 70's for $3.99 ... Can is still probably over half full, and so old I had to tape the lable back on years ago. And pictures of two batteries that were sprayed right after the 9/11 attacks when the truck I ordered came in and I got it home from the dealer. Still the original batteries. And, the battery in my 5035 I sprayed over a year ago, again, as soon as it was delivered. Not harping here, but you can and should take care of stuff like this on your own...

View attachment 290635View attachment 290636View attachment 290637View attachment 290638View attachment 290639

/ Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion #48  
be atch:confused:
god I felt slow after I looked at that a second time:laughing:

/ Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion #49  
I use the gooey red felt washers under the clamps. I tried the gooey red spray stuff but its too messy. End up sticking your fore arm in it sooner or later.

Jerry, I also have a Dodge Ram. Do yourself a favor and pull and treat the ends of those battery hold down bolts threads with some anti-seize.

/ Mahindra Battery Terminal Corrosion #50  
If anyone here watches American Restoration on the History channel, you saw the latest tip on preventing battery corrosion - hairspray on the terminals.