5010 at 36.5hrs and pretty darn happy

/ 5010 at 36.5hrs and pretty darn happy #1  

emcvay

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5010 w/FEL
Just thought I would post this for all those interested.

After delivering the Mahindra 5010 to our property and doing a little mowing with it (and breaking the sheer pin and replacement bolt each -- once from a brain fart and once from a sapling) I left the tractor at the property and eagerly awaited my return.

Ten days later I was back and this time for TEN DAYS! :D

First order of business was to mow some more -- I mowed until the sky opened up and convinced me it might be better to read in the cabin!

The next couple of days I did some fishing and didn't get on the tractor but the 3rd day I began using it to dig a hole -- with the FEL. I managed to get down 2-3 feet without breaking anything *snicker* but did bend up the bucket a little I think! Some of those rocks were monstrous and I was pretty aggressive in trying to convince them to move...no worries, it's not bent up too badly and I suspect it's just getting broke in anyway ;)

I did some ground work and backfilled most of the hole and then mowed my way through a few more sheer pins (dang trees!) but all in all am getting it I think ;)

Things I've learned:

1. SLOW DOWN IDIOT! lol -- yes I have to remind myself that mowing bushes, grass and small trees is best done at slow speed.
2. SLOW DOWN IDIOT -- yes I'm dense I think but I've learned that 'low and slow' might be a good motto if you don't want to keep replacing the dang sheer pins when mowing in the woods.
3. Low branches suck -- mostly I lift the bucket and knock them off but sometimes I get carried away and run into them anyway....and occasionally lose my hat in the process (though I've managed to go back and get it too).
4. Low diesel consumption means more fun for me :D I seem to run most of the day (if not all day) on 5 gallons and think I've done 10 hours on 5 gallons if not more.
5. Get a flexible grease gun hose (couldn't reach the top PTO shaft zirk with my fixed gun).

Things I wonder:
1. If storing for two weeks do you do anything besides fill it up? What is considered storing long enough to latch the clutch arm?
2. Where's the dang tool box! -- ok the 5010 seems like a great tractor but I don't have a tool box or anywhere to store tools on it that I've found...which is a pain in the arse since I break sheer pins too often and in order to replace them need a wrench, a punch and of course more bolts. I also don't have a cup holder which frankly, would be nice. (maybe time to mod something up).

All in all, though, I have to say I love the tractor and can't wait to get back and do some more mowing!
[video]http://s998.photobucket.com/albums/af102/emcvay/Cabin/?action=view&current=Tractormowing_0001.mp4[/video]
Here's a video of me mowing -- and ya, I'm loving it ;) and so too are the grandsons!

/ 5010 at 36.5hrs and pretty darn happy #2  
Standing up like you are while mowing is a great way to kill yourself. Same goes for not using your seat belt.

/ 5010 at 36.5hrs and pretty darn happy #3  
Glad you and your tractor are getting to know each other!:thumbsup: I really enjoy my 5010 good luck.

/ 5010 at 36.5hrs and pretty darn happy
Standing up like you are while mowing is a great way to kill yourself. Same goes for not using your seat belt.

Hmmm.....was wondering what comments I'd get over that. When I can't quite see what's coming I've been standing up to try to see.

So rather then make excuses I'd be interested in what others do when trying to mow previously unmowed property riddled with rocks, chunks of wood, stumps and the like.

Or do you just replace the sheer pin every ten minutes?

Not meaning to be flippant but what does one do? Most of the time I'm sitting, by the way, but I found it hard to see in front of the tractor with the bucket down -- and was told lifting the bucket to see just raises the center of gravity and makes it more dangerous -- so I was standing at various points to get a better look.

Perhaps this is a bad practice that I'll have to stop.

Glad you and your tractor are getting to know each other!:thumbsup: I really enjoy my 5010 good luck.

Thanks :) I have really enjoyed using it and have much to learn of course -- but will admit that it's like riding a bike (to use an old cliche) and I took to the controls quickly :) Everything just seemed to fit and work with me. I've driven forklifts and front end loaders in the past enough to have gotten decent (not good but decent enough to do what I need) at using them but i had been since the early 90's! So I was happy to be quickly working this tractor.

Biggest issue I find at the moment is seeing what's in front of me when mowing (see earlier post) and working around saplings too big to mow down.

/ 5010 at 36.5hrs and pretty darn happy #6  
Hmmm.....was wondering what comments I'd get over that. When I can't quite see what's coming I've been standing up to try to see.

So rather then make excuses I'd be interested in what others do when trying to mow previously unmowed property riddled with rocks, chunks of wood, stumps and the like.

Or do you just replace the sheer pin every ten minutes?

Not meaning to be flippant but what does one do? Most of the time I'm sitting, by the way, but I found it hard to see in front of the tractor with the bucket down -- and was told lifting the bucket to see just raises the center of gravity and makes it more dangerous -- so I was standing at various points to get a better look.

Perhaps this is a bad practice that I'll have to stop.

You can do several things: Raising the bucket just enough to see, and going slower the first time around is a good idea. If the bucket were full of heavy materials, in a non-brush cutting operation, you would definitely want to keep it low. However, for mowing, a highly raised bucket isn't dangerous unless there are overhead wires, etc.. If it is practical, you should walk the property, looking for problems: high stumps, steel fence posts which were previously run over, and are still sticking up, buried under brush, bed springs, car parts; who knows? What is the nature of your land? Are you the first owner? If so, and it has never been occupied, or used as a dumping ground, all the better.

Slow and steady goes far in a day, but haste makes waste. Happy tractor operating to you.

Bob

You can do several things: Raising the bucket just enough to see, and going slower the first time around is a good idea. If the bucket were full of heavy materials, in a non-brush cutting operation, you would definitely want to keep it low. However, for mowing, a highly raised bucket isn't dangerous unless there are overhead wires, etc.. If it is practical, you should walk the property, looking for problems: high stumps, steel fence posts which were previously run over, and are still sticking up, buried under brush, bed springs, car parts; who knows? What is the nature of your land? Are you the first owner? If so, and it has never been occupied, or used as a dumping ground, all the better.

Slow and steady goes far in a day, but haste makes waste. Happy tractor operating to you.

Bob

Thanks for the post Bob, I appreciate it.

The property is fairly unmolested having been logged perhaps 60 years ago (or more) and used for range animals (at least free range but it was fenced at some point in the past 20+ years).

The only thing I've found on it, strangely enough, is an old TV antenna in a place no building ever was. My guess is that it was dragged there by someone or more likely, something but who knows.

There is a lot of rock but I have the mower up fairly high (as high as I can get it and be level) and so I've only actually hit one -- the tip of a huge one I suspect). I try to drive around them (hence the standing up to see them which I'll stop now).

/ 5010 at 36.5hrs and pretty darn happy #8  
emcvay said:
I try to drive around them (hence the standing up to see them which I'll stop now).

Listen, here's the deal, keep the bucket low to protect the front end from the monster rocks you have. Go slow first time around and if you feel the need to stand at times just be careful about. Try to slow down when you need to stand. Bottom line is it is your machine/property, just stay within your comfort zone and you will be fine. Remember there are those that would have us in a racing harness and roll cage if they could. Most of all go enjoy that machine!

/ 5010 at 36.5hrs and pretty darn happy #9  
Thanks :) I have really enjoyed using it and have much to learn of course -- but will admit that it's like riding a bike (to use an old cliche) and I took to the controls quickly :) Everything just seemed to fit and work with me. I've driven forklifts and front end loaders in the past enough to have gotten decent (not good but decent enough to do what I need) at using them but i had been since the early 90's! So I was happy to be quickly working this tractor.

Biggest issue I find at the moment is seeing what's in front of me when mowing (see earlier post) and working around saplings too big to mow down.

I know what you mean about seeing what is coming, I just have my FEL up not high just up enough for me to get a look ahead. My problem is rocksrocksrocks hang in there and have fun.:D

/ 5010 at 36.5hrs and pretty darn happy #10  
emcvay,

Is your dealer in Benton City?

idaho2