3-Point Hitch Bush hog lift height

/ Bush hog lift height #1  

swamp

Tractor
Mahindra 5530, Ford 3000
My new 5530 only lifts my 5' mower about18 inches off the ground. Is this normal for a mahindra? I have only owned an old Ford 3000 previously and would lift the same mower much higher

/ Bush hog lift height #2  
Is your position control lever on your tractor set correctly? Also do you have the lifter arm in back in the right position?

/ Bush hog lift height
Blue_Sky said:
Is your position control lever on your tractor set correctly? Also do you have the lifter arm in back in the right position?

As far as I know the pcl is correct. I dont understand the question about the lifter arm.

/ Bush hog lift height #4  
Some tractors have adjustable linkage where they attach to the lower lift arms from the upper arms so you can adjust about 2" or so up or down. Check yours and see if you are in the top most hole (if more than one hole). Other than that, check the top link. If it is showing a lot of thread, then it can be shortened and give more lift to the tail of the bushhog.

/ Bush hog lift height
Gary Fowler said:
Some tractors have adjustable linkage where they attach to the lower lift arms from the upper arms so you can adjust about 2" or so up or down. Check yours and see if you are in the top most hole (if more than one hole). Other than that, check the top link. If it is showing a lot of thread, then it can be shortened and give more lift to the tail of the bushhog.

Had not thought about the top link. The 5530 is a cat2 and the bush hog is a cat1 I am using bushings on the lift pins. The top link is a cat2 and no threads are visible. Might have to by a long cat1 top link so I have some adjustment. Thanks everyone!

/ Bush hog lift height #6  
On Kubotas there are two 3/4" pins available for attaching the top link at the tractor, one pin above the other.

The upper pin is for "normal" raising of most implements. However, top link on upper pin will only raise my King Kutter 48" rotary mower 10" measured at rear of deck. (Because of floating link where top link attaches to mower.)

Lower link will allow top link to raise implements considerably higher.

I must attach top link at the lower pin to raise my King Kutter 48" rotary mower 24"-30", measured at rear of mower deck.

Last edited:
   / Bush hog lift height
jeff9366 said:
On Kubotas there are two 3/4" pins available for attaching the top link at the tractor, one pin above the other.

The upper pin is for "normal" raising of most implements. However, top link on upper pin will only raise my King Kutter 48" rotary mower 10" measured at rear of deck. (Because of floating link where top link attaches to mower.)

Lower link will allow top link to raise implements considerably higher.

I must attach top link at the lower pin to raise my King Kutter 48" rotary mower 24"-30", measured at rear of mower deck.

This only has one pin position. My problem is that when mowing I often have to run across swales filled with water. The swale is not too deep but when the front tires start up the other side it tends to dip the blades into the water. This was no problem with the old Ford because it would lift the bush hog so high.

By the way, I too have a King Kutter (6 years old). I can't find a drain for the gear box. Any insight on that?

/ Bush hog lift height #8  
RE: Drain (plug?) for the gear box.

King Kutter has part diagrams for most of their implements on line. They do not show the drain plug alone, just entire gear box assembly.

However, if you call the factory in Alabama chances are KK will send you a plug.

http://kingkutter.com/store-parts.aspx?id7009

RE: Lift Height:

Is there a second, lower position for the top link pin ON THE MOWER?

Perhaps your flexible link is connected incorrectly. It is time to post some pictures illustrating the problem.

/ Bush hog lift height
jeff9366 said:
RE: Drain (plug?) for the gear box.

King Kutter has part diagrams for most of their implements on line. They do not show the drain plug alone, just entire gear box assembly.

However, if you call the factory in Alabama chances are KK will send you a plug.

http://kingkutter.com/store-parts.aspx?id7009

RE: Lift Height:

Is there a second, lower position for the top link pin ON THE MOWER?

Perhaps your flexible link is connected incorrectly. It is time to post some pictures illustrating the problem.

I will take pics tomorrow and post them if I can figure out how. As far as the drain plug, I not trying find a replacement I'm trying to figure out how to drain the gear box. I checked the parts diagram also and it doesn't show one. I hope you don't have to split the case just to drain the oil.

/ Bush hog lift height #10  
If you call King Kutter I am sure they will give you instructions on how to drain the gearbox.

Personally, I just add 90 weight gear oil when it is low....like once a year.

There is no internal combustion on a mower, unlike a car engine; gear oil seems to lubricate forever.

Someone may contradict me immediately but I have never heard of a rotary mower owner actually CHANGING the oil.