Transfer Tank

/ Transfer Tank #11  
I'm currently building a trailer which will have a small fuel tank and some extras on it. I will post some picture when I get finished.

/ Transfer Tank
I'm currently building a trailer which will have a small fuel tank and some extras on it. I will post some picture when I get finished.

Lookin forward to seeing that.

/ Transfer Tank
I wouldn't be so inclined to test with water. No matter what, there will still be some residual moisture.

To test with air, all you need is a simple psi gauge that will read 1psi increments. you only need maybe 5 psi at most, lock it off and let it sit and watch. If it holds short term, let it sit an hour and check again.

If you get any pressure loss, refill to 5 psi - get out the soap solution and start-a-sprayin'.

Much less expensive to discover this way than chasing drips......

Your right bout chasing the drips vs. spray bottle, but to late. I took it to car wash cleaned out the inside the best I could and a bit on the outside and got back home and filled it up with water with a bit of bleach for a just in case and now we wait. Inside actually cleaned up really nice.

/ Transfer Tank #14  
was just a thought.....

even if there are drips- usually can be fixed easy enough. Looking forward to seeing this project progress-

/ Transfer Tank #15  
I just made a post showing a fellow what I made last summer. I used the same Northern pump and water blocking filter..Total cost less than $200. I did have corrosion under the saddle straps from road salt and I cleaned that up prior to mounting it. I used an external fuel sealing compound to paint over the aluminum where I removed the corrosion. That isolates the steel bands from the aluminum and stops dissimilar corrosion. Easy to transport to off road fuel station.

Attachments

• refer tank.jpg
    refer tank.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 233
   / Transfer Tank
I just made a post showing a fellow what I made last summer. I used the same Northern pump and water blocking filter..Total cost less than $200. I did have corrosion under the saddle straps from road salt and I cleaned that up prior to mounting it. I used an external fuel sealing compound to paint over the aluminum where I removed the corrosion. That isolates the steel bands from the aluminum and stops dissimilar corrosion. Easy to transport to off road fuel station.

NICE!! Where did you tap into it at? Other words where does your supply line come out of tank and do you have a picture?

I actually wanted a refer tank, but the truck salvage yard decided I didnt when they told me they had an aluminum and when I got there it was steel. I went searching in their stuff and found the one I got. The one I looked at was like yours. Brackets, straps, fuel gauge, etc. I didnt want steel and they said that was the only refer tank. I almost walked and I said how much for that one? Guy called front desk and I went from a $150 steel 50gal refer to $100 aluminum 46gal truck tank which I believe it is off a Volvo.

I got some work done on mine. I need to get the photos up. I think I'll be $450+/- by time I'm done, but I think it is worth it and I will have a small storage area on my skid.

Last edited:
   / Transfer Tank #17  
I had a PEX NP fitting that screwed into the fuel suction tube at the top of the tank. I'll look to see if I have any better pics on this computer and post them if I do. That top tank fitting has a stand pipe under it that goes to the bottom of the tank. I worried that there would be too much of a restriction seeing that the i.d. of that tube was 1/2", but it throws out the fuel. That Northern tool pump is awesome. I want to make another for gas, but that pump isn't rated for it.

/ Transfer Tank #18  
This is the best I have here. If you need more I can grab some this weekend. The Pex fitting was for 3/4' pex and I believe it was a 1/2' np and threaded right in. Mated right up to the supplied fuel line. The vent is right next to the suction outlet.

Attachments

• tank 6.jpg
    tank 6.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 180
  • top of tank.jpg
    top of tank.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 224
   / Transfer Tank
Thanx!!!! I was wondering if the pick up would work or if it would be restricted. THANX!!! You saved me some time, money, and work! My tank has a sending unit also. I might even try to find a fuel gauge for it just cause I can....lol. I am gonna tap the plug on the bottom or one of the ones on the sides and add a valve so I can drain if needed. How is the right side of the outlet mounted? I can see a balck piece of steel going up toward the outlet line of the filter, but cant tell whats going on there. Maybe if you get time a pic there would work. Thanx again.

Picked up a particle/water filter today with mounting base at TSC. I believe it is a CIM TEK brand. Only thing is I didnt see any replacement filters that was both water and particle besides the one that comes with the base. I only need one base, but this seems to be the only way they sell the dual purpose filter. They have plenty of water or particle, but one that does both of any brand, any where is impossible to find. Oh well this will work for now.

I do believe besides a few minor parts, materials, and time I will be done in next couple weeks. I seem to only get a few hours on the weekend to work on things. I will try to get up some photos up before this week is over of how far along I am.

/ Transfer Tank #20  
Picked up a particle/water filter today with mounting base at TSC. I believe it is a CIM TEK brand. Only thing is I didnt see any replacement filters that was both water and particle besides the one that comes with the base. I only need one base, but this seems to be the only way they sell the dual purpose filter. They have plenty of water or particle, but one that does both of any brand, any where is impossible to find. Oh well this will work for now.
TSC normally stocks the water/particle filter. I bought an extra when I got the base for my set up.