Transfer Tank

/ Transfer Tank #21  
I am gonna tap the plug on the bottom or one of the ones on the sides and add a valve so I can drain if needed. How is the right side of the outlet mounted? I can see a balck piece of steel going up toward the outlet line of the filter, but cant tell whats going on there. Maybe if you get time a pic there would work.

Mine has a sump drain plug there already. That piece of steel is just spot welded to support that end of the filter. It is NOT attached but the filter outlet fitting is just resting on the top of it. Its really not needed, just overkill on my part. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't put it back. The 3/4" nipples torqued together don't budge one bit. I did add extra rubber bushings under the pump housing (sheet metal base) to provide a good sturdy mount.

/ Transfer Tank #22  
I just made a post showing a fellow what I made last summer. I used the same Northern pump and water blocking filter..Total cost less than $200. I did have corrosion under the saddle straps from road salt and I cleaned that up prior to mounting it. I used an external fuel sealing compound to paint over the aluminum where I removed the corrosion. That isolates the steel bands from the aluminum and stops dissimilar corrosion. Easy to transport to off road fuel station.

hbarski,

Does the pump just cavitate when it is on and you are not depressing the nozzle to dispense fluid? If so is that a problem? Also how do you get makeup air in the tank when dispensing fluid?

/ Transfer Tank #23  
The pump has an internal bypass that kicks in when it builds up back pressure. The tank had a sintered breather vent next to the outlet fitting. Just thought I would add that it pumps at least 10 gpm. A lot faster than the gas station pumps. Doesn't cavitate or create any type of vacuum in the tank. I'm really impressed with that northern tool pump.

Last edited:
   / Transfer Tank
The pump has an internal bypass that kicks in when it builds up back pressure. The tank had a sintered breather vent next to the outlet fitting. Just thought I would add that it pumps at least 10 gpm. A lot faster than the gas station pumps. Doesn't cavitate or create any type of vacuum in the tank. I'm really impressed with that northern tool pump.

You may have mentioned already,but I do not remember, how long have you been using the pump? Mine is HF not Northern, but still same smell. Most I talk to have had it for a good while and like you are happy with its performance.

/ Transfer Tank #25  
About a year and use it monthly. Same unit built in china. Like anything chinese made, quality control is lacking, but with a little tweaking and polishing, it does the job. I thought about a hand pump and considered several, but for the money I just couldn't see hand pumping when this was available and I always have batteries around.

/ Transfer Tank
About a year and use it monthly. Same unit built in china. Like anything chinese made, quality control is lacking, but with a little tweaking and polishing, it does the job. I thought about a hand pump and considered several, but for the money I just couldn't see hand pumping when this was available and I always have batteries around.

Well this is true.

What did you use to glue the pipes together?

/ Transfer Tank #27  
Yellow plumbers dope #5.

/ Transfer Tank #29  
I would have purchased a normal pickup tank. I used to carry a 110 gal "L" tank with a toolbox on top. Great combo and you don't have to run to the pumps all the time to get re-filled.