Transfer Tank

/ Transfer Tank #1  

ToolBoxTavern

Silver Member
Tractor
4wd 4025 Mahindra
Well I got the new 4wd 4025 and now I need a way to keep it topped off.

I bought this aluminum 46gal fuel tank from the salvage yard and a harbor freight 12 volt pump with nozzle so we are on our way to gettin even more done.

Any thoughts or suggestions before I get started?

Attachments

• 2012-09-01 16.42.44.jpg
    2012-09-01 16.42.44.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 337
  • 2012-09-01 09.19.00.jpg
    2012-09-01 09.19.00.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 250
   / Transfer Tank #2  
I recently set up a few barrels for fuel storage and I used the HF fuel pump. Seems to do a good job. I also added a water blocking fuel filter that I picked up at tractor supply for about $30.

/ Transfer Tank #3  
Toolbox, I just was thinking about doing the same thing with a military truck tank. What is your plan? Keep the pictures coming

/ Transfer Tank
I recently set up a few barrels for fuel storage and I used the HF fuel pump. Seems to do a good job. I also added a water blocking fuel filter that I picked up at tractor supply for about $30.

I was gonna do the barrel thing also, but changed my mind. In fact I even bought the barrels. I have them sitting there looking at me going now what? Good to know bout the pump. I also plan on putting a filter and really considering a particle/water filter. Kind of a 2 n 1 thing.

/ Transfer Tank
Toolbox, I just was thinking about doing the same thing with a military truck tank. What is your plan? Keep the pictures coming

Sweet. I will. Dont know how much I'll get done, but I'll put up pics if I do get to work on it this weekend. I also got some 2"x2"x3/16" angle iron pieces that are bout 2' - 3' long from the scrap yard for the frame and a piece of 2" wide by 1/8" thick I think flat that I am gonna use for straps along with bolts.

/ Transfer Tank
Did it come tested? If not, any way you can put air pressure in it to check for leaks?

Nope, but I guess I can get some plugs and fittings together hook up a little air to it and see what happens. Be a good way to check for leaks, but I wouldnt put it under a lot of pressure because it is not made for that. It doesnt have any dents in it and I am assuming it wasnt there long with that salvage yard. They turn parts pretty fast. It would suck to fill it up with fuel and it all come out. I guess I could even fill it up with water just to see if it comes out. It has 1plug dead center on bottom, 1 on each side on bottom, 1 cut off hose on top side that was return line, 1 cut off hose on very top that has the pick up tube on it, then the hole where the sending unit is, and finally the filler neck. SO I have all kind of options to tap in it and check for leaks.

/ Transfer Tank #8  
ToolBoxTavern said:
Nope, but I guess I can get some plugs and fittings together hook up a little air to it and see what happens. Be a good way to check for leaks, but I wouldnt put it under a lot of pressure because it is not made for that. It doesnt have any dents in it and I am assuming it wasnt there long with that salvage yard. They turn parts pretty fast. It would suck to fill it up with fuel and it all come out. I guess I could even fill it up with water just to see if it comes out. It has 1plug dead center on bottom, 1 on each side on bottom, 1 cut off hose on top side that was return line, 1 cut off hose on very top that has the pick up tube on it, then the hole where the sending unit is, and finally the filler neck. SO I have all kind of options to tap in it and check for leaks.

Water is heavier than fuel, so if it holds the water, it should hold the fuel, I think.

Last edited:
   / Transfer Tank #10  
I wouldn't be so inclined to test with water. No matter what, there will still be some residual moisture.

To test with air, all you need is a simple psi gauge that will read 1psi increments. you only need maybe 5 psi at most, lock it off and let it sit and watch. If it holds short term, let it sit an hour and check again.

If you get any pressure loss, refill to 5 psi - get out the soap solution and start-a-sprayin'.

Much less expensive to discover this way than chasing drips......