Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    4wd 4025 Mahindra

Default Transfer Tank

Well I got the new 4wd 4025 and now I need a way to keep it topped off.

I bought this aluminum 46gal fuel tank from the salvage yard and a harbor freight 12 volt pump with nozzle so we are on our way to gettin even more done.

Any thoughts or suggestions before I get started?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2012-09-01-16-42-a   -2012-09-01-09-19-a  

Tractor
    Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm

Default Re: Transfer Tank

I recently set up a few barrels for fuel storage and I used the HF fuel pump. Seems to do a good job. I also added a water blocking fuel filter that I picked up at tractor supply for about $30.
    Randall

1Timothy Chapter 2:
    3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
    4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Tractor
    John Deere 3520, John Deere X749

Toolbox, I just was thinking about doing the same thing with a military truck tank. What is your plan? Keep the pictures coming

Tractor
    4wd 4025 Mahindra

Quote Originally Posted by dex3361 View Post
    I recently set up a few barrels for fuel storage and I used the HF fuel pump. Seems to do a good job. I also added a water blocking fuel filter that I picked up at tractor supply for about $30.
    I was gonna do the barrel thing also, but changed my mind. In fact I even bought the barrels. I have them sitting there looking at me going now what? Good to know bout the pump. I also plan on putting a filter and really considering a particle/water filter. Kind of a 2 n 1 thing.

Tractor
    4wd 4025 Mahindra

Quote Originally Posted by bubbacuse77 View Post
    Toolbox, I just was thinking about doing the same thing with a military truck tank. What is your plan? Keep the pictures coming
    Sweet. I will. Dont know how much I'll get done, but I'll put up pics if I do get to work on it this weekend. I also got some 2"x2"x3/16" angle iron pieces that are bout 2' - 3' long from the scrap yard for the frame and a piece of 2" wide by 1/8" thick I think flat that I am gonna use for straps along with bolts.

Tractor
    Kubota 7510, Toro Groundsmaster 217D

Did it come tested? If not, any way you can put air pressure in it to check for leaks?
    I thank God everyday for all of the blessings he has given me- especially for the one's I do not recognize or see!

Tractor
    4wd 4025 Mahindra

Quote Originally Posted by CBW1999 View Post
    Did it come tested? If not, any way you can put air pressure in it to check for leaks?
    Nope, but I guess I can get some plugs and fittings together hook up a little air to it and see what happens. Be a good way to check for leaks, but I wouldnt put it under a lot of pressure because it is not made for that. It doesnt have any dents in it and I am assuming it wasnt there long with that salvage yard. They turn parts pretty fast. It would suck to fill it up with fuel and it all come out. I guess I could even fill it up with water just to see if it comes out. It has 1plug dead center on bottom, 1 on each side on bottom, 1 cut off hose on top side that was return line, 1 cut off hose on very top that has the pick up tube on it, then the hole where the sending unit is, and finally the filler neck. SO I have all kind of options to tap in it and check for leaks.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra Max28XL HST

Quote Originally Posted by ToolBoxTavern

Nope, but I guess I can get some plugs and fittings together hook up a little air to it and see what happens. Be a good way to check for leaks, but I wouldnt put it under a lot of pressure because it is not made for that. It doesnt have any dents in it and I am assuming it wasnt there long with that salvage yard. They turn parts pretty fast. It would suck to fill it up with fuel and it all come out. I guess I could even fill it up with water just to see if it comes out. It has 1plug dead center on bottom, 1 on each side on bottom, 1 cut off hose on top side that was return line, 1 cut off hose on very top that has the pick up tube on it, then the hole where the sending unit is, and finally the filler neck. SO I have all kind of options to tap in it and check for leaks.
    Water is heavier than fuel, so if it holds the water, it should hold the fuel, I think.
    Last edited by madmax12; 09-07-2012 at 01:54 PM.
    http://www.ohr.edu/838
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9BfhxL_JTI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8UEVoSJmfs

“If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” Ancient of Days

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37aM75LaEDk&list=PLGLwt3_lSbxxRtjMLHJDpqEK 9vcq9IfsJ

t

Tractor
    4wd 4025 Mahindra

Quote Originally Posted by madmax12 View Post
    Water is heavier than fuel, so if it hoods the water, it should hold the fuel, I think.
    Great answer!!

Tractor
    Kubota 7510, Toro Groundsmaster 217D

I wouldn't be so inclined to test with water. No matter what, there will still be some residual moisture.

To test with air, all you need is a simple psi gauge that will read 1psi increments. you only need maybe 5 psi at most, lock it off and let it sit and watch. If it holds short term, let it sit an hour and check again.

If you get any pressure loss, refill to 5 psi - get out the soap solution and start-a-sprayin'.

Much less expensive to discover this way than chasing drips......
    I thank God everyday for all of the blessings he has given me- especially for the one's I do not recognize or see!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast