3510 engine repair

/ 3510 engine repair #11  
Remove front shaft for front end(thanks skipmarcy for the help) removed oil pan and rod caps. Bearings were in excellent condition for connecting rods.last night 9/21 after work, removed intake & exhaust manifolds and valve cover. Today I removed cylinder head and found part of the problem. Exhaust valve seat on #2 cylinder had come loose and destroted itself between the head and piston. Going to take head to machine shop to see if it's cracked and can be repaired but will need another piston. Hoping head can be repaired because they are quite expensive. Still trying to get camera to take pic's.

Since you had a mechanical interference between the piston & head you need to have that rod checked very carefully for straightness, especially important in a diesel engine. If it were mine I think I would go ahead and replace the piston & rod as an assembly instead of just a piston. Just a slight kink in a rod on a diesel throws the compression off not to mention it being a weak link too. Good luck with the head, maybe it can be repaired without great cost. My engine has been a good one, just clicked over 2255 hours today and doesn't use a single drop of oil between changes. I do have a fuel leak starting around the throttle shaft in the injector pump but so far not serious.

/ 3510 engine repair
Cylinder head is now a large doorstop, could not be repaired. Called Mahindra about a new cylinder head,
a bare head will be almost $1800. I ck'd online at a cub cadet parts site and theirs was $1200. I wonder why so much difference in pricing, all of the cadet prices were lower.I'm wondering if I need to order their
head gasket and compare it to mine before I order the cylinder head. What difference could there be ?
They both show to be a 3A165 model engine from dae dong.Does anyone know where you may possibly get a used cylinder head for a 3A165 dae dong engine? Not trying to be cheap,just trying to keep cost of repair as inexpensive as possible.

/ 3510 engine repair #13  
Ouch sorry to here about your head.

I think these tractors are sold as a korean unit as well or perhaps you might find another engine or parts on ebay.

/ 3510 engine repair #14  
Cylinder head is now a large doorstop, could not be repaired. Called Mahindra about a new cylinder head,
a bare head will be almost $1800. I ck'd online at a cub cadet parts site and theirs was $1200. I wonder why so much difference in pricing, all of the cadet prices were lower.I'm wondering if I need to order their
head gasket and compare it to mine before I order the cylinder head. What difference could there be ?
They both show to be a 3A165 model engine from dae dong.Does anyone know where you may possibly get a used cylinder head for a 3A165 dae dong engine? Not trying to be cheap,just trying to keep cost of repair as inexpensive as possible.

/ 3510 engine repair #15  
With a little modification you can get a head from a kubota D1703, to use on the 3A165 Montana and others. The surface side of the head is the same, but they have changed the rocker arm mounting holes to a smaller size. Also you will need to get another valve cover. Some modifications there to install the oil filler hole. But the head gasket is exactly the same with one exception. The guide around the rear head bolt is larger on the older engine. Thus enlarge that one bolt hole and the gasket hole at that point.. The difference in a $3500.00 head and a $400.00 head made the small modifications well worth while. I ordered mine from a head shop in Henderson, Nevada.. look it up if you are interested. I have a list of modifications I have done and how to do them, if anyone is interested in saving some money.. The prices from the dealers are unbelievable. I hope this helps someone... Much research went into this and I am willing to help anyone with the same problem. My problem.. like the first here was the engine swallowed the middle pistons exhaust valve SEAT...This 3A165 engine is used by kioti, mahandra, kubota, bobcat... and others.

/ 3510 engine repair #16  
With a little modification you can get a head from a kubota D1703, to use on the 3A165
How did you find out that the heads were similar enough to make the swap?

Have any pix of the mods you made?

As you said, the DaeDong 3A165 engine was used on many models of tractor. Finding one at a tractor recycler in the US should be possible.