mahindra 4110 overheats

/ mahindra 4110 overheats #1  

lowrider

Tractor
mahindra 4110
My mahindra 4110 overheats after 30 minutes of brushhogging. I have cleaned radiator and screens and have cleaned out both air filters all fluids are good. It still overheats quite quickly even on cool days. ( Temps in the 75 F range) . Has anybody looked into the poor placement of the airfilter/intake location as a contributing factor in the overheating problem. I am thinking about relocating the air intake/filter. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

/ mahindra 4110 overheats #2  
I'm not familiar with the 4110. Does it have removable side panels? If so, I don't believe it would hurt to take them off.

/ mahindra 4110 overheats #3  
In the beginning I had the same problems brushogging, solved it a piece at a time, I put an extra screen to help protect the original screen, it got better, then from this forum I took the advice of cleaning the fins, and not just in appearence, but cleaning the fins until the water flushed clear, it got better, so much better that I do this twice a year before I cut my fields, whether I have problems or not. IT IS PART OF MY ROUTINE MAINTENANCE. Removing the side panels on a hot day 90+ also helps, In tall grass I cut with my bucket on and lowered so in knocks down the grass and seed BEFORE it gets to the hood. Together these things work for me. I cut (brush hog) 25 acres of horse pasture at least TWICE a year, I cut (brush hog) 50 acres of my neighbors fields at least ONCE a year, now that is just a small part of of what I use my 4110, despite all that grass work, I have not come close to the "RED" mark on my tractor this year.
P.S. I think there is a kit from the dealer that lowers the battery to help air flow to the radiator.

Last edited:
   / mahindra 4110 overheats #4  
I have a 4510 and had the same problem. Here is what I had to do. Moved the battery lower so it did not block as much of the radiator. I removed the windshield washer reservoir so there was less blockage to the radiator so there was more air flow. I also added an aftermarket electric fan to assist. When the condenser unit was removed to do this a large amount of chaft and debris was between that and the radiator even though it had been blown out numerous times. The fins are just so small that they trap dirt easily and it is a constant battle to keep/blow out the dirt.
In my opinion it is a poor design/set up but that is what I had to do.
I also put a furnace filter in front to trap as much as I can before it gets to the radiator. I have not yet added Royal Purple coolant additive or Water Wetter but that may yet be done. It runs cool enough now but what a pain all around.

/ mahindra 4110 overheats #5  
Lowrider, My advice is to take the side panels off and take the 4 or so bolts out that hold the air cleaner on and move it aside. Take a light and put in behind the radiator and look through it from the front. You may be surprised at how stopped up the radiator is. A clean radiator will fix 9 out of 10 overheating issues.
Dave

/ mahindra 4110 overheats #6  
This thread is a year and a half old but relevant to the 4110 I am using. I have used compressed air to clean the radiator fins. Thought that the air cleaner was in an odd place. My son was running the 4110 and tried raising the hood. Ran for an hour and a half on a cool day without getting to the red. Tractor must be very sensitive to air flow as when he ran it into the wind it would cool down. Removing the side panels is very doable. On the same day I ran a B7510 pulling a 5 foot mower. No heat issues. Ran a B3200 with a 5 foot mower. No heat issues. The 4110 is a TYM tractor. Seems to be poor design or not enough water pump. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

/ mahindra 4110 overheats #7  
I had one in the shop once that was so plugged that I had to remove the radiator and clean it with a pressure washer. If I were you, I would invest in a radiator genie, and try to do a good cleaning with it.

/ mahindra 4110 overheats #8  
Nearly always this is a clogged radiator on the air side. See if you can shine a flashlight from the back side and see through every inch of the radiator. The 4110 used a pretty fine core, which is just perfect to collect certain types of fluff from mowing. As Galen said, clean it really well and see what it does. Unless you have blown a head gasket or cracked a head already, I bet it runs cool.

/ mahindra 4110 overheats #9  
I had one in the shop once that was so plugged that I had to remove the radiator and clean it with a pressure washer. If I were you, I would invest in a radiator genie, and try to do a good cleaning with it.

I have the radiator genie. It works best if you blow the chafe from the engine side to the front of the tractor, while using the air wand. Get out as much as you can before using the water wand. If you don't, the remaining debris tends to rehydrate, get sticky, and very hard to clean out.

/ mahindra 4110 overheats #10  
My 3910 did the same thing for years. Constantly having to blow the radiator out while mowing.

I bought the Mahindra kit to lower the Battery down and problem solved. Still have to keep the cooling fins clean but it does not run in the hot range any longer.