Independent PTO will not disengage with clutch pedal fully depressed. Why??

/ Independent PTO will not disengage with clutch pedal fully depressed. Why?? #1  

Papasmith

Bronze Member
Tractor
4500 Mahindra
I have a 4500 2 wheel drive that I recently got back from someone who I was selling it to with some land on time. It has 590 hours. I hooked it up to the bushhog and discovered that the PTO is not disengaging by way of the clutch pedal. That is, the PTO shaft keeps turning with the clutch pedal fully depressed. As you might guess, trying to engage the PTO by way of the PTO lever, after the tractor is started, can't be done. Hopefully this is nothing major. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave in NC

/ Independent PTO will not disengage with clutch pedal fully depressed. Why?? #2  
If it has a two stage clutch, either the clutch is excessively worn, or out of adjustment.

/ Independent PTO will not disengage with clutch pedal fully depressed. Why?? #3  
Another reason may be the clutch disc is stuck to the pressure plate. This can usually be freed up by driving it around. I've had this happen on a few tractors and a car that sat for a while. Moisture gets in and makes this disc stick to the plate.

/ Independent PTO will not disengage with clutch pedal fully depressed. Why?? #4  
he said INDEPENDENT PTO !!

/ Independent PTO will not disengage with clutch pedal fully depressed. Why?? #5  
He is mistaken as the 4500 2WD has a 2 stage clutch.

/ Independent PTO will not disengage with clutch pedal fully depressed. Why??
He is mistaken as the 4500 2WD has a 2 stage clutch.

Yeah, my mistake. It has a two stage clutch as opposed to an independent PTO. Got any idea Galen what the problem is?? If out of adjustment, any instructions available how to make the needed adjustments. The tractor drives fine but, the clutch engages closer to the top of the pedal travel than I remember. But, again, it runs fine. If it is the clutch, is 590 hours a little soon for a clutch replacement?

Thanks everybody for your help.
Dave in NC

/ Independent PTO will not disengage with clutch pedal fully depressed. Why?? #7  
Most tractor operator's manuals provide instruction on clutch pedal freeplay adjustment. I'd not think Mahindra manuals would be any different. RTFM.

/ Independent PTO will not disengage with clutch pedal fully depressed. Why?? #8  
Yeah, my mistake. It has a two stage clutch as opposed to an independent PTO. Got any idea Galen what the problem is?? If out of adjustment, any instructions available how to make the needed adjustments. The tractor drives fine but, the clutch engages closer to the top of the pedal travel than I remember. But, again, it runs fine. If it is the clutch, is 590 hours a little soon for a clutch replacement?

Thanks everybody for your help.
Dave in NC

The clutch adjustment on the linkage should be adjusted so you have about an inch of free pedal play. Any other adjustment would be done with the tractor split. I have only sold one of the 2WD 00 series in my 11 years as a dealer so I don't know, but does yours have a access door on the bottom of the bell housing? If there is, you should be able to see if you have a clutch disc that is siezed, which kind of makes sense that that could be your problem.

Most tractor operator's manuals provide instruction on clutch pedal freeplay adjustment. I'd not think Mahindra manuals would be any different. RTFM.
Yeah, the 4500 manual doesn't though. First thing I checked.

The clutch adjustment on the linkage should be adjusted so you have about an inch of free pedal play. Any other adjustment would be done with the tractor split. I have only sold one of the 2WD 00 series in my 11 years as a dealer so I don't know, but does yours have a access door on the bottom of the bell housing? If there is, you should be able to see if you have a clutch disc that is siezed, which kind of makes sense that that could be your problem.

Yes it does have an access door at the bottom. I had been thinking about opening that up and looking around. My experience with siezed clutches have been when the vehicle has been exposed to the weather. This one certainly has been because of a starter issue and the PTO portion certainly could be seized up. But, I am thinking that it is could be something messed up in that the last time this tractor was used, the bushhog locked up due to the person who was buying it from me negecting to keep a watch on the gear oil in the gearbox. PTO runs great though. No noise and it runs a bushhog if your willing to start it with the PTO on. In any event, thanks Galen. Are you still selling Mahindra? I might be scouting around for parts.