Gear shift stuck in 3rd

/ Gear shift stuck in 3rd #1  

Tlr2

Tractor
Mahindra
Have a new 3016 with 9 hours on it. Was using it this afternoon and about 1 hour into my task I went to shift from 2nd to 3rd. The gear selector stopped in between both gear and would not move. It seems to be in third gear but the location on the slot is in the middle and the gear selector will not move an inch.

Now before any suggest that I should not change gears while moving, I can assure you I have always come to complete stop before changing gears. The tractor was hard to select when I took delivery. Sales guy told me that all tractors are hard to shift when new and that they get easier with hours and where on them.

Now I am stuck in what appears to be 3rd gear and can not get out. Any suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else and is there an easy fix I can do myself or should I call the dealer up on Monday? I would hate to have to wait a until the dealer can get out to check as my project is half way done and I have a couple 4' pile of dirt that the wife will not be happy about seeing all week.

/ Gear shift stuck in 3rd #2  
Have you tried backing up to loosen the bind? I personlly would be on the phone to the dealer about this problem, If he doesn't help then call Mahindra.

/ Gear shift stuck in 3rd #3  
Does that tractor have shift linkage or does the shifter go straight inti the transmission?
The linkage could be jammed up or the shift forks could be messed up in the transmission.
Either way with a brand new machine I'd let it be the dealers problem.

/ Gear shift stuck in 3rd
Have you tried backing up to loosen the bind? I personlly would be on the phone to the dealer about this problem, If he doesn't help then call Mahindra.

Well, the really strange thing is that I can still drive the tractor forward and in reverse now problems. It appears to be in third gear. I was originally hoping that changing to reverse would loosen up myself but it just shifts from forward to reverse without any problems and does not free up the gear selected at all.

DT86, it has a shift linkage.

Another strange thing, the high low shifter is not binder up like the gear selector. However moving the it from high low does not seem to actually change me from high or low any more.

It an expansive machine so I guess I am not going to take any chances and I will call the dealer up.

Thanks

/ Gear shift stuck in 3rd #5  
30 second fix. Follow the shifter lever. It moves a couple of linkages in an "H" pattern. Pull those linkages back to neutral with a crescent wrench or pliers. Fixed. Shifting in an "X" pattern will sometimes do this. Although if you try to bind it up purposely, it's hard to do.

/ Gear shift stuck in 3rd #6  
Anyone that owned an old Chevy or Ford.. three speed on the column... knows what being stuck between shifts was.... :) You had to crawl underneath and put the transmission in neutral so it would correspond with what the column lever thought it was doing.... LOTS OF FUN..!!! Had a GM 5 speed diesel truck do it once..

/ Gear shift stuck in 3rd
Dave, thanks for the tip. That is exactly what was wrong. Very quick and easy fix in deed.

/ Gear shift stuck in 3rd #9  
Thanks as well I only have 150 hours on the best tractor (3016) I have owned. It is a great tractor for me but I am looking at stepping up to a larger Mahindra tractor. I followed your instructions and it saved me a service call. Thanks again.

/ Gear shift stuck in 3rd #10  
My 3016 shuttle had the same thing happen at about the same number of hours. I expect that the linkage needs to wear in. I do keep the linkage greased now as well.