Tractor Fire

/ Tractor Fire #1  

jjmaes22

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035 HST
Well - A very bad start to the morning.

Just got going this morning - after letting the tractor warm up for 5 minutes - start moving across the site to get the plow hooked up. While backing up into the plow I hear a loud pop - and turn around to see the rear of the engine on fire.

I turned off the tractor ASAP and hopped down to get the hood open as soon as possible.

As soon as I got down I could see tons of fluid (not sure if oil or hydraulic fluid) on fire in the engine and under the tractor.

So I jumped back up - restarted it - moved it away from the ground fire ASAP and then re-turned it off - got the hood opened and put out the fire with the little extinguisher that I keep with each piece of equipment that I have.

So - after all of that is done and out - there is more - the whole **** wiring harness is still smoking - as are the relays, etc..
Then I was off to get the battery disconnected and keep that from re-catching.

So - after 10 minutes of work this morning - we are done.

Going to call the dealership ASAP tomorrow morning. Brand new tractor - under warranty and with Mahindra insurance - what do you guys think? Totalled? I know the entire wiring harness is gone - and still unsure what else. I still can't see what happen or what started the fire.

Good news - kept it from all going up in one huge fire - good reason to keep an extinguisher. Bad news - we are in the middle of building 2 buildings - cleaning ground - plowing, etc..

Last edited:
   / Tractor Fire #2  
If the insurance decides to fix it you may have wished you let it burn. Good luck.

/ Tractor Fire #3  
Sorry to hear you went through this. Sounds like something not tightened properly, external oil line?
As long as your engine was off when you dumped that dry powder, I doubt you hurt your engine despite what a mess it is now.
New wiring harness, new paint job, new relays, thorough QC, and figuring out what went wrong so it doesn't happen again, you could be back in business soon.
I wonder if Mahindra would pay the dealer to give you a loaner...

/ Tractor Fire #4  
How many hours on it. The dealer should loan you one in the time being they are fixing yours.

/ Tractor Fire #6  
Sorry to hear about your bad start to the day. Keep us updated on the cause if one is found. I would hope with only 51 hours you will be able to get a loaner until yours is repaired or replaced. Good luck.

/ Tractor Fire #7  

Its not even broke in yet. They should just replace the tractor. It looks real bad on them when a tractor fresh off the lot catches fire.

Did you just do an oil change?

/ Tractor Fire #8  
I'm sincerely sorry to hear about your misfortune. It it were me, I would read the warranty and insurance papers before going to the dealer. This may better prepare you for negotiations. Best wishes.

/ Tractor Fire #9  
mfreund said:
If the insurance decides to fix it you may have wished you let it burn. Good luck.

When my Kubota caught fire I put it out, the dealer told me to "let it burn next time".

/ Tractor Fire
ya - i've heard such things before - but I don't think I could do it. Would be very very hard to watch.

I guess talk to me after this week and see how it goes with the dealer - maybe not so hard next time.

How did things go with the Kubota? End up having a world of problems? or some magic happy ending?