MAX 28 Rotary cutter size

/ MAX 28 Rotary cutter size #1  

MARKMILES77

Tractor
Yanmar EA 2400
Interested in knowing from any Mahindra MAX 28 owners what size Rotary Cutter they are using?
Anyone running a 5' ?

Thanks

Mark

/ MAX 28 Rotary cutter size #2  
I use a 5' finish mower on my 23 HP Kubota L236(not at PTO). I don't have a problem as long as the grass isn't to deep or to thick. I also have a 5' brush cutter that I have used on my L236, but it's a little bit of a slow process. Most of the time I use my 3316 for brush cutting. I think your Max 28 could handle a 5' mower.

/ MAX 28 Rotary cutter size
I use a 5' finish mower on my 23 HP Kubota L236(not at PTO). I don't have a problem as long as the grass isn't to deep or to thick. I also have a 5' brush cutter that I have used on my L236, but it's a little bit of a slow process. Most of the time I use my 3316 for brush cutting. I think your Max 28 could handle a 5' mower.

Not currently an owner of a MAX 28, just considering tractors larger than my Yanmar 2400.
Purchased an additional 6 acres and the 2400 is just a little small for what I need to do. Ideally would like to be able to run a 5' rotary cutter.

Mark

/ MAX 28 Rotary cutter size #4  
Interested in knowing from any Mahindra MAX 28 owners what size Rotary Cutter they are using?
Anyone running a 5' ?

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

While I don't have a Max 28, I do have a 2816 that is similar in spec to the Max 28. The only difference between the Max 28 and the 2816 is weight. You have enough power to run the 5' rotary cutter. I have found 23 PTO HP to be very adequate to run a 5 footer in most conditions. I think the rule of thumb that most use is 5 PTO HP per foot of cutter. The only thing that I see working against you would be the Max 28's weight. I guess it all depends on what type of landscape you are going to be cutting. If it is all flat, then I would say its not a problem, but if you have steep hills, then I might not recommend the 5 footer. Some rotary cutters do vary in weight depending on the robustness.

I have a Kodiak 5 footer with a slip clutch and it specs to weigh in around 515 plus pounds. In most all conditions my 2816 handles the Kodiak just fine, but sometimes if the grass is wet or when am pulling a steep grade, the front of the tractor gets light and will break traction. I leave my FEL on at all times and I have my rear R4 tires filled.

If you were to choose a 4 footer, I can assure you that the Max 28 will make it scream and probably will help you pick up some ground speed while mowing over the 5 footer. Just a thought.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help.

Nelson

Attachments

• IMG-20120331-00238.jpg
    IMG-20120331-00238.jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 324
   / MAX 28 Rotary cutter size #5  
I bought a commercial Z-turn mower last summer, and I can mow twice as fast with that then I can with either of my tractors. I mow alot of grass in the summer and it was worth it too me to have the Z-turn. The Z-turn is much more comfortable then my tractors and literally less of a pain in the rear.

/ MAX 28 Rotary cutter size #6  
Oh, by the way my Z-turn is 5'.

/ MAX 28 Rotary cutter size
Thanks for the replies.

No significant hills on my land so that is not an issue.
Z turn mower probably not for me as most of the grass will only be cut a few times per year when it is fairly long.

Mark

/ MAX 28 Rotary cutter size #8  
I have a 4' cutter, a very heavy International AG model that is built from 3/16 and 1/4 plate 5/16" angle , & 1/2" Flatstock. I weighs as much as a 6' std cutter. I have 16 HP PTO n a ballasted Kubota B7200.
With 23 PTO you should be fine with a 4' or a 5' Get a extra HD 4' if you mow rocks on hills, otherwise the 5' is best.