Is 4WD necessary?

/ Is 4WD necessary?
Sticking with Mahindra, the 5530 is stretching it. The 4025 and 5010 are two 4wd models within my price range. The 5010 is lighter but with more HP than the 4025. I think both are 4 cyl diesels. I spent this past summer putting up a garage for it. Bonuses are distributed in Feb. so I'm looking at March or April to buy. I'm on the southern end of the County.

/ Is 4WD necessary? #22  
What about a choice of tires? I've owned a small Ford (2wd) tractor with AG tires. It did a great job as long as you were going forward. If you had to back up -- good luck, they'd spin. My new tractor has industrial tires and is 4WD. I've not been in snow with it. It seems to want to slip on wet grass if I'm only in 2WD. Pop the lever into 4WD, no spin -- just go (forward or backward). The industrial tires haven't left much of an impression on the ground (but it's been dry this summer). I'm not sure I'd be happy with industrial tires on a 2WD tractor.

/ Is 4WD necessary? #23  
keegs, my big question - how is the land presently being taken care of? Are you hiring it done by people who own 2wd, or 4wd tractors? Since you are new to tractors, why not try renting some, and see what you think about their performance on your land. Perhaps it isn't possible to rent such large tractors. Around my neighborhood the rental yards have only smaller units.

/ Is 4WD necessary? #24  
I agree that looking at a smaller 4x4 model may be a good idea. Size is only relative to what your doing, bigger isn't always better.

/ Is 4WD necessary?
AchingBack,

A neighbor who ran a beef operation was harvesting the hay with a JD tractor but I can't honestly say I know if it was two or four wheel drive. He's retired now.

I've been running ads in CR and have a sign out front but no takers yet. I imagine that someone will be interested sooner or later. But even with someone harvesting it, there's enough cutting and other chores left to do that I need a tractor.

There's a rental outfit about 20 miles from our place. He has a JD 4wd that looks to be about 50hp. I think for about $500 dollars I could rent it with a brush hog for a day with pickup and delivery. That's not a bad idea really. I just hope I'm not persuaded right off the bat that I must have a 4wd. :laughing:

/ Is 4WD necessary? #26  
You have under 100 acres according to your profile...I have just over 200. I use a 50 hp tractor, no row crops, have done hay and grassland prep and all sorts of chores around the place. I ALWAYS leave my tractor in 4wd, when I take it out for a road trip and forget to put it back, it's about 10 minutes until some task reminds me why I have it in 4wd always. I know it costs some $ now, but over the many years you will have the tractor, it will pay for itself in the additional tasks you can get done and the speed and safety that it provides.

If you don't have it, you will often be compensating for the lack. If you do have it, you just get on with the work to be done. That's my :2cents:

/ Is 4WD necessary? #28  
I have owned both. I have a 4WD now and I never ever wish I had a 2WD.
My dad always had 2WD tractors. Once he bought a 4WD Ford 3930, he wouldn't consider going back. I am on my first, and wouldn't consider buying a 2WD. I run a compact Kubota, and 4WD is necessary for my land. I don't know the statistics, but I would imagine that the manufacturers sell many more 4WD than 2WD, for good reason. And, how many 2WD backhoes do you see anymore? 4WD is safer, and opens up more opportunities.
I am surprised that the price difference is that wide- have you compared other brands, to see how their prices compare?

/ Is 4WD necessary? #29  
I too grew up with big two wheel drives. Put a loader on and even with loaded R1's and chains a small 4x4 tractor could run circles around it. If it puts rubber on the ground I want it pullin !:thumbsup:
I would look around for a late model trade to stay in your price comfort zone, I have gone new and used and been very happy both ways. Good luck.

/ Is 4WD necessary? #30  
Looking at your pictures I would say 4wd. I can't imagine having one tractor (have 10), but if I could find a way to have a second (I buy quality used), I would have one of each.