Is 4WD necessary?

/ Is 4WD necessary?
Thanks Guys...someone mentioned how versatile tractors have become over the years and I guess a part of that is the prevalence of 4wd. I suppose it boils down to, if you want the versatility offered in today's utility tractors, you're going to have to pay for it.

It's oftentimes helpful to have this kind of discussion to sort it all out and to get other's perspectives. I much appreciate all your inputs.

Winter is setting in so we won't be making any trips up to the farm for a few months. In the mean time I'm going to continue chewing this over..maybe take another ride out to Bloomsberg and look at the 5010.

Kind regards to you all and thanks again.. Chris K.

/ Is 4WD necessary? #32  
If your property is always dry and it never rains, never going to do any FEL work, only going to pull mowers and plows then you may be happy with 2WD. If your property get wet and it rains and you are going to do FEL work at all then you are just spinning your wheels with 2WD. If you are going 50hp 2WD then just about any 40hp 4WD will do the same work and more.

/ Is 4WD necessary? #33  
I'm wondering what work you are going to do that requires 50 HP. Consider what pto operations, what loader lift requirements you have, and how much plowing and discing you will need to do. That should give you an idea of HP and traction requirements.

You may be able to trade HP for 4wd for same $.

/ Is 4WD necessary? #34  
Thanks Guys...someone mentioned how versatile tractors have become over the years and I guess a part of that is the prevalence of 4wd. I suppose it boils down to, if you want the versatility offered in today's utility tractors, you're going to have to pay for it. /QUOTE]

I couldn't have said it better...exactly:thumbsup:

/ Is 4WD necessary? #35  
We have never owned a 4 wheel for our farms. I have seen a couple times in the last 50 + yrs that one would have been handy. Ken Sweet

And here I thought all this time "Old Maude" was four wheel drive ! :laughing:

Boone

(sorry Ken could'nt help it) :thumbsup: Wishing You All the Best Holiday season comeing up !

Attachments

• imagesCAZ0OJY1.jpg
    imagesCAZ0OJY1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 157
   / Is 4WD necessary? #36  
The biggest factor to me is that 4WD improves traction, both under power and braking. The braking part is even more important in my experience, especially when using the front loader. It makes a huge difference in control and stability.

As far as general traction, I tend to leave my tractor in 2WD most of the time but use 4WD whenever the ground is remotely wet, snowy, or muddy, or if there are any hills or obstacles. It's amazing how little it takes to get a 2WD tractor spinning a tire, and once that happens you're on the way to making the problem worse. And it can get worse in a heartbeat. So in certain conditions, I know to avoid the problem in the first place by preemptively putting it in 4WD.

Some of the cases where the forward traction of 4WD is a must in my experience are loader work where you are pushing into a pile to pick up material, pulling a box blade or other ground-engaging implement in the back, using ropes/cables for tree work (always with a pulley to redirect the pull for safety), and driving onto a trailer in wet weather with implements.

/ Is 4WD necessary? #37  
4WD is nessary, maybe a bit less when you have a backhoe, as the BH is used to get you out of stuck situations. For my needs 4WD is essential, and my BH saved me countless tow calls. over hard surfaces, the hoe can take on almost same terrain as a track hoe.

/ Is 4WD necessary? #38  
4 by 4 is not necessary, nor is a tractor for that matter. You can do lots of work if you have the time and a good shovel, hoe, rake, etc. A tractor is a convience, just like a car, truck, etc... something else to take care of and keep in good shape. It is also usually a long term investment. It is real easy to spend endless hours/days/years contemplating your purchase. You have to think about your current a future needs, and also if this is just a stepping stone tractor in the path of life... Me, I went with bigger and heavier than I need, and even threw in the hoe... 'cuz I knew I would never buy one later... What I am trying to say, sometimes frugal is not the best path for a tractor purchase.... but to each his own. For me, 4 by 4 is a no-brainer...

/ Is 4WD necessary? #39  
If 4WD was truly necessary, no one would be able to make and sell 2WD tractors.

/ Is 4WD necessary? #40  
Since I have hills and FELs I would not be comfortable with a 2wd.