Is 4WD necessary?

/ Is 4WD necessary? #1  

keegs

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5640SUD
I've been tractor shopping for almost a year now. Looked at most major brands new and used. I'm leaning toward the Mahindra and in particular the 5525. I'm still new to tractors, though I've managed to pick up a few things along the way of this year long quest.

I think I need something north of 50 engine horsepower to mow about 50, mostly flat acres and to groom and snowblow a long driveway. I picked up an MF model 41, 7' sickle bar mower this past summer and plan to purchase a brush hog and box blade along with the tractor. The FEL, and blower will likely come later as I feel like I'm biting off quite a bit at this point as it is.

I've been undecided about whether or not 4WD is necessary. I plan to keep the tractor for the duration so my sense of it is, if 2wd does the job, resale won't be an issue. But while the added cost of 4wd is significant, I don't want to lean too hard on cost and get something that's not completely up to the tasks at hand. I'm very comfortable operating the manual gear transmission.

My next door neighbor farms a few hundred acres of potato and grain. He says absolutely no need for 4WD. What say you?

TIA.

/ Is 4WD necessary? #2  
If you are adding a FEL you should get the 4wd. You will need it.

/ Is 4WD necessary? #3  
Necessary? Probably not. But it will make your work easier for a relatively modest investment. 4WD will also add to resale value, if and when that time comes.

/ Is 4WD necessary? #4  
Not wanting to sound like a wise a--, but 4WD is only necessary when you need it. Think about your situation, the uses you intend, the weather, the terrain and your budget. Now, think about when it will be needed and you don't have 4WD. What will you do then?

/ Is 4WD necessary? #5  
If you are gettting a loader then I would say 4wd is a no brainer. But still not necessary.

/ Is 4WD necessary? #6  
Not knowing where you live and the snow conditions, being on flat land for the most part, I don't see why a 4WD is necessary. If you find our later traction is a problem, load the tires. But, many times a smaller tractor can be used for the same job provided it is 4WD. If you get a FEL later, you can still do a lot with a loaded, but maybe not quite as much as a 4WD. Farmers never had 4WD until not all that long ago and they did just fine. I don't know the cost difference between 2WD and 4WD, but if it was close I would still get the 4WD.

/ Is 4WD necessary? #7  
If you have any hills, 4wd is a big safety bonus. Gives you braking on all four corners. Not sure where you are located buy I wouldn't buy a tool designed to pull, which has traction as part of its name by the way, and leave about 50% of its capacity on the table.

/ Is 4WD necessary? #8  
We own 4WD and 2WD tractors; on our hill farms 4WD is necessary, but on our flat land farm, it is nice especially with a FEL but not necessary.

/ Is 4WD necessary? #9  
Is 4wd necessary? No. It it really really handy? Yes. If you choose a large tractor, load the tires and ballast heavy on the 3pt you can use a loader with 2wd. Will it ever be as good as a 4wd tractor? No. Remember when you load your bucket the first thing that happens is you "unload" the rear tires when you need the them the most. Now go down a steep hill with your loaded bucket, and a light rear end, and watch your rear tires break traction.. It can be a wild ride down that hill:shocked: Woo Hoo!.. see you at the bottom! With 4WD when you scoop up a load you have the fronts to keep you moving because they are heavily loaded now and have excellent traction. When you go down that hill, they will keep traction with the road and not slip and allow your brakes and/or compression braking to function. You may be thinking, but wait there are no brakes on the front of tractor anyway? Yes but your axles are mechanically hooked together thru the gearing and the drive-shafts and when you brake on the rear by pressing on the brakes or by compression braking from the engine you also slow down the front axle and that braking is applied to the road. You can go up and DOWN much steeper and slipperier surfaces with 4wd than 2wd. When you are nose down with 2wd and you cannot back out you are done. time to get the come-a-long or your "other" tractor:). if you have 4wd on tap, just engage 4wd and keep on moving. Also as pointed out a smaller 4wd tractor will do the work of a much larger 2wd tractor and what are "tractors" all about? traction. if you reduce traction, you have less tractor. The flatter the ground you operate on, and the drier conditions you operate in, then the less need for 4wd.

James K0UA

/ Is 4WD necessary? #10  
Only time I use 4WD is when I get stuck or think I will in 2WD, which in this clay soil is pretty often.