Starts hard when cold.

/ Starts hard when cold. #1  

Franklin

Hi Folks...have a 1994 Mahindra 4110 that starts hard when it's cold. Use the glo-plug prior to start...cranks quite awhile...ten to fifteen seconds before starting. Starts quickly when warm. Ideas of what the problem might be?

/ Starts hard when cold. #2  
On cold start up, does it smoke much when it finally starts? If so, it could be your glo plug timer, and or bad plug, or two, or three. It does sound like the timer though.

/ Starts hard when cold. #3  
yeah I would say something with the glow plugs

/ Starts hard when cold. #4  
Not sure where ya live but up here everything starts hard when its cold!!! Block heater will help.

/ Starts hard when cold. #5  
Your grid heater could not be cycling... or could be bad. Also, your injector pump might have what they call a KSB solenoid and timer. This solenoid comes on when the key is first turned on to advance the injector timing by raising the injector pump pressure a little for a short period of time to aid in starting. You should check your electrical prints to first see what your tractor has, then trouble shoot from there. My 5035 has a KSB, and I think it is common on a lot of Mahindras.

/ Starts hard when cold.
Hi Folks...thanks to all that responded. We...my son and I...are going to replace the glow plugs first...seeing as it starts right up when it's warm. I live in the southern tip of Maine...near the coast...so it dosn't get super cold here.

/ Starts hard when cold. #7  
Hi Folks...thanks to all that responded. We...my son and I...are going to replace the glow plugs first...seeing as it starts right up when it's warm. I live in the southern tip of Maine...near the coast...so it dosn't get super cold here.

before you spend money on new glow plugs, you can test them with a multimeter. If it is a open circuit it is bad.

here is someone showing how on youtube: 7.3L GLOW PLUG TEST. - YouTube

It is the same on pretty much all diesels. you dont even have to remove the glow plug. for the ground just use good grounding point like the frame or neg bat terminal.

here is another way to test glow plugs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TcuJDd9Hho

/ Starts hard when cold. #8  
Does the glow plug light come on on the dash board? If no light, you need to check power to the glow plugs. If no power there is a fusible link in the harness above the battery that powers the glow circut. You can also test the glow plugs if you have power to them.

/ Starts hard when cold. #9  
I would check the battery for charge. The cold weather can make them weak.

/ Starts hard when cold. #10  
I have a somewhat similar problem with my Deere skid steer. However, mine starts on the first crank. I have to give it some throttle to keep running, it starts at around 1300 rpms then drops real fast to 500-800 rpms before climbing back up to 1300-1500 RPMs, wherever the throttle is set. I have had this problem for a while, my glow plugs do work so to help with cold starts I ordered a block heater and will be performing a service in the near future, it has about 175 hrs on the oil in it. My guess for your problem would be getting a block heater, the one for my Deere was only $78 so they aren't too spendy. :2cents: