Mahindra 2615 Glow plugs

/ Mahindra 2615 Glow plugs #1  

Old Steve

Tractor
Mahindra 2615
I need some help here locating the glow plugs on my 2615. To the novice, there's more than one row of what could be glow plugs on top of the engine. After you get through laughing, please help me out. Thanks. :confused2:

/ Mahindra 2615 Glow plugs #2  
The plugs are attached on top by a metal bar which is attached to an electrical connector which is connected to a wire running to your glo plug timer.

The older 2615's had 3 second timers which caused glo plug failure. If you are having hard starting issues, with smoking upon ignition; you will have to replace the timer, and the plugs. The new plugs are totally different than the new ones. This repair cost about $200, and you can easily do it yourself. Be sure to take you air nozzle and blow away any debris which could fall into the plug holes.

/ Mahindra 2615 Glow plugs #3  
I need some help here locating the glow plugs on my 2615. To the novice, there's more than one row of what could be glow plugs on top of the engine. After you get through laughing, please help me out. Thanks. :confused2:

Not everyone on here, are mechanics, a lot of them like me are just tractor owners. I have found that the guys on here will be more than happy to help you out. Sorry, it won't be me, because I don't know, but they will respond and they won't laugh or at least not out loud.:) Welcome to TBN.

/ Mahindra 2615 Glow plugs #4  
My 2615 has the older 3 second timer. As of today I have 2 bad glow plugs again. This will be the 3rd time since I bought the tractor in 2004 that I am changing the plugs. It only has 421 hours on it and I'm getting tired of changing glow plugs every 100 hours or so. This time I'm going with the upgrade that AchingBack mentioned and replacing the timer, plugs, and lead wire. I just placed my order today. They are easy to change Old Steve, just like plugs on a car.

Its just my opinion but I think Mahindra used the wrong glow plugs from day one. The plugs listed for a 2615 are part # 31A66-03201. All the ones I've bought in the past say 8V on them but my timer applies 12V every time I turn the key. I think that's what causes them to fail. too much voltage. I am told the upgrade kit has 10V plugs so they should last longer.

If you need info on how to change them or even just test them send me a PM.

/ Mahindra 2615 Glow plugs
Thank you for your help on this. I'll be ordering the upgrade.

/ Mahindra 2615 Glow plugs #6  
We have sold alot of the upgrade kits for the 2015 's and 2615 's and have to say the 10 sec glow plugs do seem to last longer. They have a thicker wire(element) in them, so they do not seem to burn out as often and also start better in the cold weather.

MAHINDRA PARTS ONLINE

/ Mahindra 2615 Glow plugs #7  
We had one customer pull all his "glow plugs" and test them. Try as he might, and with all good intentions, he just could not get his "injectors" to glow. Yep, he pulled the injectors and put power to them. And he didn't just put power to one of them. So that was an expensive do-it-yourself project. :rolleyes:

I am proud of guys and gals that learn and do some of this work themselves. But if you can't tell the difference between injectors and glowplugs, you aren't ready "yet" to turn wrenches on that engine, despite an enthusiasm that I admire.

Going with the 10 second kit, as Johnsonauto has mentioned, seems to give a lot more life to the glowplugs.

I appreciate your comments Dave; however, I don't have a dealer near me to work on this. I bought this tractor from you several years ago long distance and would appreciate a little more support from you. I'm being careful, that's why I'm asking questions. Once I determine that I'm capable of replacing these plugs and timer with the upgrade myself, then I'll be ready to order the upgrade. These comments from other folks have been helpful. I don't appreciate your trying to make me look foolish. If these pages aren't to try to help other tractor owners then what good is it?

/ Mahindra 2615 Glow plugs #9  
Old Steve, I did not think that my glow plug vs injector story would be offensive to you because it is not about you. But that particular guy got step by step instructions but apparently needed a video since he seriously did unhook his fuel lines and pulled his injectors and damaged each one.

If you buy the kit and glow plugs, you will find that this is an easy swap. Or get any mechanic that is familiar with Diesel engines to install it. It doesn't have to be a Mahindra dealer. If you have a buddy that has swapped out the glow plugs in his diesel pickup, or similar experience, buy him pizza and do it together.

Old Steve, please accept my apology for unintentionally offending you. And to show my sincerity and appreciation for you as a customer, if you can bring the tractor in to our shop we will install the kit for the price of the kit plus tax only, no labor. That's a one time offer to Old Steve only.

Apology accepted, Dave. No hard feelings. Thanks for the offer, but can't drive it 300 miles round trip on I-5, and no trailer. Will take your advice on getting some help, or installing myself. Will get an order in for the kit. Thanks.