Tractor
    Mahindra 3215 w/ FEL & Kubota M6040 w FEL

Default transmission dip stick problem

Greetings! I am having an issue with my 3215 HST transmission dip stick. My kid got on the tractor one day this summer and stepped on the dip stick. The result was not just a bent handle, but a chewed dipstick. I ordered a new on recently and stuck it in only to find out shortly the same result happened with the new one. Has anyone had this issue before? Any ideas as to what is going on?

Silver Member
    Approved Advertiser

Tractor
    Mahindra's

Default Re: transmission dip stick problem

If i remeber correctly, if the dipstick(loop on top) is facing one way ( I think the loop toward the center) it rubs something in the transmission and if you turn the opposite it does not.( facing outwards, right side).

MAHINDRA PARTS ONLINE

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonauto View Post
    If i remeber correctly, if the dipstick(loop on top) is facing one way ( I think the loop toward the center) it rubs something in the transmission and if you turn the opposite it does not.( facing outwards, right side).

MAHINDRA PARTS ONLINE
    That is what I remember as well. However, I thought the loop pointed out. Can anyone set me straight on which direction to go? Also, I am looking for advice on how to keep this from happening again. At $40 a pop, I could look my diesel fuel fund.

Tractor
    Mahindra 3215HST

Here's a pic of my hydraulic dip stick position. Never had an issue of stepping on it. My seat is adjusted almost all the way back, still my feet never get that far under the seat. A small child sitting in the seat and swinging their feet, I could see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-3684866880-jpg  

'06 Mahindra 3215HST,KMW ML111 FEL,BushHog SBX65 Boxblade,BushHog RZ160 Rotary Cutter,Kasco KOS604 Seeder,Cosmo 250 3PT Spreader,Southern 6' Landscape Rake,Rhino LR 6' Rear Blade

Tractor

MrChris - thanks for the pic. I never had a problem until my 3 year old decided that it was cool to ride with papa. As for the picture, that position is the position I put the dipstick...So, I am back to what the devil is going on?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra -------------

In my 11 years as a Mahindra dealer, I have not run into this problem or even heard about it. This being said I try to picture what could be causing this problem, but can't. Good luck with it.
    Galen LaWall
    Your Mahindra Tractor Dealer
    185 Pearl Street
    Batavia, New York 14020

Tractor

LAWALLSTRACTOR - your post sums up where I am...stumped. Thanks for the input though. It does help me.

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

Look at the dipstick tube carefully. Compare it to one on another tractor.

If the tube has been bent, the dipstick will go into the wrong place every time...
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

Tractor
    Mahindra 3215HST

My best guess is that there is a bend in the dipstick and maybe yours has bent incorrectly enough to be hitting against something rotating in the transmission or perhaps it is the incorrect length. I placed it on the right fender so you might be able to compare with your own. I also tried rotating the dipstick while in the trans to feel if there was any resistance. Didn't feel anything although I am only able to rotate maybe 120 deg with the dipstick fully seated before the handle hits the back wall or the 3 pt adjustment knob. I also tried to look into the trans dipstick hole with a flashlight. It appears the casting (rather than a metal tube) goes down about the same width and depth of the rubber gasket on the dipstick and then opens up. So again it might allow a bent incorrectly dipstick to reach a moving part.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-1493024075-jpg  

'06 Mahindra 3215HST,KMW ML111 FEL,BushHog SBX65 Boxblade,BushHog RZ160 Rotary Cutter,Kasco KOS604 Seeder,Cosmo 250 3PT Spreader,Southern 6' Landscape Rake,Rhino LR 6' Rear Blade

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Many Mahindras

I have a customer that has had this happen. We just replaced the dipstick a couple of weeks ago. The one that was chewed on was straight, no bent at all. The replacement had a bend about 3 inches from the end. The ones in the new 3616's are bent like the one Mr Chris shows about an inch below the rubber. I know that it gets against something but can't seem to recreate it at the shop.

Dave Merritt
    oldgintractors.com