Max28 small issues?

/ Max28 small issues? #1  

linuxman51

Gold Member
Tractor
craftsman lt1000/jd 717a/ mahindra max26 hst
Anyone else have any yet? I've got ~18-19 hours on mine, with a large part of that spent digging out bradford pears (for summary burnination) with the back hoe, and for the most part the tractor has been flawless. I have however noticed/had a few small issues. The wiring on the safety switch for the seat apparently snags on something because it has what appears to be a flex-related failure right at the plug (attached to the front of the seat frame). One wire broke, the other is showing signs of distress. This, of course, made cranking the tractor a bit problematic for a moment, and doesn't really detract from the overall functionality of course, but I was wondering if anyone else had encountered the same? :confused3: Called the dealer, they'll bring the part out whenever it comes in, so no complaints, just curious.

The other possibly larger problem is related to the 3 point hitch system on the tractor. I haven't actually gotten around to using it yet as I don't own any functional attachments at the moment, but when I was removing the trailing arms (I guess that's what they're called, the two lower attachment points that kind of free-float) I discovered that the frame on the right hand side (as sitting on the tractor looking forward) where the pin goes through is not quite 'right'.. as in maybe it was damaged in shipping or something like that. The pin that holds the left arm came out smoothly as expected, the pin on the right side required tools and 'power words'. My concern here is one of more long-term strength and life, as I don't know that it's bad enough to affect immediate functionality. If I had to guess, I'd say the inside hole is up and slightly forward relative to the outside hole, this is based on the somewhat deformed lip around the inside hole. I'll try and get a picture of this, as even re-reading this I'm not sure I can picture what I'm talking about.

the pin goes through the top of the part labeled "D" in this diagram, and it sits between two different parts of the tractor (outer frame and the diff or something like that)
Yanmar Tractor Parts: THREE_POINT_HITCH

but, aside from these two things and it's inability to prevent me from doing stupid things ( :confused2: ) I love it.

/ Max28 small issues? #2  
We encountered the 3 PH problem when installing one of the backhoes. I can't remember if we solved the problem with a rotary file or if we did a little bending on the bracket, but we did solve the problem. Good luck with yours.

/ Max28 small issues? #3  
I have the same problem on the right side. Its tight and needs just a little help to get the pin to go in. The only other problem is the safety switch on the PTO needs adjustment, I have to pull it up to start the tractor sometimes. I looked at my seat safety and it looks beat up. I guessing it happens when the seat is moved for us with the backhoe.

/ Max28 small issues? #4  
My only "small issue" is that the hydro pedal seems to stick slightly causing the tractor to inch along after taking your foot off (only happens going forward).

It is so easy to just put your toe under the pedal and raise it a small amount to correct the situation, however, that I haven't even bothered to get down to take a look at the linkage.

Nothing else comes to mind.

Dennis

/ Max28 small issues? #5  
"Power Words"....lol Love that one!

/ Max28 small issues?
Dealer came out and looked at it, apparently this little mishap will require a seat replacement. Funny thing is.. I articulated the seat and watched how it went through the motions, and I don't really see an obvious snag, so I dunno.

wonder if I can talk em outa the seat, I could use a new one on my lawn tractor :cool2:

/ Max28 small issues?
Man down! Er, well, turn signal down.

It was bound to happen. I was extracting (read:destroying) a bradford pear from adjacent to a 'popcorn' tree, and it knocked the right side rear turn signal off :(

21 hours in and I reckon *I* legitimately broke that. Got the tree though mmmmdamnit. I did notice while I was digging a hole with a tire that the diff lock doesn't appear to want to work. In Low, stop wheels, push the diff lock pedal down, then hit the forward hydro pedal aaannndd... one tire fire and trenching service. careful repositioning of the backhoe and 4wd ultimately prevailed (front tires still in the air), but this is the second time I would have liked the diff lock to at least do something.

The first time was when I got the thing bona-fide stuck.. :D Thank god for nearby roads, long strong ropes, and volvos. The Neighbors haven't commented yet, but I'm sure they were laughing their butts off when they drove by. (fwiw, nothing is worse than the wife pulling the zero turn out of the same ditch with her prius. No pics no proof, but at least two people know the cold hard truth :ashamed: )

I may pull it up on the carport and see if the linkage for the diff lock needs adjustment or something, I'd really like to be able to ruin more grass in one pass while I'm doing shenanigans.

/ Max28 small issues?
nope nothing visibly to adjust, the 'pedal' is attached to an arm that goes in the side of the transmission case. :-/

/ Max28 small issues? #9  
nope nothing visibly to adjust, the 'pedal' is attached to an arm that goes in the side of the transmission case. :-/

My diff lock does not work either. It seems like the pedal is just disconnected. I talked to my dealer about it and he said he would fix it when I brought it in for the 50 hour service but I haven't hit the hours yet.

/ Max28 small issues?
I'll put a call in to mine and see what they say